[net.decus] TK50 Problems / suggestions

crowell@kryptn.dec.com (Jon Crowell | 223-9757 | MLO5-5/T90) (08/13/86)

Could you share some more of your TK50 stories, good and bad.
If you have any suggestions on how to make the drive better
please include them.

Thanks for any info

Jon~

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (08/16/86)

In article <4775@decwrl.DEC.COM>, crowell@kryptn.dec.com (Jon Crowell | 223-9757 | MLO5-5/T90) writes:
> Could you share some more of your TK50 stories, good and bad.
> If you have any suggestions on how to make the drive better
> please include them.
>
> Thanks for any info
>
> Jon~

  Well, I believe suggestions are always better than criticisms.  So here are
  a few (as a result of wressstling with 2 of the little monsters for the
  past two months on Ultrix-based uVaxes):

   1. provide documentation that correlates a bit more accurately with what
      the software is doing (this applies to the entire Ultrix documentation
      set, actually);
   2. provide a meaningful operation manual for the drive itself;
   3. provide an option or two in backup and restore that take into account
      the fact that this is not a 1200/2400 ft, 1600 bpi reel-to-reel tape
      drive;
   4. ask Hewlett-Packard to sell you the source for their tcio utility.
      HP spent a lot of time and money designing a smoothly functioning cart-
      ridge drive.  But, being concerned with their customers' backup require-
      ments (i.e., reasonable speed, error-free, and as hassle-free as
      possible), HP wrote a utility (tcio) which buffers between the system
      software and the drive itself, causing it to stream as much as possible,
      thereby reducing wear-and-tear very considerably;
   5. substantially improve the insertion/extraction mechanism, reducing jams,
      failed backups, and destroyed cartridges to the very infrequent events
      they should be.

  thank you.   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) (08/19/86)

In article <4775@decwrl.DEC.COM> crowell@kryptn.dec.com (Jon Crowell | 223-9757 | MLO5-5/T90) writes:
>Could you share some more of your TK50 stories, good and bad.
>If you have any suggestions on how to make the drive better
>please include them.
>
>Thanks for any info
>
>Jon~

Jon,

	Well, a complete redesign for reliability would be nice.. :-)
One of my biggest complaints is that the leader in the drive 'falls off'
quite frequently from it's normal resting place.  That should be cured.
Also, when that occurs, the only way you usually find out is when you hear the
leader whipping around inside the drive.  By that time, you probably have
shredded the end of the thing.  Now, it isn't too hard to replace, if you
have any coordination, but fr one thing: Digital will not provide replacement
parts!  I use a MicroVAX II at Grumman Aerospace in Bethpage, and when our
TK50 failed, Grumman Data Systems [which repairs DEC equipment] told me
they would have to buy an entire new drive - they are unable to get parts
from DEC.  It would end up costing up $2500 for a $0.25 piece of plastic!
As it was, we sent the drive unit back to the vendor, who in turn had it
repaired or replaced.  Meanwhile, we were without backups for over a month.

	The drive seems to be prone to reliability problems - reminds me
of the 8-track cassette, which finally has given up the ghost [thank
goodness!].  I do like the fact it stores 95 Megs, but methinks the TK50
should be overhauled, *AND* an upgrade should be made available to all
current model for *FREE*.  After all, fair's fair.  By the way, Jon,
where are you in all this? :-)

-dg-

[please respond to ...gould!clutx!bh0u - I'm just leaching off of helm's
machine until I get dragged kicking and screaming back to Clarkson..]

Note: The above consists of my opinions only, not necessarily those
of Grumman Aerospace, Grumman Data Systems, Digital Equipment Corp.,
helm, or the New York Mets.  [Of course, others may agree.. For a small
charge.]