[can.general] General research for/by the military.

eugene@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (04/04/85)

My friend and I have been closely following the pro/anti SDI arguments
raging on this network.  We do not think that this sort of discussion is
appropriate in can.general, but here goes...

Question: Is all military money 'dirty money'?

We have seen a lot of SDI arguments lately, both here, in the press, and
on TV.  However, we would like to know, of all those people who have posted
anti-SDI articles, how many of them would accept money from the military at
all, never mind the SDI money.

We feel that people should not argue about SDI funding by saying that
SDI is dangerous/evil/destabilizing when in fact they believe that all
military money is dirty money.
SDI _is_ controversial, however, we do not think it should be used as a
smokescreen by people that believe any military money should not be taken.
These people should argue against military money in itself, and should
not limit the argument to pros and cons of SDI.

--

Malcolm MacPhail, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

gwhawkins@watrose.UUCP (gwhawkins) (04/05/85)

I would accept military funding, but I wouldn't accept it for building
SDI, or missiles of any kind (even though I would love to work on
high tech control systems).  The difference between these systems
and other military equipment is the dehumanizing aspect.  War is only
unthinkable to those who have experienced war.  What we are developing
today is a race of people who can accept war without thinking because
we don't have to actually pull a trigger.

Maybe I'm only denying "progress", but I think that there would be alot
less death involved (more violence, but less death and suffering) if
we all had to lineup facing each other with our bare hands in order to
wage war.

I think for now we would be much better off with a strong army/navy
than with an expensive SDI system.  If the opposition wants to
Nuke us out of existence, thats fine because we'll be dead and they'll
be suffering.  If we have a strong ground based defense the only
thing the enemy can do is Nuke us which, I think/hope, is morally
unthinkable on both sides.

If Isreal relied on it's Bomb(s) the way the US does, we would have
had our third, fourth and fifth nuclear weapons go off in anger
by now.

		larry fast (Universty of Waterloo)
		broadcasting from exile

PS I know my arguements are terribly rational or well thought out, but
   then again, is war rational?

> ...  War is only
> unthinkable to those who have experienced war.  What we are developing
> today is a race of people who can accept war without thinking because
> we don't have to actually pull a trigger.

I hate to point this out, but this particular development occurred two
millennia ago.  Not since ancient Greece have the people voting for a
war actually been the same ones who then had to fight it.  Surely you
don't think the people who actually pull the triggers have much of a
say in whether war is declared?

Not that it wouldn't be a good idea, mind you...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) (04/08/85)

Since noone else has done so yet, I'm going to go on record as
unwilling to accept money from military sources for ANY kind of
research.  I think we are very fortunate in Canada that CS research in
universities has not been funded much from military budgets, and view
the situation in the States with unhappiness.
  Research aimed at reducing our dependence on weapons (for instance,
the Build-Down idea mentioned in these columns) should be supported by
a ministry with fewer vested interests in the status quo, if for no
other reason.
		Julian Davies

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (04/08/85)

In article <7421@watrose.UUCP> gwhawkins@watrose.UUCP (gwhawkins) writes:
>............  If we have a strong ground based defense the only
>thing the enemy can do is Nuke us which, I think/hope, is morally
>unthinkable on both sides.

Or blackmail us into subjugation. At any rate, judging by the way the
Soviet Government treats its citizens I tend to think one would be hard
pressed to apply the term 'moral' to it.

                                                J.B. Robinson

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (04/08/85)

In article <487@deepthot.UUCP> julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) writes:
>Since noone else has done so yet, I'm going to go on record as
>unwilling to accept money from military sources for ANY kind of
>research.  I think we are very fortunate in Canada that CS research in
>universities has not been funded much from military budgets, and view
>the situation in the States with unhappiness.
>  Research aimed at reducing our dependence on weapons (for instance,
>the Build-Down idea mentioned in these columns) should be supported by
>a ministry with fewer vested interests in the status quo, if for no
>other reason.
>		Julian Davies

Julian,   I respect and admire your opinions,  but I am afraid that
this is one subject on which we disagree.  Julian,  if the DOD was to
offer me money for rehabilitation, medical, or other non-death-dealing
research,  I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

If they were to offer me money to invesitgate anti-terrorism tactics,
CBW,  etc., I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Why?  Because acting virtuous and trying to wash your hands of a dirty situation
is only one way of dealing with it.

I liken this type of attitude to some members of the "Right to Life",
groups, which are not only against abortion,  but also against birth
control education in the primary/secondary school system,  free birth
control aid distribution, etc.  While the analogy is not identical,
I hope you see the point.

