[can.general] O Canada vs. New York

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (09/24/85)

In article <2537@watcgl.UUCP> sahayman@watcgl.UUCP (Steve Hayman) writes:
>Isaac Dimitrovsky writes (from New York) about the running O Canada controversy:
>
>>Oh well, I don't think anybody in Canada knows the words either.
>>
>Um, do you have any statistics to back up this strange statement?  I know
>it's sort of a running gag up here that nobody knows the words (especially
>since a slight modification of the first verse a few years ago) but
>never have I met any Canadian who doesn't know either the new version
>or the old version.  They do teach this in school!

Actually, they don't teach all the words in school. A couple of
years ago, the person invited to sing the anthems at Exhibition
Stadium sang the words to the second verse. Toronto fans, not
realizing what he was doing and thinking he was making up new
words, booed him! What's worse, the Toronto newspapers picked up the
story that he'd made up new words and published it. Not until a
day later did the editors realize that it was the second verse.

	O Canada
	Where pines and maples grow
	Great prairies spread
	And lordly rivers flow
	How dear to us thy broad domain
	From east to western sea
	Thy land of hope for all who toil
	We stand on guard for thee

(I think that's right. I learned it many years ago.)

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

shindman@utcs.uucp (Paul Shindman) (09/24/85)

Ok...you trivia buffs and nationalists...what's the 3rd verse???

I'll post it in a couple of days (if nobody else does, and if I can
find my music book at home with it...)
--
-----------------
Paul Shindman, U of T Computing Services, Toronto (416) 978-6878

tbray@mprvaxa.UUCP (Tim Bray) (09/25/85)

If you want to be really nauseated, go look up the first verse in French.
Enough to turn you into an instant separatist.

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) (09/25/85)

In article <638@mprvaxa.UUCP> tbray@mprvaxa.UUCP (Tim Bray) writes:
>If you want to be really nauseated, go look up the first verse in French.
>Enough to turn you into an instant separatist.

Aaargh!  When I was a kid, so long ago that people thought "God Save The
Queen" was the national anthem, when we learned "O Canada" we learned it
in both English and French.  I don't recall being nauseated, nor am I
nauseated now by what I remember of the French version.  (One consequence
of learning O.C. as a second-string anthem is that while I remember all
of G.S.T.Q., and even parts of the second verse, I only remember bits of
O.C., some bits in English and some in French.)  It's a conservative,
religious, nineteenth-century anthem -- what do you want in an anthem
written in a conservative, religious, nineteenth-century country?  At
least in French it's original.

Remember, the English equivalent to O Canada is "The Maple Leaf Forever"
-- I might have the title wrong, but you remember that stuff about Wolfe
the donkless hero and planting firm Britannia's flag? ... instant
separatism there, if you're French Canadian.  Neither of us is pure,
but *ours* contains explicitly offensive material.

Maybe I'm flaming at a straw man (sounds like fun).  If so, I apologize
for misreading Tim's message.  But people do seem to be jumping on the
old national anthem lately.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

lesperan@utai.UUCP (Yves Lesperance) (09/25/85)

In <638@mprvaxa.UUCP>, Tim Bray (tbray@mprvaxa) writes:

> If you want to be really nauseated, go look up the first verse in French.
> Enough to turn you into an instant separatist.

As a not so atypical French Canadian, I must confess that I haven't been turned
into an instant separatist by the "O Canada".  Do you attribute the loss of
the Yes side in the referendum to lack of exposure to the anthem?

More seriously, I fail to find anything offensive in that first verse, "O
Canada, terre de nos aieux".  I simply perceive that as a reference to our
attachment to the land, our family and ancestry, and history.  I feel that these
values are still deeply ingrained in the French Canadian psyche.  Overall, I
certainly agree that the anthem is dated; Quebec society has changed
dramatically since those rural and religious days.  But I find that the
datedness of the song gives it a certain charm, and there's a lot in it that is
still valid.

I am not familiar with other countries's anthems, so I can't really compare.
But what would you want to replace it with?  A version of the theme from Rambo
Should we put in a reference or two to the latest political mood shift,
lees government, less taxes, and a BMW in every driveway?

Yves Lesperance
---------------

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (09/26/85)

>In <638@mprvaxa.UUCP>, Tim Bray (tbray@mprvaxa) writes:
>> If you want to be really nauseated, go look up the first verse in French.
>> Enough to turn you into an instant separatist.

