[can.general] Borrowed records from Revenue Canada

jmlang@water.UUCP (11/19/86)

I is very scary that somebody can "borrow" a few million
records containing personal data about people.  Reading
the papers, it is quite obvious that it would be very
easy to use the type of information contained in those
Revenue files.  In a way, it is a bit reassuring that the
records were on micro-fiches, there is quite a lot more
damage that could be done with the same records in electronic
format.

Have you noticed how many forms you have to fill that contain
the S.I.N., even though there are only 3 or 4 official use for
it : your employee record, your income taxe form and ...?
With such a Universal number, invasion of privacy by computer
matching is a definite possibility. Yet, there is little
awareness about that. Another problem happens when you give
out information for one use, and it ends up being used for other
means : an obvious example is when I subscribe to a magazine and
get put on dozen of mailing lists without my autorisation.

Anyway, knowing that government files, or for that matter any
files containing personal information, can and will fall in
unintended hands, I'm am not sure what the safeguards should
be to minimise any damage. Anybody out there have any idea?

--
Je'ro^me M. Lang	   ||				    jmlang@water.uucp
Dept of Applied Math       ||			  jmlang%water@waterloo.csnet

> Have you noticed how many forms you have to fill that contain
> the S.I.N., even though there are only 3 or 4 official use for
> it : your employee record, your income taxe form and ...?
> With such a Universal number, invasion of privacy by computer
> matching is a definite possibility...

It's surprising how many of those forms will be quietly accepted, with
no hassles, if you just "forget" to fill in the SIN.  I've been doing this
for years, and have never been challenged on it.  (Plan B, should I ever
be challenged on this, is "I don't have it with me".)

> ... an obvious example is when I subscribe to a magazine and
> get put on dozen of mailing lists without my autorisation.

Most magazines will refrain from doing this if you so request.  The default
is "do it" rather than "don't do it" because (a) most people don't care (me,
I love throwing out junk mail -- it costs them money to print and mail,
and costs me nothing to discard) and (b) selling mailing lists gets them a
great deal of revenue, which is an attractive alternative to raising the
price of the magazine.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

ludemann@ubc-cs.UUCP (11/20/86)

In article <623@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP writes:
>I is very scary that somebody can "borrow" a few million
>records containing personal data about people.  ...
>           ...  In a way, it is a bit reassuring that the
>records were on micro-fiches, there is quite a lot more
>damage that could be done with the same records in electronic
>format.

The other day I was given a demo of what a few thousand dollar
machine attached to a PC can do, inputting data directly from
paper.  It had better than 95% accuracy.  Someone could probably
do better than that from microfiche.

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/20/86)

In article <623@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP writes:
>In a way, it is a bit reassuring that the
>records were on micro-fiches, there is quite a lot more
>damage that could be done with the same records in electronic
>format.

Actually, it is difficult to see what difference it would make.
As it stands (from what I've heard on the radio), these are the
possible exposures that the newspapers have thought of:

	1) mailing lists - *BIG* ones.  A nuisance certainly, but not
	   a big deal.

	2) Improper acquisition of passports - well, you're still
	   supposed to have "professional" references, so it shouldn't
	   be too bad.  Actually, the main thing you *have* to
	   have is a birth certificate.  A SIN without birth certificate
	   won't get you anywhere.

	3) Credit checks - theoretically, the credit agencies are
	   only supposed to divulge this information when the request
	   is accompanied by the signature of the person being checked.
	   Eg: you sign a form while getting a mortgage to allow the
	   bank to look at your credit rating.  Therefore, I believe
	   that a credit agency releasing information on the basis
	   of a phone call regardless of whether the caller had SIN
	   is improper anyways.  Besides, most credit records wouldn't
	   have SIN (though they will if it is in their sources).

	4) Various futzing around with banks (eg: creating accounts).
	   This is possible regardless of whether you have a SIN or not.
	   You don't need a SIN to open an account!  Banks go by signatures,
	   names and bank account numbers primarily.  SINs are there for issuing
	   T5's (I think that you don't have to supply a SIN for this purpose -
	   you can get the filled out form from the bank and send it yourself),
	   RRSP, CSBs etc - and half the time the accounts are not tied
	   together anyways (RRSP still hasn't noticed we've moved, but the
	   mortgage sure and hell has).  Any bank that allows somebody to
	   withdraw money from an account purely because of having a name
	   and SIN number is in big trouble.

	5) Computer matching: first of all you have to break into a
	   computer that has SINs.  That ain't all that easy.  But still,
	   what is there?  Well:

			a) banks
			b) Stats Can (for tracking individual progress,
			   but only for long form, and probably divested
			   of all other ID stuff anyways.  Stats Can is
			   not a very worth-while thing to break into)
			c) employers.
			d) Credit agencies (sometimes)

		   From (a), (b) and (d) all you can find out of any particular
		   interest is how much you make - sort of like being in the
		   Civil Service. (c) isn't likely to be particularly
		   interesting.  Most companies don't have their employee
		   data computerized anyways.

	    [This may be an incomplete list - anybody have other examples
	    of big databases with SINs in them?]

	6) There are very few things that you *have* to supply a SIN number
	   for.  Almost entirely Taxation stuff.  If you want to protect
	   yourself - simply don't give it out except where required by law.
	   Most companies won't insist on it.  Unfortunately, though, we
	   don't have the protection that the Americans have - US law
	   states that no person can be denied a service (at least government -
	   eg: welfare etc) for refusing to divulge a SSN.  And, in fact,
	   most of the big databases in the US key on names and addresses
	   and other "non-unique identifiers" because they cannot (by law)
	   rely on everybody giving them the SSN.

From the point of view of computer matching, the SIN number is nice to have,
but hardly necessary.  A person's name and address is the only matching
data that most organizations have in common with any other organization.
For example, the Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation doesn't
bother with SINs or OHIP numbers - they match on age, name and address.
OHIP keys on OHIP #, last name and initials and sometimes age.  Until
I moved out, we couldn't distinguish between OHIP stuff addressed to me
or my father...  OHIP numbers are REALLY crummy IDs.  (The funniest thing
I ever saw was a retail store taking OHIP numbers as ID for taking a cheque.
Fat lot of good it would do them if it bounced)

I used to work in the Krever Commission (Royal Commission of Enquiry into
the Confidentiality of Health Records) as a computer consultant.  One of the
things that seemed pretty obvious from a review of literature and the
investigation of various health databases (eg: OHIP, WCB, Corrections, VD
registry and a few non-health ones for comparison purposes) is that,
frankly, a single indentifier wouldn't make all that much difference.
Because you don't need anything more than a name and address to do a
match.  And, names and addresses are a hell of a lot easier to
get than your SIN.  Heck, just simply knowing *who* to target for a match
gives you enough to do the match.  Think about it - how many of your friends,
associates, people you do business with have your SIN number?  Probably
pretty darn few (except of course, for bank employees etc).  But all of
them know your name, and most of them your address - if not, chances are that
it can be pulled out of the phone book anyhow.  And, there's a Real-Estate
book that contains just as much about you (sorted by street address) as
the Revenue Canada data does - including unlisted phone numbers!  And you
can buy one (actually, rent, but who cares) for about $200.  That, frankly,
is a far worse exposure than the Revenue Canada one.  And, nobody's noticed
it! (I just wonder where the hell they get all the data from...)

The really sensitive databases (eg: OHIP, VD registry etc.) don't have
SIN numbers in them.  In fact, when we were investigating improper access
to OHIP data, the vast majority of the probes didn't even have OHIP numbers!
It was quite simple - several members of the Subrogation Dept. thought that
it was their duty to provide some data to insurance investigators which
didn't have the OHIP numbers of their "targets" - so the OHIP staff simply
looked it up in the OHIP fiche sets that were keyed by name.  In spite of
the fact that the OHIP "enabling" legislation strictly forbids ANYONE from
looking at OHIP data (other than the MRC).

Actually, (as awful as it is to say for a computer scientist) the main
defence we have against large-scale matching is that the raw databases
in these systems are such a awful kludged up mess and are so big that
it simply ain't worth the trouble in most cases.  It's taken OCTRF years
to be able to do the limited matching they do.  The most damaging and
likely problems are almost always due to disgruntled employees of some
of these organizations (and have I got a lot of horror stories about
that) divulging info.  All the computer security in the world doesn't
make that big a difference here.  Nor does restricting use of unique IDs.
Physical security, bonding and employee background investigations (more
privacy invasion if you prefer) does make a difference.

If people are sufficiently interested in following this stuff much further,
I could give a "pocket" summary of what we found.  You'd be surprised.
Chances are almost 100 percent that this is simply another disgruntled
employee trying to embarass his employer, and in actuality isn't all
that particularly dangerous.  On the other hand, "live" VD registry data,
or in some cases OHIP *IS* dangerous.  People die (and I'm not speaking
figuratively!) when mistakes are made in releasing "just" OHIP data.
Revenue Canada data is merely a nuisance.
--
Chris Lewis
Spectrix Microsystems Inc,

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (11/20/86)

In article <623@water.UUCP> jmlang@water.UUCP writes:

>... knowing that government files, or for that matter any
>files containing personal information, can and will fall in
>unintended hands, I'm am not sure what the safeguards should
>be to minimise any damage. Anybody out there have any idea?

According to an article in yesterday's Globe and Mail, the shoebox in
question lived in a storage room whose walls contained a posted injunction
to return the box or specific fiches when finished with them. Apparently,
Revenue Canada employees didn't have to do anything more than sign out
what they needed; there was no human supervision.

Although I generally don't believe in technofixes, this is one situation in
which a computer system would never have allowed this theft to occur. Can
you imagine any "secure" system which would let a user say "RETRIEVE ALL TO
PRINTER"? A good computer system would log each access to a file, rendering
blanket theft easily detectable ("Mr Bloggins, why did you access nine
thousand files today?").

wjjordan@watrose.UUCP (11/21/86)

In article <7329@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> Have you noticed how many forms you have to fill that contain
>> the S.I.N., even though there are only 3 or 4 official use for
>> it : your employee record, your income taxe form and ...?
>> With such a Universal number, invasion of privacy by computer
>> matching is a definite possibility...
>
>It's surprising how many of those forms will be quietly accepted, with
>no hassles, if you just "forget" to fill in the SIN.  I've been doing this
>for years, and have never been challenged on it.  (Plan B, should I ever
>be challenged on this, is "I don't have it with me".)
Actually, unless it is for government purposes such as income tax or
UI, you are not obliged to provide, and the organisation is
not allowed to insist that you provide, your Social Insurance Number.
You may voluntarily give it to these other groups, and then they can use
this information (and anything else it gives them legal access to) as they
see fit.

Regarding Plan B:  The back of the SIN card says "Keep on your person."
Fortunately, it is still legal to go around without a SIN, and if you have one,
without the card.  ("Pull over!  SIN police!  Do you have your SIN card?"--hmm,
War Measures Act, anyone?)

Humourous SIN anecdote:  While in the registration line-up at HMCS Quadra
the petty officer at the desk asked the guy in front of me, "What's your SIN?"
The cadet responded, "Adultery."

--
It's the shampoo manufacturers that have defined the most expensive
endless loop:  "Lather, rinse, repeat."

	     W. Jim Jordan
CANADA POST: 365 Hazel St., Waterloo, Ont., N2L 3P3
USENET:      ...watmath!watrose!wjjordan

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (11/21/86)

Chris Lewis remarks (in an extremely informative posting) that you don't
need a SIN to open a bank account. I'm afraid that this statement is
incorrect: the Tax Act requires that banks report interest on accounts (and
therefore a SIN is required). I'm not sure about the status of non-federally
chartered institutions such as some trust companies and all credit unions,
but, since the regulation is related to income reporting, I would assume it
applies here, too. (I know my credit union wanted my SIN when I joined.)

msb@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (11/21/86)

> > (Plan B: ... "I don't have it with me.")
> Regarding Plan B:  The back of the SIN card says "Keep on your person."
> Fortunately, it is still legal to go around without a SIN, and if you have
> one, without the card.  ("Pull over! SIN police! Do you have your SIN card?"
> ...)

Well, that depends on how old it is.  The back of mine says: "Keep one
copy on your person and put the other in a safe place."  This means that
there are two places that someone could steal it from...
Mark Brader

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <497@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>Chris Lewis remarks (in an extremely informative posting) that you don't
>need a SIN to open a bank account. I'm afraid that this statement is
>incorrect: the Tax Act requires that banks report interest on accounts (and
>therefore a SIN is required).

I think Chris Lewis is right...  I have a bank account (chequing, money-
machine card - all the goodies), but no SIN.

