[can.general] Access to US systems via DATAPAC

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/18/86)

> From: daniel@sickkids.UUCP (Daniel Guerin )
> I am trying to find out how systems in the US on networks such as
> TELENET, TYMNET and UNINET can be accessed from DATAPAC in Canada.

I regularly access the MTS system at Wayne State University,
which is on Telenet, and I also deal extensively with
Datapac access to this system, so I can provide some answers.

> Specifically, I am looking for answers to the following:
>  - Can these systems be accessed via the public DATAPAC dialup
>    access available in most Canadian cities?  Or do we have to obtain
>    a network user ID?

They can be accessed from the public dial ports, provided the
U.S. system allows reverse charging (same as for accessing Canadian
nodes).

>  - If access can be done through the public ports, DATAPAC charges have to be
>    handled by the remote host; does this has to be arranged by the host,
>    or are the charges automatically passed on to the US network it is
>    connected to?

If they're set up for reverse charging, it will happen
automatically. The MTS system at Wayne State knows how
much the charges are, and reports to me at the end of each
session the network charges billed to my account as well as
the system's own charges.

Note that access from the public dial ports is substantially
more expensive than from a Datapac 3000 node. Note also
that the charges as a whole are horrendous compared to
Datapac-only. I sign on for computer conferencing there,
and a session which consists mostly of me reading at 1200 baud
ends up costing $60-100 an hour, most of which is network charges.

>  - If I have a TELENET or other host number, how do I construct the
>    DATAPAC request?  I have seen many formats, and there does not seem
>    to be any logic to it (e.g. sometimes spaces are required, sometimes
>    it is not all numeric).  Is this documented?

It's documented in the Datapac 3101 manual, I believe. Anyway,
here's what you do. First, turn the Telenet address into an
8-digit number by putting 0's in the middle. So, the Merit
system which is the front-end for Wayne State is 313 202
(the first three digits are usually the same as the local
telephone area code). So you turn that into 31300202.
Then you prepend 1 (for international calls, just like
phone calls) and 3110 (which is Telenet; Tymnet and so on
have other numbers, which are listed in the Datapac manual).
In other words, I type
	1311031300202
to Datapac (well, my modem does, but that's what I told it to).

>  - There seem to be a way to alter some DATAPAC parameters, e.g. duplex,
>    break handling, flow control etc... Is this documented somewhere?

Also in the Datapac 3101 manual. You get into Datapac command
mode either before your connection (at the point where you're
typing the address) or by typing ctrl-P while you're connected
(2 CRs are needed to get back on-line then). There are several
commands you can type, including "clr" (clear the call);
"stat" (get status of the line). The one you want for
parameters is "set", e.g.,
^Pset 2:0	turns off echoing on your local PAD
 set  2:1	turns on echoing

There are lots of parameters. As well as the Datapac manual,
you can get roughly equivalent information from the user manual
for any PAD, if you have one.

> In the past, I have tried to setup links to various systems and have always
> failed.  Typically the host people don't know anything about DATAPAC and
> refer you to the US network; they in turn refer you to the DATAPAC people, and
> of course DATAPAC tells you to contact the host system people.  I think the
> information on DATAPAC should come from the DATAPAC people, but repeated
> phone calls to them yielded no results, and I can't even get general
> information that would shine some light on the whole issue.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.  The name and number of a reliable
> source of information at DATAPAC would be very useful.

You need to get to the Telecom Canada sales rep for your company.
If you're doing it as an individual, it's hard. What you need is
the type of people you'd be talking to if you were putting in
your own Datapac 3000 node. It's actually Bell Canada's
Computer Communications Group, or whatever they're called
this week. (Telecom Canada is the association of the eleven
telephone companies in Canada.)

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
(416) 947 3466
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utzoo  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave