[can.general] What *are* the can.* groups?

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (05/21/87)

Does anyone maintain a list of the "official" can.* newsgroups?
When setting up a new site I sometimes wonder if there is any point
in creating some of the groups I have seen referenced in other
sites active files (e.g. can.map - I've never seen a posting
to this group in the last year).

Maybe someone should do a periodic checkgroups based on this
(non-existent?) list?

Lyndon Nerenberg   alberta!ncc!lyndon

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (05/29/87)

	The traffic seems so minimal maybe we should just drop the
    can.* groups and use the can distribution.
--
Michael A. Thompson, Dept. Math, Stats, & C.S., Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S.
thompson@dalcs.uucp	From Bitnet or Uucp

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (05/31/87)

> 	The traffic seems so minimal maybe we should just drop the
>     can.* groups and use the can distribution.

This would work, however it could get a bit confusing for a lot of the
people using the network. It is an unfortunate fact of life that most
people don't understand (or feel comfortable with) the distribution
mechanism.

Besides, if we did that we would leave Henry out in the cold (assuming
utzoo is still running 2.9 - they were last I heard... ?)

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (06/01/87)

In article <2567@dalcs.UUCP> thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) writes:
> The traffic seems so minimal maybe we should just drop the can.* groups and
> use the can distribution.

This seems reasonable from the point of view of the level of traffic.  The
trouble is that there are occasional outbursts of discussion -- at a level
sometimes of 10 or so articles daily -- that are likely to be uninteresting
or even annoying to many readers.  Usually these can be canned in "can.
politics" after a while, so I think that group serves a useful purpose about
once a year.

I speak from somewhat embarrassing experience here, for I have not only been
annoyed but have myself caused annoyance.  I know I should show a little more
self-control, but one reason for subdividing newsgroups is to provide auto-
mated self-control, isn't it?
--

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

> 	The traffic seems so minimal maybe we should just drop the
>     can.* groups and use the can distribution.

There are three reasons not to do this.  One is that not all the can.all
groups correspond precisely to their network-wide counterparts.  Another
is that they flow by different routes -- this can be done with distributions,
but it's harder.  The third is that everybody understands newsgroup names
and almost nobody understands the exact workings of distributions, so there
is a serious user-interface problem there.
--
"There is only one spacefaring        Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
nation on Earth today, comrade."   {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/01/87)

In article <2567@dalcs.UUCP> thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) writes:

>	The traffic seems so minimal maybe we should just drop the
>    can.* groups and use the can distribution.

No, that's a good reason for *keeping* them.  can.* provide a
way of communicating with others in Canada, since they're
low-volume and therefore rarely unsubscribe to.

I've had a number of people tell me they find my postings
about income tax to can.general useful.  There would be no
way of reaching these people otherwise.  Few Canadians read
misc.taxes, since its content is almost entirely U.S. tax-related.
We've also had interesting discussions in can.politics over the years.

Our records indicate the can.* groups are:

can.general	Articles of general interest to all Canadian sites
can.ai		Artificial intelligence discussions
can.jobs	Job announcements, requests, etc.
can.politics	Canadian politics

The only one of these which might be a candidate for removal
is can.ai, which receives a quarterly posting about the Canadian
AI newsletter and not much else. Presumably all can.ai readers
subscribe to comp.ai anyway.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (06/03/87)

> Our records indicate the can.* groups are:
>
> can.general	Articles of general interest to all Canadian sites
> can.ai		Artificial intelligence discussions
> can.jobs	Job announcements, requests, etc.
> can.politics	Canadian politics

Here's what the active file on ncc says:

can.jobs 00023 00023 y
can.general 00124 00112 y
can.politics 00182 00181 y
can.ai 00006 00002 y
can.ai.cscsi 00000 00000 y
can.followup 00000 00000 y
can.map 00000 00000 y

There are probably others...  Rather than everyone posting their
active file entries, if you have a can.* group not in the above
list, mail me the line from you active file. I will collect a list
a post it next week. Then maybe we can come to an agreement as to
what the valid groups are.