"I'm doing my bit for anarchy.  How about you? ;-)"

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb@watnot.UUCP)

And the obligatory ZippyQuote:
We have DIFFERENT amounts of HAIR --

wagner@utcs.UUCP (11/23/86)

Chris Lewis alluded to a public registry of information about people,
including unlisted telephone numbers, and asked how they get all that
information.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was just leaving his house when he
was stopped by a person who wanted to confirm some information for
'The Toronto Registry' (or some such official sounding name).  He
challenged him (her?  I don't remember).  No more information was
forthcoming; the Toronto Registry was the Toronto Registry.  No information
about who compiles it, etc.  He asked to look at the information they
already had about him.  The registry listed his name, occupation, place of
work, phone number, a good approximation of his salary, job title, and
so on.  He was convinced, from the quality of the information, that the
personel department where he worked or a bank must have supplied a good bit
of the information.

Interesting....

Michael

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (11/23/86)

Did anyone see the news report that the suspect "has opened"/"wants to open"
an agency to track down people for a fee? It would seem that the records the
man was charged of stealing would be very useful for that, considering that
it contains name, address, and SIN.
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee

acton@mprvaxa.UUCP (11/24/86)

In article <497@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>Chris Lewis remarks (in an extremely informative posting) that you don't
>need a SIN to open a bank account. I'm afraid that this statement is
>incorrect: the Tax Act requires that banks report interest on accounts (and
>therefore a SIN is required).

When I worked in a bank you didn't need a SIN number to open an interest
bearing account. However, when it came time to pay the interest they
would withhold the maximum amount that might possibly have to be paid in income
tax.  I think a certain amount of interest had to be earned before this
rule applied (> 50?).

  Donald Acton

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/24/86)

In article <497@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>Chris Lewis remarks (in an extremely informative posting) that you don't
>need a SIN to open a bank account. I'm afraid that this statement is
>incorrect:

>   the Tax Act requires that banks report interest on accounts
>	(and therefore a SIN is required).

The parenthesized part is not necessarily a consequence of the former.

Certainly, the banks are required to report interest, but this doesn't
necessarily mean that you have to supply them with a SIN.  All they do
is give *you* the T5's and *you* send them off to Taxation.  As such,
there isn't any particular need for a SIN number because your SIN number
*must* be in the return itself.  As there isn't with tuition fee
receipts, profit declarations from capital gains etc.

A friend informs me that on CBC (Cross-Country-Checkup regarding the
Privacy Commission a day or so ago) that somebody said that theoretically
the Banks do not need the SIN number, but their practise, (presumeably to
reduce distribution hassles, tie into future RRSP, CSB stuff etc., and
problems during Revenue investigations when the revenoors say "give us
everything you got on person so-and-so"), is to ask you for it.  The
comment was that there are banks who didn't insist upon SINs.  I would imagine
that Revenue Canada appreciates the banks who do insist on SINs - makes it
a little easier to ensure that a T5 in a return corresponds to a given person.

I would imagine though, that like the US, the banks might have to report
certain categories to the govt., though not neccessarily to Taxation.
I've been told that all cash deposits in the US over $10,000 have to be
reported to the FBI!  (Rationale: Anything over 10K in cash has to be drugs...)

I imagine that it is also possible to refuse a SIN to your employer (given
that the employer still hired you) and it shouldn't make much difference
(except for nuisance value to employer).  This would be roughly equivalent
(regarding Revenue Canada's trust of your return) to being self-employed.

Hmm, I'll have an opportunity to test (or at least enquire about it)
this latter point shortly...

There is a big difference between "required procedure" and "practice".
Many organizations insist on certain things simply to make their accounting/
paperwork easier.  They rely on the fact that most people won't object - won't
even think about it.  Rather than being a "sheep" you can refuse to go
along with this.  However, there *may* be a *bigger* risk in refusing to
supply a SIN number.  Then there is much more possibility for confusion
between you and another person with the same name - and you might never
guess that one of the credit bureaus or investigative agencies has
you confused with somebody who skipped on a mortgage and child support
payments in Calgary.  The SIN number does protect you in a way - tends
to ensure that your records are more accurate.  Even though I know that
it is perfectly reasonable to refuse to give some organization a SIN number,
most of the time I give it anyways - to protect *myself* against corporate
screwups.  And corporate screwups of this nature are almost always *far* *far*
more likely and damaging than somebody trying to do a computer match.

