[can.general] More CFL: support for teams

wjjordan@watdragon.UUCP (07/06/87)

In article <3587@watdcsu.UUCP> rhubbs@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Robert Hubbs) writes:
>Steve Hayman writes:
>>I still think London could support a team.  Maybe the future of
>>the CFL is success in smaller centers...

>The problem is that football in Canada is just not a big enough draw to
>support it many teams. We can support what we have, but not by much (think
>Montreal) I am not anti-Football in Canada, but we need about double the number]
>of fans or at least a much larger population base to draw from.
>
>Besides if Montreal cant support a team what makes people think London can???

Steve mentioned in a later article that Saskatchewan has survived by being
the only game in town.  He's partly right, but the Roughriders (nb: one word)
draw fans from all of southern Saskatchewan, including Saskatoon and Yorkton.
Most of their support comes from outside of Regina.

London loves football, at least Western-style.  I've been booed and had stuff
thrown at me for wearing Waterloo colours at football games in London, but
only when Western didn't get near the ball (half-time, time-outs, moving the
chains... ).  I'm sure that if London had a CFL team and a
25 000 seat stadium (shared with the Western Mustangs in a similar arrangement
to the one the Stampeders and U of C Dinosaurs have for McMahon Stadium)
the attendence would be quite good.  It also means that Londoners don't have
to travel to Toronto or (gasp, wheeze) Hamilton to see a CFL game.

Hmmm... so much for a dead can.general.  Keep it up, guys!

							Jim

Winnipeg Blue Bombers--1987 CFL Eastern Division Champions

Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence.

W. Jim Jordan, Conrad Grebel College, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G6
						...watmath!watdragon!wjjordan