Patrick ("Hmmm...  The IRA is funding research into mail handling techniques.")
	Powell

clarke@utcs.UUCP (Clarke, Jim) (04/09/85)

In article <2255@wateng.UUCP> padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) writes:
>In article <487@deepthot.UUCP> julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) writes:
>>Since noone else has done so yet, I'm going to go on record as
>>unwilling to accept money from military sources for ANY kind of
>>research.
>
>Julian,   I respect and admire your opinions,  but I am afraid that
>this is one subject on which we disagree.  Julian,  if the DOD was to
>offer me money for rehabilitation, medical, or other non-death-dealing
>research,  I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

(The comments below are not intended as a reflection on either of the people
quoted above.  The quotations are only reminders of what's going on.)

I believe this discussion started when someone proposed that we should be less
willing to accept criticism of Star Wars specifically from people who disap-
proved of taking military money generally.  Here is a hypothetical debate
that I intend to illustrate the logical status of this claim:

A:  We should repeal the law that imposes hanging as the penalty for throwing
    candy-wrappers into the street.  [I told you it was hypothetical!]
B:  Ah, but you're against capital punishment in any form.  I won't listen to
    any of your arguments.
A:  (faints, throws brick -- whatever you like)

In other words, the fact that a debater would argue against taking military
money under any circumstances, using more general (and presumably weaker)
arguments, does not render suspect his/her using quite strong arguments that
apply specifically to Star Wars.  The suggestion that such comments *are*
suspect verges on the ad hominem, and I'm surprised that certified computer
scientists would use it :-) ....   ("Smiley face" used to indicate that I
have certainly been known to use arguments of similar quality myself!)

peter@yetti.UUCP (Runge) (04/10/85)

> Question: Is all military money 'dirty money'?
> We have seen a lot of SDI arguments lately, both here, in the press, and
> on TV.  However, we would like to know, of all those people who have posted
> anti-SDI articles, how many of them would accept money from the military at
> all, never mind the SDI money.
> . . . .
> SDI _is_ controversial, however, we do not think it should be used as a
> smokescreen by people that believe any military money should not be taken.
> These people should argue against military money in itself, and should
> not limit the argument to pros and cons of SDI.
> Malcolm MacPhail, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
> Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

I'm one of those who think that military money is "dirty". That follows
(for me) from my rejection of the aims of the military (-industrial)
establishment.  But I do not see why that prevents me from considering
SDI on its own terms as a particularly dangerous form of militarism,
and one which impinges on me directly in its impact on AI research,
thereby affecting (infecting?) an intellectual community in which I have
some interest.

By the way, the use of the term "smokescreen" is curious to say the
least.  Suppose someone is against the use of torture, and we find out
that he is also opposed to authoritarian regimes.  Does his opposition
of torture then become a 'smokescreen' for his political views? In general,
if P implies Q, and I assert Q, am I somehow being deceptive if it turns
out I also believe P??
Subject: Re: General research for/by the military.
--
   Peter H. Roosen-Runge, Department of Computer Science, York University
                          Toronto (Downsview), Ontario

                     * *Our* universe is not merely bankrupt; there remains
                     * no dividend at all; it has not simply liquidated; it
                     * is going clean out of existence ...
                     *                          H. G. Wells, 1945

> A:  We should repeal the law that imposes hanging as the penalty for throwing
>     candy-wrappers into the street.  [I told you it was hypothetical!]
> B:  Ah, but you're against capital punishment in any form.  I won't listen to
>     any of your arguments.
> A:  (faints, throws brick -- whatever you like)

It's not quite so ridiculous if you make it a closer analogy to the SDI
discussion, by changing A's initial line to something like:

	A: The law that imposes hanging as the penalty for throwing
	candy-wrappers into the street is logically inconsistent and
	utterly unenforceable, and hence should be repealed.

Note that he isn't just advocating a course of action, he is offering
specific reasons to support his cause.  Now consider a modified reply:

	B: Can you prove that the law is inconsistent and so forth, or
	are you just saying that because you want it repealed anyway?

B may be impugning A's honesty, but he is not being silly.

> In other words, the fact that a debater would argue against taking military
> money under any circumstances, using more general (and presumably weaker)
> arguments, does not render suspect his/her using quite strong arguments that
> apply specifically to Star Wars.

It does not render his arguments invalid, but it offers some reason for
hesitating to accept them without detailed proof.  There are people in
the world who have such a bias against anything labelled "military" that
they don't care about its merits and strengths; all they care about is
whether it has weak points that they can use to attack it.  Such people
remain worth listening to, but skepticism is definitely in order.

