[can.general] Metric decimal point

wales@lsuc.UUCP (07/15/87)

I'm posting this for Rich Wales, who lives in California but
is greatly interested in Canada and gets can.* mailed to him
automatically by us.
	-- David Sherman (lsuc!dave)

In article <225@Mannix.iros1.UUCP>, fortin@iros1.UUCP (Denis Fortin)
writes:
> In article <5042@utcsri.UUCP> flaps@utcsri.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal)
> writes:
> >
> >>There are French net.readers and there are English net.readers...
> >>Since 99,9% of the net.news are in English, all readers must be able
> >         ^ (good thing I speak French numerals)
>
> A quick (and totally unrelated) question: Isn't that standard in
> metric?   And if so, isn't that supposed to be the standard in Canada
> these days?

No.  The period is, officially, still the proper decimal point in
English-language documents in Canada.

Canada's Metric Commission has, however, recommended that long numbers
be punctuated with spaces (not commas) between groups of three digits,
except for financial documents.

The following material is quoted from Section 5.09 (page 90) of the
1985 book "The Canadian Style:  A Guide to Writing and Editing", by the
Department of the Secretary of State (ISBN 0-919670-93-8).

    Note 1:
    In many countries the decimal marker is the comma, not the period.
    The Metric Commission, however, recommends the use of the period as
    the decimal marker in English-language texts in Canada.  Writers
    and editors should be aware that both methods of indicating the
    decimal are in current use and are appropriate, depending on the
    context.

    Note 2:
    Formerly, groups of three figures were separated from one another
    by a comma in the English-speaking world.  To prevent such a comma
    from being mistaken for the decimal marker used by most countries
    and to comply with the decisions of the Metric Commission and
    Internation Standard ISO 31/0, it is recommended that this practice
    by abandoned except in financial documents.[1]  A space should be
    used instead of a comma, and such a space is also to be inserted
    after groups of three digits to the right of a decimal point.  Note
    that numbers of four digits only (on either side of the decimal
    marker) need not be so spaced unless used in combination with other
    numbers of more than four digits.  The following examples illustrate
    the correct use of the space to separate triads of numbers:

	    WHOLE NUMBERS             DECIMALS
	    5005  or  5 005           5.0005  or  5.000 5
	    50 005                    5.000 05
	    500 005                   5.000 005
	    500 005 000               5.000 005 000

    Omit the space in pagination, inclusive numbers, addresses,
    numbering of verse, telephone numbers, library numbers, serial
    numbers and the like.

    [Footnote 1:  It is currently the policy of the Government of Canada
    to continue to use the comma to separate triads of numbers on
    payment instruments and financial documents. . . .]

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
	wales@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!wales
"Sir, there is a multilegged creature crawling on your shoulder."