[can.general] Belligerent nations

gwhawkins@watrose.UUCP (gwhawkins) (04/01/85)

> Calling Israel "belligerent" ignores the fact that the state
> has been under attack since its establishment in 1948.  Also, the fact
> that Israel has put some of Iraq's nuclear capacity out of commission has
> been omitted.
> Brian Nixon.

I think your second comment undermines your statement.  Isreal blew-up the
Iraqi Nuclear Powerplant because they don't want anyone "else" to have
the bomb in the area.  I would equate this to the US waging war on the
USSR in 1950 to get them before they got the bomb.

		larry fast (Universty of Waterloo)
		broadcasting from exile

gershon@utcsri.UUCP (Ron Gershon) (04/03/85)

> > Calling Israel "belligerent" ignores the fact that the state
> > has been under attack since its establishment in 1948.  Also, the fact
> > that Israel has put some of Iraq's nuclear capacity out of commission has
> > been omitted.
> > Brian Nixon.
>
> I think your second comment undermines your statement.  Isreal blew-up the
> Iraqi Nuclear Powerplant because they don't want anyone "else" to have
> the bomb in the area.  I would equate this to the US waging war on the
> USSR in 1950 to get them before they got the bomb.
>
> 		larry fast (Universty of Waterloo)
> 		broadcasting from exile

Israel's reason for blowing up the Iraqi reactor was as a result of declarationsmade by Iraq's President that one day they will use the bomb against the
"Zionists". Apparently only Israel took these declarations seriously, but maybe
some of the mustard gas victims hospitalized recently in Europe may prove that
they are willing to use ANYTHING in their "Holy War". Israel tried for at least
3 years to persuade France (and other Western countries) to prevent them
from selling nuclear technology, but apparently the French have other ideas
about sales of weapons to countries involved in conflicts (eg, Exocet...)
Judging by the world's reaction after the bombing, I do not think that there
were too many nations crying over the loss of the reactor (including the USSR)
and that takes into account the Americans' withholding of an F-16 shipment
(which was in effect only a couple of months).

As was mentioned over the net -- if Israel is doing well with convetional
weapons, why should they use nuclear warfare?

		Ron Gershon

--
		Ron  Gershon

		Usenet:	 {ubc-vision,utzoo,watmath,allegra,cornell,
			   decvax,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!gershon
		CSNET:	gershon@Toronto
		ARPA:	gershon%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

dave@lsuc.UUCP (04/03/85)

In article <7408@watrose.UUCP> Larry Fast@watrose.UUCP (gwhawkins) writes:
||                                                        Israel blew-up the
||Iraqi Nuclear Powerplant because they don't want anyone "else" to have
||the bomb in the area.  I would equate this to the US waging war on the
||USSR in 1950 to get them before they got the bomb.

Hardly. Iraq, along with several other Arab nations, is in a permanent
state of war with Israel. Since it came into existence, Israel has had
to fight for its life. In that context, it's quite reasonable to understand
it developing a nuclear capability. Belligerent? How about basic
self-defense. Israel poses no threat to Iraq nor any of the other
countries in the Middle East, if they'd only leave it alone.
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

ksbszabo@wateng.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (04/04/85)

There is a solution to the agressive tendancies of nations.
As was observed elsewhere (fa-arms.d) agression is often a
side effect of the male leader having a little too much
testosterone in the blood stream.  Well, I have a vet friend who
can get us a good deal on some chem-cast, you know, the
stuff that makes nice docile `its' out of raging bulls
(their trade mark is `No-bull', something we need here).

Reagan and Gorbachev would probably be a lot less concerned
about chucking missles if their balls fell off.

		Kevin
--
Kevin Szabo  watmath!wateng!ksbszabo (U of Waterloo VLSI Group, Waterloo Ont.)