[can.general] SIN's

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (11/24/86)

I'm now more confused on this matter than I was last week. According to John
Grace (Canada's Privacy Commissioner), neither banks nor employers have the
right to obtain your SIN. On the other hand, he then said that where an
employer is acting on behalf of the government (in collecting UI payments
and presumably income tax) it will need the SIN. As an example, UBC (along
with many other employers) uses the SIN as an employee number.

Similarly, I have always been told that the requirement for a SIN when
opening a bank account is to allow the institution to send T4's regarding
interest income.  Perhaps this is untrue: perhaps the space in a T4 (or
similar slip) which is marked "SIN" need not be filled out. I don't know.

In any case, the SIN by itself doesn't really confer any great power on any
nasties. The mapping from SIN to identity is supposed to be greatly
controlled (and that's why the theft of Revenue Canada records is so
serious). Anybody who wants to do cross-matching without the SIN can do so
without any great problem. Names and addresses will give an incredibly high
accuracy, especially if one has fairly sophisticated matching algorithms
(using, e.g., phonetic codes on names). As Grace pointed out, the thing to
protect is not your SIN by itself, but the collection of information which
describes you. People who refuse to give their SINs seem to have no
compunction in giving out their names, addresses, and telephone numbers.

It's also worth noting that direct mail techniques have advanced to the
point that such things as SINs are old hat. A recent Globe & Mail article
described the direct mail techniques used in the last U.S. elections. One
company working for the Democratic Party had developed a "gay algorithm"
which allowed them to take a list of names and addresses and identify those
people who were likely to be gay (based presumably on such things as
location in a city and composition of the household), regardless as to
whether the people in question were openly gay. Now, even though I'm in
sympathy with the objectives in this case, I find this technique truly
frightening (what if the government were doing things like this)?

jmlang@water.UUCP (11/25/86)

In article <504@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>... The mapping from SIN to identity is supposed to be greatly
>controlled (and that's why the theft of Revenue Canada records is so
>serious).

I am not sure of the validity of the next sentence but I heard that
it was true. There are more SIN in use than there are people in the country.

Any comment.

--
Je'ro^me M. Lang	   ||				    jmlang@water.uucp
Dept of Applied Math       ||			  jmlang%water@waterloo.csnet

gtward@watvlsi.UUCP (11/25/86)

In article <637@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP (Jerome M Lang) writes:
>In article <504@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>>... The mapping from SIN to identity is supposed to be greatly
>>controlled (and that's why the theft of Revenue Canada records is so
>>serious).
>
>I am not sure of the validity of the next sentence but I heard that
>it was true. There are more SIN in use than there are people in the country.
>
>Any comment.

This is not surprising at all. When you die, your SIN lives on. The
government continues to use it. For example, the Orphan's Benefit
that I receive is `charged to' my mother's SIN, and she died over 12
years ago.

	Greg Ward

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (11/26/86)

In article <637@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP (Jerome M Lang) writes:
>I am not sure of the validity of the next sentence but I heard that
>it was true. There are more SIN in use than there are people in the country.

It stands to reason that there are more SINs than people qualified to
hold them. For example, I doubt that the SINs of deceased people are reused.
In addition, people present on short-term visas are often issued SINs if
they earn income while in Canada (that's why I have a US Social Security
Number). There is also of course fraud.

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/27/86)

In article <637@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP (Jerome M Lang) writes:
>In article <504@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>>... The mapping from SIN to identity is supposed to be greatly
>>controlled (and that's why the theft of Revenue Canada records is so
>>serious).
>
>I am not sure of the validity of the next sentence but I heard that
>it was true. There are more SIN in use than there are people in the country.

Yes, mapping from SIN to identity (and vice-versa) is supposed to be
very tightly controlled.  But, the accuracy of the mapping is relatively
poor - many people have more than one, many people don't have any etc.
To give an indication of how bad - Medical research and other health
organizations have been pushing for a universal health identifier (at
least in Ontario).  At one point they were pushing for the use of the
SIN number because it is already in existence.  However, the general
consensus is now that the SIN number was too laxly regulated, and is
now fairly useless for use in the health system - even for research, but
especially for treatment.  Not to mention the confidentiality issues
(linking of health and non-health info).  OHIP numbers are *MUCH* worse -
one woman in Ontario was found to have 13 numbers!  One family had
over a hundred members!  (crashed the OHIP computer a couple of times)

Sweden has introduced a universal health identifier so that all health
records can be linked together to provide the best possible health care along
with very accurate research (mostly statistical - they don't care about
the individual's ID per-se, only so that they can track data "elements"
thru the system).  Before Sweden introduced this, however, they had to
put in place some pretty strong controls:

	1) There is a Data Control Dept. who issues licenses to organizations
	   allowing them to use the health id.  Any organization or
	   individual asking for the id without this license (which had
	   to be producable on demand) is subject to penalty.
	2) Each database using this id *must* be approved by the Dept.
	   Considered are: use of data, data security, security clearances
	   of personnel etc.
	3) Each linkage between databases *must* be approved by the Dept.
	4) All rulings made by the Dept are public knowledge (except
	   rulings on individual's records, which are done in camera),
	   and can be appealed.
	5) All databases containing information are contained in registrys
	   which also include the database "schemas".
	6) Each individual has the right to demand at no cost to themselves
	   a copy of their own record in any of these databases.  If the
	   individual has a quarrel with any item in the database, the
	   database maintainer is obligated to reevaluate the data and
	   modify or delete the item as necessary.  The maintainer's
	   actions can be appealed to the Data Control Dept.
	7) There is even an established plan for the destruction of the
	   primary databases (mapping databases, main hospital and govt.
	   agency) in the event of foreign takeover!

Generally speaking, the Health Records Commission approved of the implementation
of a universal ID, provided that:

	1) controls were set in place similar to Sweden to control the
	   growth, usage and security of the id within the health sector
	2) Legislation enacting this id must absolutely deny the use
	   of this id for purposes other than health care and research.
	3) The SIN number was *not* used.
--
Chris Lewis
Spectrix Microsystems Inc,

In article <586@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>In article <637@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP (Jerome M Lang) writes:
>>I am not sure of the validity of the next sentence but I heard that
>>it was true. There are more SIN in use than there are people in the country.
>
>It stands to reason that there are more SINs than people qualified to
>hold them. For example, I doubt that the SINs of deceased people are reused.
>In addition, people present on short-term visas are often issued SINs if
>they earn income while in Canada (that's why I have a US Social Security
>Number). There is also of course fraud.

In actual fact, I believe that both SIN and OHIP numbers are being
recycled now.  The latter I know for certain.  The stupid turkeys didn't
put enough digits in the stupid things (SIN 9, OHIP 8 - don't forget that
one of them is a check digit!).  OHIP (at least used to, policy may have
changed slightly) reissues numbers if they have been inactive for 8 years
or more.  Then the original holder comes back from missionary work in
Africa (or something).  Voila!  Two different people with the same number.
This is an extreme problem within OHIP.  Ditto SIN.