The nastiest situations OHIP got itself into were simply processing mistakes
where only the patient and family were involved and were largely as a result
of ID-related screwups.  In comparison, breaches of security involving others
were mere nuisances (though there were lots more of them).
--

jmsellens@watdragon.UUCP (11/25/86)

In article <197@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>Certainly, the banks are required to report interest, but this doesn't
>necessarily mean that you have to supply them with a SIN.  All they do
>is give *you* the T5's and *you* send them off to Taxation.  As such,
>there isn't any particular need for a SIN number because your SIN number
>*must* be in the return itself.  As there isn't with tuition fee
>receipts, profit declarations from capital gains etc.

The impression that this gives me is that Chris is not aware that the
T5 (and T4, T3? blah blah blah - gee - I've been away so long I can't
even remember all the numbers) are multi-part forms.  The T5 in particular
is a 4 part form: 1 for the issuer (e.g. the bank) 2 for you, one of
which you include with your return, and 1 that the issuer sends directly
to the government.  This is the same as the T4.

Things that provide you with deductions, like tuition receipts, the
gov't doesn't care if you don't claim them.  Gains and income, they
care.  If for example you had stock transactions during the year,
you would porbably also have a T5 from your broker for interest
earned on your account.  Therefore the gov't could assume that you
have some stock transactions.

John Sellens

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/26/86)

In article <1986Nov22.201542.12150@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:

>He was convinced, from the quality of the information, that the
>personel department where he worked or a bank must have supplied a good bit
>of the information.

Does anybody know if corporations sell mailing lists of their employees?
Some of it may be from enumerations.  Some of it could be from real-estate
firms.  I was living with my parents at the time, and was surprised to
see that they had correctly identified me as a "son" of the house owner,
and where I was working.

I think it was called "The Brown Index", published by "Brown Publishing"
in Toronto ("B"-something anyways) and I saw it in a real estate office.
Had a blurb in the cover about "Being the property of Brown Publishing"
and had to be returned.  (I snooped while our agent was negotiating with
the other party...)
--

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/27/86)

In article <274@cognos.UUCP> glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>Did anyone see the news report that the suspect "has opened"/"wants to open"
>an agency to track down people for a fee?

Oops, forgot about that one.  Yes, indeedy, it would be good for "skip
tracing".  Interestingly enough, in Ontario, the OHIP enrollment file
is even better - the dates are frequently far more up to date, because
even tax avoiders (and others attempting to avoid payments) want to keep
their OHIP coverage up-to-date.  Until 1978/9 police were able to obtain
such information - the general manager of OHIP didn't realize that the
legislation enabling the existence of OHIP didn't allow it.  Not any more.
However, there were far more private investigators using pretext calls
to OHIP for the same end.

As an example of where things are compared to what they were like in 1978
(when the Health Records Commission started), OHIP didn't know how many copies
of the OHIP enrollment fiche were made, where they went and never noticed
any going missing (quite a few copies did - though, most likely they were
simply misplaced or destroyed without being reported to the COM group).

One of the more interesting (and sneaky) techniques we ran into for collection
agencies acquiring info was:
	1) Send letter saying "You have won....(something or other)" along
	   with a cheque for $5 "Deposit Only" to debtor.
	2) Find out the name of the debtor's bank from the cancelled cheque.

I was asked to report a few other incidents that the Commission found:

1) Catastrophic OHIP data processing oversight:

	It is the practise of OHIP to collect several days worth of data
	entry at one of their district offices (there were 7 in 1978-79)
	and do an audit on them.  Once every couple of months.  This is
	done by taking the several days worth of claims (in the order of
	100,000-400,000 claims) and running them through a program that would
	generate a letter of the form:

	    Dear <account holder>

	    Our records indicate that you, or members of your family
	    [remember OHIP numbers are for whole families, not individuals]
	    saw the following doctors on the following dates:

	    Dr A, <date>
	    Dr B, <date>

	    Could you please inform us if any of this information is
	    incorrect?

	Note that there is no diagnostic code, service code or family member
	name.

	In one particular case, the account holder knew that one of
	the doctors was a OB/GYN, and reasoned out that it was his daughter
	(mid teens) who made the visit.  To make it brief, his reaction
	had as end result his daughter committing suicide.