Lyndon Nerenberg
Nexus Computing Corporation
alberta!ncc!lyndon

tech@auvax.UUCP (06/03/87)

Who cares what the groups are?  With such low volumes we can all include
can.all and post to can.general.  If the can.general posting is inappropriate
and there are any followups than somebody will suggest another home for such
articles.

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    ihnp4!alberta!auvax

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (06/03/87)

As a reader of the can.* groups and especially the tax tips
posted I would like to voice my vote for not eliminating these
groups as they do provide a valuable forum for discussions of
interest to the Canadian environment.

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc Kevin Crocker

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (06/03/87)

From: tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken)
>Who cares what the groups are?  With such low volumes we can all include
>can.all and post to can.general.  If the can.general posting is inappropriate
>and there are any followups than somebody will suggest another home for such
>articles.

The problem is that if your system does not have a valid entry for
the followup group, the article will be trashed (you won't see it, and it
won't get forwarded to your neighbors). Sort of like posting to
au.general with a distribution of 'can'...

From: kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Crocker)
>As a reader of the can.* groups and especially the tax tips
>posted I would like to voice my vote for not eliminating these
>groups as they do provide a valuable forum for discussions of
>interest to the Canadian environment.

I see no point in eliminating the groups. Let's just make sure we agree
on what the groups /are/.

> Besides, if we did that we would leave Henry out in the cold (assuming
> utzoo is still running 2.9 - they were last I heard... ?)

No, not 2.9!  A mixture of C news and B 2.10.0.  Soon to be all-C, as soon
as Geoff and I get our yet-to-be-done lists under control...
--

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <1433@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Here's what the active file on ncc says:
>
>can.jobs 00023 00023 y
>can.general 00124 00112 y
>can.politics 00182 00181 y
>can.ai 00006 00002 y
>can.ai.cscsi 00000 00000 y
>can.followup 00000 00000 y
>can.map 00000 00000 y
>
>			I will collect a list
>a post it next week. Then maybe we can come to an agreement as to
>what the valid groups are.

Make that "should be", rather than "are".  Lyndon, I believe your
collection is out of date, in that we (the Canadian Usenet) made some
decisions a couple of years back to cut out some groups, and I believe
rmgroups were actually sent out (anyone remember for sure? Henry? msb?)
At any rate, the fact your highest article number for the last 3 groups
is 0 kinda suggests they're not widespread :-)

My personal view and suggestion for what we should have:
	can.jobs	- useful
	can.general	- useful
	can.politics	- useful
These are "useful" in the sense that people will read them but not
their netwide counterparts.
	can.followup	- obsolete, since the "general/followup" pair
			  no longer exists netwide, and since can.general
			  can comfortably hold followup discussions
	can.map		- not needed, since comp.mail.maps will have
			  its Canadian postings from utai!path. Anyone
			  who specifically wants this can find it easily.
	can.ai.cscsi	- I believe it was agreed this is too specialized
			  and wasn't being used.

The only remaining question is can.ai.  If there is any group of
people who read can.ai but who would not read comp.ai, due to some
relevance of AI in Canada that isn't relevant to the AI community in
general (I don't believe this is the case), then the group should remain.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

msb@sq.UUCP (06/09/87)

To someone's article...

> > Our records indicate the can.* groups are:
> > can.general, can.ai, can.jobs, can.politics

...Lyndon Nerenberg (lyndon@ncc.UUCP) replies by showing these
   additional lines in his site's active file:

> can.ai.cscsi 00000 00000 y
> can.followup 00000 00000 y
> can.map 00000 00000 y

Notice the zero article counts on all of these.  In fact, these three
groups were removed after the LAST time that the question "What can.*
groups exist and should they all still exist?" was asked.  I remember
this quite clearly, because I was the one who initiated the question
and collected responses to the rmgroup proposals (under the Subject
line "Let's clean up Canada").  It must have been about 2 years ago.
The first poster's records are correct and complete.

Mark Brader, utzoo!sq!msb		"Don't be silly -- send it to Canada"
Toronto						     -- British postal worker

michael@orcisi.UUCP (06/10/87)

> Who cares what the groups are?  With such low volumes we can all include
> can.all and post to can.general.

So what's the fuss?  Let's leave well enough alone.