[can.general] Independent Brewers

hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (Kenneth Warkentyne) (11/07/86)

In Victoria, the place to go is Spinnaker's Pub.
They make their own versions of English style ales
which I found quite good.
There are a couple of other places that make their
own brew but they are not much different from
ordinary Canadian (bland) beers.

cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (11/11/86)

In article <1758@watdragon.UUCP> hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP writes:
>In Victoria, the place to go is Spinnaker's Pub.
>They make their own versions of English style ales
>which I found quite good.
>There are a couple of other places that make their
>own brew but they are not much different from
>ordinary Canadian (bland) beers.

That should really be "ordinary Canadian (bland) MASS-MARKET beers."

Also, the contention that other brew-pubs sell swill is hard to defend.
In Waterloo, the Duke of Wellington sells a large selection of imports
(Guiness, Double-Diamond, Tartan, etc), plus a Guelph beer "Wellington
County" Ale or Bitter. It's a bit muddy, but nice. The Grad House at
U of Waterloo has it on tap.

Here in Edmonton, the "Power Plant", U of Eh's grad bar, has "Strathcona"
on tap. It is very nice. By far one of the sweetest beers I have ever
tasted.

The moral? Try University Bars. They might have some neat stuff. On the other
hand, start your own brewery. Edmonton's Strathcona brewery was started by
an engineer, apparently.

Chris Shaw    cdshaw@alberta
University of Alberta
CatchPhrase: Bogus as HELL !
--
Chris Shaw    cdshaw@alberta
University of Alberta

hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (Kenneth Warkentyne) (11/13/86)

In article <132@pembina.alberta.UUCP> cdshaw@pembina.UUCP (Chris Shaw) writes:
>In article <1758@watdragon.UUCP> hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP writes:
>>In Victoria, the place to go is Spinnaker's Pub.
>>There are a couple of other places that make their
>>own brew but they are not much different from
>>ordinary Canadian (bland) beers.
>
>That should really be "ordinary Canadian (bland) MASS-MARKET beers."
>
>Also, the contention that other brew-pubs sell swill is hard to defend.
>In Waterloo, ...

I was talking about brew pubs in VICTORIA.