[can.general] GENIE arrives in Canada

gergely@dalcs.UUCP (04/21/87)

87/04/15 - GEnie is now available in CANADA!!! Canadian friends may now access
GEnie in Canada by dialing any of the four access numbers located in Canada. In
Toronto, Ontario dial (416) 535-9642, in Montreal, Quebec dial (514) 284-1348,
in Vancouver, British Columbia dial (604) 437-7313, in Calgary, Alberta dial
(403) 232-6121. You may sign-up for GEnie by dialing any of those numbers and
logging onto XJM11999,GENIE. The numbers available are for 300 or 1200 baud
modem users. The sign-up fee is $25.00. For non-prime time access, the charges
are $9.50 per hour. For prime time access, the charges are $50.00 per hour.
GEnie welcomes our Canadian friends!
--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred) or Peter@DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA

gergely@dalcs.UUCP (04/21/87)

GENIE stands for the General Electric Network.  On it are many forums,
such as the Macintosh one, and others.  Users may participate in
tele-conferences, upload and download files, and many others.  I hope
this clears things up.
--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred) or Peter@DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA
      DIALNET:  Peter@GRIFFIN.DREA.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM
      CSNET:    gergely%cs.dal.cdn@ubc.csnet       UUCP: gergely@dalcs.UUCP

michael@orcisi.UUCP (Michael Herman) (04/24/87)

If you already have a GENIE account, you can't use it to access a node
reached via a Canadian phone number.

Your account needs to be handed over to GENIE Canada before this can
happen.

wbell@utgpu.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <7@orcisi.UUCP> michael@orcisi.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
>If you already have a GENIE account, you can't use it to access a node
>reached via a Canadian phone number.
>
>Your account needs to be handed over to GENIE Canada before this can
>happen.

You might not want to do this.. there are a number of features "not available
to Canadian customers"
Also, when you convert the $5/hr US charges to the Cdn$ equivalent, it still
comes out less than the $9.50/hr that they are charging to Canadians.

Note that Compuserve has local Canadian numbers, without this Canadian
"surcharge". CIS also costs less at 300 & 2400 baud but 'more' at 1200 baud
(based on the fact that CIS charges the same for 2400 as 1200 and GEnie
charges the same for 300 & 1200, but extra for 2400. (confused yet? :-) )
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

Disclaimer: the views expressed above are mine alone, and do not
in any way reflect the views of the University of Toronto, nor
the views of University of Toronto Computing Services.