	When this occured, OHIP made some changes to their auditing program,
	such that when the diagnostic code or service code was a socially
	embarrassing thing (eg: abortions, D&C's, VD treatments - 20
	codes in all, probably more now) the letters do *NOT* contain
	any reference to the associated visit.  I was asked to personally
	inspect the OHIP code to ensure that this was being done properly.
	It was - sorta.  When the senior analyst gave me the code, he said
	"it makes me want to cry" - if written in C (it was in a
	particularly grotty COBOL style), the code would have looked
	something like:

	int skipdiag[] = {100, 200, 202 ... }; /* 10 entries, sorted */

	skipclaim(code) {
	    if (binarysearch(skipdiag, code))
		return(TRUE);
	    else if (code == 400 || code == 501 || code == 722...) /* 10 clauses */
		return(TRUE)
	    else
		return(FALSE);
	}

	I gather that the analyst responsible for this piece of junk
	got thoroughly yelled at.
--

mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (11/27/86)

In article <201@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>1) Catastrophic OHIP data processing oversight:
>	    Dear <account holder>
>	    Our records indicate that you, or members of your family
>	    [remember OHIP numbers are for whole families, not individuals]
>	    saw the following doctors on the following dates:
>	    Dr A, <date>
>	    Dr B, <date>

I used to work for the auditor of one of the provincial
medical plans, and they had a similar program.  Every month
they would send out these auditing letters.  They decided to
expand the audit one year, but slightly change the letters.
The new program printed out the subscriber's name, address,
and medical claims on a standard form that would be heat
sealed and mailed.

The auditor was very picky (a good trait for auditors), so
he had us check out the first batch, one more time, before
it was mailed.  We discovered that the programmer had somehow
managed to print out the name and claims of one subscriber,
and then the address for the next subscriber.

Don't ask me how he managed to do it, but I'm sure glad that
we checked!

Mike Berkley, Department of Computing Services, University of Waterloo

EAN:		mberkley@dcsu.waterloo.cdn
UUCP:		{allegra,ihnp4,utcsri,utzoo}!watmath!watdcsu!mberkley

dave@lsuc.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <806@mprvaxa.UUCP> acton@mprvaxa.UUCP (Don Acton) writes:
>>Chris Lewis remarks (in an extremely informative posting) that you don't
>>need a SIN to open a bank account. I'm afraid that this statement is
>>incorrect: the Tax Act requires that banks report interest on accounts (and
>>therefore a SIN is required).

The Income Tax Act requires a social insurance number solely for
the purpose of filing an income tax return (s. 237 and Regulation 3800).

Regulation 201(1)(b), however, requires that "Every person who makes
a payment to a resident of Canada as or on account of ... interest...
shall file an information return in prescribed form...". The prescribed
form is the T-5, which has a slot for the taxpayer's SIN. In practice
this appears to be a back door to requiring that persons opening bank
accounts give the bank their SIN, in order for the bank to be able
to comply with the Regulation.

>When I worked in a bank you didn't need a SIN number to open an interest
>bearing account. However, when it came time to pay the interest they
>would withhold the maximum amount that might possibly have to be paid in income
>tax.

Not exactly, since there's no withholding in Canada on investment income
paid to residents of Canada. I don't see anything in the Income
Tax Act or Regulations which justifies quite what you said. I
suspect the justification may be that if the individual has not provided
a SIN he may not be a resident of Canada (though the two groups are
obviously overlapping sets), and therefore that the bank may be required
to withhold under ITA ss.212(1)(b) and 215(1). The non-resident
withholding tax on interest is 25%, reduced by treaty in many cases.

I'd be interested in hearing more specifics about what your bank
did, if you remember them.

>	I think a certain amount of interest had to be earned before this
>rule applied (> 50?).

The T-5 is generally not issued if total interest income for the year
is under a certain amount. It used to be $50 but I believe may now be $100.
I can't find anything in the Regulations to support this; it's likely
just a Revenue Canada administrative practice.

Incidentally, anyone interested in learning about the Canadian
income tax system through CAI should drop me a line. We have
a complete course here, used for the Bar Admission Course,
which takes 10-20 hours. The first few lessons would be of interest
to individuals in general. Cost is $12 per hour of access (includes
Datapac access for those outside Toronto).

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
(416) 947-3466
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  watmath  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave