[net.decus] 8300 questions

awp8101@ritcv.UUCP (Andrew W. Potter) (07/24/86)

From:	ARPA%"W._Michael_Terenyi%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA"

>There are 4 serial lines on the processor, one for the console and
>three spares. I was told to stay away from them, because using one
>of this serial lines will cost 10% of the CPU power due to a bug in
>microcode. Is this really true? If yes, is there a date for a new
>microcode version?

I have not heard of this micro-code bug, but I think the build in ports are
for the console ports for the 2 processors. Since VMS cannot see the console
ports on the processor that running as slave, the most you will see is
is two ports OPA0: and OPA1.

>What are this serial lines intended for? Are there special limits
>for speed? Do they have modem signals? Can they be used for an
>asynchronous DECnet link?

I dont know for sure, but if tradition holds then one will have
modem control for Remote diagnosis and the other wont. In any case
you wont have access to those control signals via "SET TERM", probably
the only way is via the console program, The >>> prompt.

>Who can tell me in terms of performance (I/O throughput, CPU usage,
>memory consumption) the difference between using the synchronous
>and one of the asynchronous ports of a DMB32 (the BI equivalent of
>DMF32) for a DECnet link (9600 baud in either case)?

The DMB-32 is similar to the DMF-32 with the following exceptions.

	All 8 asynch ports have modem control!!!!

	the Synch port can not run up to 64,000 BPS. The DMF-32
	is limited to 19,200

The DMB-32 should be more processor efficient because you are not
going through what is said to be a very slow BI-Unibus adapter.

>Who can give me more technical data about DECserver-200 than just
>"It will support 8 lines and modem signals" ? Is it true, that a
>DECserver-200 line does not support asynchronous DECnet?

Thats all news to me!!

>Why is the VAX8300 sold with 12 MB of memory only, despite the possible
>maximum of 14 MB? I was told not to buy 2 MB extra memory.

The 8200/8300 has a fixed number of BI slots. Since the 8300 has
an extra processor card, something had to go. That something is
most likely a memory board. (you could toss your DMB-32 board).

Andrew Potter
Systems Programmer
Rochester Institute of Technology
BITNET:		awpsys@ritvaxd.BITNET