Oh Canada, Terre de nos aieux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux,
Car ton bras sait porter l'epee,
I sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une epopee,
De plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempee,
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits,
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits.

Well, maybe all the religious references are quaint and dated, but after I
finally understood what was wet with what (about 2 years ago only), I learned
to appreciate this quite a bit, especially since I grew up with
"La Marseillaise", which has got to be one of the bloodiest and most
disgusting anthems in the whole world.  Oh Canada is pretty nice.  How many
other anthems talk about rights?
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

shindman@utcs.uucp (Paul Shindman) (09/26/85)

In article <729@utai.UUCP> lesperan@utai.UUCP (Yves Lesperance) writes:
>In <638@mprvaxa.UUCP>, Tim Bray (tbray@mprvaxa) writes:
>
>> If you want to be really nauseated, go look up the first verse in French.
>> Enough to turn you into an instant separatist.
>

>More seriously, I fail to find anything offensive in that first verse, "O
>Canada, terre de nos aieux".  I simply perceive that as a reference to our
>attachment to the land, our family and ancestry, and history.  I feel that these
>values are still deeply ingrained in the French Canadian psyche.  Overall, I
>certainly agree that the anthem is dated; Quebec society has changed
>dramatically since those rural and religious days.  But I find that the
>datedness of the song gives it a certain charm, and there's a lot in it that is
>still valid.

The only part that I find should be changed is the "porter la croix", since
in our, ahem, wonderfully multi-cultural and diverse community (blech, sounds
like a campaign speech) there are many who do not carry a cross. Since the
english version was recently changed, I wouldn't mind seeing this line
altered slightly.

Actually, I liked the late Roger Ducet's(sp?) version the best "...we stand
on gaurd for rights and liberty...".
--
-----------------
Paul Shindman, U of T Computing Services, Toronto (416) 978-6878
USENET: {ihnp4|decvax}!utcs!shindman
BITNET: paulie at utoronto     IP SHARP MAIL: uoft

robertj@garfield.UUCP (Robert Janes) (09/28/85)

About Canadians not knowing the second verse of Oh Canada.

There are several different versions of Oh Canada in English, all
with minor and not so minor differences. There is however one version
which has been officially adopted as Canada's national anthem by
Parliament. This is the "....rights and liberty..." version and has no
second verse. The government is encouraging people to learn the words
of this version as the offical national anthem. In fact when I was up
on Signal Hill ( in St. John's ) at 5:00 am July 1 they had little cards
printed up with the offical French and English versions.

							Cheers
							Robert Janes

phyllis@utcsri.UUCP (Phyllis Eve Bregman) (09/30/85)

The day after the O Canada fiasco, WPLJ, the number one rock
station in New York City, apologized to all Canadians living
in the area for the unmannerly conduct of the US citizens at
the game, that is, the boos, hisses, thrown eggs, etc., and
played O Canada on the radio.

--
		Phyllis Eve Bregman
		CSRI, Univ. of Toronto

lake@alberta.UUCP (Robert Lake) (09/30/85)

> Ok...you trivia buffs and nationalists...what's the 3rd verse???

	O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies
	May stalwart sons and gentle maidens rise,
	To keep thee steadfast through the years
	From East to Western Sea,
	Our own beloved native land!
	Our True North, strong and free!

If there are any mistakes, please let me know.

					Robert Lake (alberta!lake)
					University of Alberta

shindman@utcs.uucp (10/01/85)

In article <668@alberta.UUCP> lake@alberta.UUCP (Robert Lake) writes:
>> Ok...you trivia buffs and nationalists...what's the 3rd verse???
>
>	O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies
>	May stalwart sons and gentle maidens rise,
>	To keep thee steadfast through the years
>	From East to Western Sea,
>	Our own beloved native land!
>	Our True North, strong and free!
>
>If there are any mistakes, please let me know.
>					Robert Lake (alberta!lake)
>					University of Alberta

My congratulations to Rob...the words are correct...and now (drum
roll in background)...the moment you've been waiting for....

....the 4th verse to O Canada...

       Ruler Supreme, Who hearest humble pray'r
       Hold our Dominion, in Thy loving care
       Help us to find, O God in Thee
       A lasting rich reward,
       As waiting for the better day
       We ever stand on gaurd!

According to the music book I have (copyrighted in 1933) the
words were by His Ho. R. Stanley Weir D.C.L. and the melody,
of course, was by Lavallee.
--