[can.general] --- Can.French

fortin@iros1.UUCP (06/26/87)

Greetings...

	I wholeheartedly welcome the idea of Can.French (or Can.Francais).
It will be nice, for a change, to post in French to the net.

	As for the idea of throwing in all of the French postings with
the others in Can.General (& co.), I have a few misgivings: the net.readers
who are not bilingual might feel a bit left out of the discussions
(actually, that is the reason this posting is in English).

	I am not suggesting that French should be *restricted* to
Can.French (if a net.reader feels better speaking/writing in French,
then by all means he/she should post in French to Can.*), but if "large
scale" (!) discussions are to take place in French (or about French!?!),
then maybe they should take place in a specific group.

	Any comments on all of this?!?

					A bientot, en francais...

					Denis Fortin,
					CAE Electronique Ltee

					fortin@iros1.UUCP
					fortin@cae.UUCP
					fortin@zap.UUCP

PS. Pour ce qui est des accents, je trouve la formule <lettre><accent>
    un peu lourde a` l'utilisation!  Il faudrait trouver une solution
    plus plaisante a` l'oeil.  (Oui oui, je sais: A` moins d'envoyer
    des sources LaTeX directement, il n'y a pas vraiment de solution
    agre'able a` ce proble`me!)  Je m'ennuie de mon VT220 et de sa
    touche <compose character> (en englais dans le texte).

flaps@utcsri.UUCP (06/26/87)

In article <218@Mannix.iros1.UUCP> fortin@iros1.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
>As for the idea of throwing in all of the French postings with
>the others in Can.General (& co.), I have a few misgivings: the net.readers
>who are not bilingual might feel a bit left out of the discussions
>(actually, that is the reason this posting is in English).

This is not well thought out.  The net.readers who are not bilingual
will feel left out either of the French or of the English discussions,
depending on which language they speak.  Posting in any one language
will not prevent people from being left out.

--

      //  Alan J Rosenthal
     //

"To be whole is to be part; true voyage is return."

brad@looking.UUCP (07/05/87)

A minor note:  Newgroup names, used all over the world, are in English.
The natural language groups for foreign languages were all named with
the English version of the language's name.  Thus the group would be
can.french, and not can.francais.

Un <<nom de newsgroup>> est en Anglais.  Il faut l'appelle <<can.french>>
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

lamy@utegc.UUCP (07/05/87)

In article <826@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>A minor note:  Newgroup names, used all over the world, are in English.

As long as we are talking about a *canadian* distribution, the arguments that
led to soc.culture.greek whatever it's called don't go through.  I would agree
with a soc.culture.french if international distribution was envisioned, which
is not the case.

In fact, I feel *quite strongly* that we have a right to name it whatever we
want, be it can.etaoin.shrldu, or can.joual.

If can.francais is to be about living in French in Canada, I agree with the
idea.  Computing in French in Canada also sounds like fun.  This is not to say
that postings in French about the demise of the CFL (the All-who-het-ease, as
a Murrican called them) don't belong on can.general.

A light comment on the wording of the Meech lake accord: How would we tell
news to use a "mostly in Quebec" distribution :-?

Jean-Francois Lamy                      lamy@ai.toronto.edu (CSnet,UUCP,Bitnet)
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science      lamy@ai.toronto.cdn (EAN X.400)
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4   {seismo,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!lamy

fortin@iros1.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <5042@utcsri.UUCP> flaps@utcsri.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>>There are French net.readers and there are English net.readers...
>>Since 99,9% of the net.news are in English, all readers must be able to
>         ^ (good thing I speak French numerals)

A quick (and totally unrelated) question: Isn't that standard in metric?
And if so, isn't that supposed to be the standard in Canada these days?

>>understand a text written in English (I cannot imagine a person with no
>>knowledge of English at all sitting down at his/her terminal for
>>extended periods of time glancing at text that he/she cannot understand
>>at all).
>
>This is the whole point.  I think that those people with no knowledge
>of English should be allowed access to the net.

I agree!  Since there are two "official languages" in Canada, I see
*absolutely no problem* with French postings to can.general!!!  (or
any other can.group for that matter)

However, I think that the issue of can.francais (or can.french, or
can.joual) is an entirely different issue: the can.francais group is
a separate newgroup where discussions on issues related to French in
Canada take place (how people are solving the problems of accents
on their computers, how easy it is to get an education in French in
such and such a part of the country, etc).

Therefore, creating can.francais does *not* imply that francophones
who have a point to make in can.general should not post there in French,
and it does *not* imply that anglophones who have a point to make
about French in Canada cannot post in English in can.francais!!!

So...  I guess the proposal is as follows (where do you send proposals
for the creation of new newsgroups in Canada???):

	The creation of a new "canadian" newsgroup is proposed.
	Named can.francais (or can.French, I have no strong
	feelings about that), it would serve as a forum for
	people who want to discuss issues related to French in
	Canada (or actually, French in general).  As all other
	can.* groups, this would be a bilingual group (though
	somehow I guess one can expect a greater concentration
	of French in that group than in other can.groups).

Ok...  The official proposal is out.  What happens now?  (I guess
we discuss its usefulness for a while and then someone just
creates the group!)

					Denis Fortin,
					fortin@iros1.UUCP