Of course, one also finds such people on the other side of the debate.

The first thing they teach you in a good history course is that you must
always consider the biases of your sources.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

clarke@utcs.UUCP (Clarke, Jim) (04/11/85)

In article <5452@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>It does not render his arguments invalid, but it offers some reason for
>hesitating to accept them without detailed proof.
	Does that mean (since I *would* accept military money in easily-
	imagined circumstances) that you will accept my arguments more
	readily than Julian <sorry, I forget the last name>'s?

	(Actually, of course, the previous parenthesis is there in exactly
	that hope.  We're talking about a natural human tendency, but not
	a respectable one.)

> In article <5452@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >It does not render his arguments invalid, but it offers some reason for
> >hesitating to accept them without detailed proof.
> 	Does that mean (since I *would* accept military money in easily-
> 	imagined circumstances) that you will accept my arguments more
> 	readily than Julian <sorry, I forget the last name>'s?
>
> 	(Actually, of course, the previous parenthesis is there in exactly
> 	that hope.  We're talking about a natural human tendency, but not
> 	a respectable one.)

Not quite so clear-cut.  Unwillingness to take military money is not
a definitive sign of the sort of bias I was talking about, and for that
matter, willingness to take it is not a definitive sign of absence of
said bias.  But it is a strong hint, enough to modulate my degree of
skepticism somewhat.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) (04/16/85)

My own view in brief, of course, is that I personally wouldn't take
military funding for any kind of research, not knowingly anyway, but I
also think that the SDI idea is more than usually unfortunate for
various reasons specific to that proposal.  My reason for the more
general stand is rooted in religious belief, and I recognise that this
isn't something which can be 'proved' correct by purely rational
arguments.
(BTW, someone mentioned a lack of comment by laser physiciists, etc;
there has ben a whole series of articles in _Scientific American_ over
the last two years or so, discussing various aspects of defence policy
and related technologies.  October 84 has an article specifically
about SDI, for what it's worth.)
	with best wishes,  Julian Davies

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (James H. Andrews) (04/16/85)

In article <5469@utzoo.UUCP> (among others) henry@utzoo.UUCP writes:
>Not quite so clear-cut.  Unwillingness to take military money is not
>a definitive sign of the sort of bias I was talking about, and for that
>matter, willingness to take it is not a definitive sign of absence of
>said bias.  But it is a strong hint, enough to modulate my degree of
>skepticism somewhat.

I have this vision of Mr. Spencer rocking back in his chair stroking his chin
and making pronouncements like this. "How hypocritical", says he, "for people
who wouldn't take military money anyway to organize opposition to SDI."

Meanwhile, who's to say he doesn't support SDI just because he wants all
the military money he can get?
                                   (-: --Jamie. :-)

> I have this vision of Mr. Spencer rocking back in his chair stroking his chin
> and making pronouncements like this. "How hypocritical", says he, "for people
> who wouldn't take military money anyway to organize opposition to SDI."

Please don't put words in my mouth.  What I said was, "*some* of the
people opposing SDI *may* be doing it out of reflex opposition to
anything military, not because they really think it wouldn't work".
Note that there would be nothing hypocritical about such people organizing
opposition to SDI.  What would be hypocritical would be lying about their
motives to try to win converts to their cause.  "Well, we know you don't
share our emotional opposition to it, so we won't mention that; we'll
just put together whatever flimsy justifications we can.  Doesn't matter
if they're true, so long as they convince you to support our Crusade."

Unwillingness to take military money (even for unquestionably-beneficial
work like medical research) is reason to wonder about someone's motives
for opposing SDI, and about the reliability of his statements.  Not cause
to firmly disbelieve them, mind you, just cause for caution.  If his
biases are that strong, maybe they're affecting his judgement.

"Do not stoop to tie your laces in your neighbor's melon patch."  People
who have obvious biases on the subject of anything military should expect
to have their motives for opposing SDI questioned.

> Meanwhile, who's to say he doesn't support SDI just because he wants all
> the military money he can get?

Military money?  For computer facilities in a Zoology department?  I wish.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) (04/17/85)

It seems implausible to me that there are researchers who are opposed
to taking military money, but who aren't interested enough in the SDI
proposal in particular to formulate a specific position with respect
to it.  It seems much more likely that the people who don't *think*
much about SDI one way or another are those who are quite comfortable
with taking money from wherever they can get it.  But that may just be
my biasses showing!	Julian Davies