[net.decus] Is larger hard disk possible for Pro-350, Venix 1.0, w/o DEC?

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP ((alan i. vymetalik)) (10/26/86)

In article <1517@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> bugoff2@violet.berkeley.edu() writes:

>Can I put a larger than my current 10-meg hard disk in my Pro-350,
>running Venix 1.0, without paying tribute to DEC in the form of hardware
>or Venix upgrades?
>
>Jim Bradley
>UC Berkeley Entomology

   The answer to the $64 question is: yes.  However, I do not have any
hard cold facts.  ST-225 20 Mbyters will work fine and you can find them
for around $400 if you look hard enough.  One warning, better check the
specs on the drive before you buy.  Make sure they're up in the same
area as the RCD31-A/UX that DEC uses.  You can run into timing problems
with the controller if you find an ST-225 drive that is slow.

   You may want to check out "The DEC MicroLetter: The Newsletter for
Owners of DEC's Forgotten Systems" published by Ted Needleman (of
Hardcopy fame) and Microtechnology Associates, Inc., PO Box J, New City,
NY, 10956.  Columnist Henry Collins writes the "Pro Prospective" which
will cover the use of an ST-225 (for $400) in the Pro.  It costs $2495
for a DEC version of the ST-225 and * $3,995 * for an RCD52 33MB drive!
That's nuts!  I can buy a 71MB drive for my Rainbow systems for $1795!
I mean, I fully understand quality control, but $2095 worth?!

   Alan

   "Don't mind me.  I am just visiting this planet!"
                                   alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   bitnet:                           aiv1974@ritvaxd

   "All standard disclaimers apply.  I have no affiliation with
   any of the above mentioned companies."