[can.general] /usr/group/cdn/README -- Interim Newsletter

usrgroup@utgpu.UUCP (09/08/87)

/usr/group/cdn/README The Canadian Network of UNIX Users Newsletter 870908

                                Contents

+What's been happening since April
+How are we doing
+/usr/group/CDN
+Disaster strikes at ontmoh
+Calendar of Events
+Unix Unanimous Update

[This informal newsletter is long overdue.  It is meant to fill the gap
until the *ultimate* newsletter materializes.  I want our members to
find out what's been happening and what fires their directors are burning
out on.  The UNIX community at large may be able to help in our search for
directors and an administrator.  I hope nobody takes offence, and I
sincerely appreciate comments.  Opinions are mine.         Peter Renzland]

+What's been happening since April

Much has happened since the last issue of README in April.  Some ambitious
plans are underway, among them a "professional" newsletter.

The Conference and Show in April were mildly successful.  The conference
was sparsely attended, but the concurrent AT&T tutorials were sold out.
The conference was priced much higher this year than last.  With improved
scheduling and publicity next year could be a total success.

At the AGM, Robin Macrae was re-elected, and two new directors were
elected, Dave Mason and Tom Molnar.  At the first Board meeting, as is
required in our bylaws, new officers were elected, Dave Mason: President,
Tom Molnar: Secretary, Treasurer, and Peter Renzland: V.P.  There was much
catch-up work to be done, and most has been completed by now -- preparing
overdue financial statements, the aftermath of the show/conference,
finalizing Corporate Sponsors, revising bylaws, making good on some past
promises -- CommUNIXations and catalogs, etc.  The long-standing promise of
CommUNIXations and catalogs has come true -- the first magazines have arrived
in the mail, and the catalogs are somewhere (between shipping and receiving).

At the Special General Meeting in July, the members decided to increase
the number of directors from 7 to 9.  Barb Davis has resigned, so there
are 3 vacancies on the board.  If you know of a suitable candidate, whom
you wish to nominate (and who is willing/able to spend enough time, please
call the office or send mail to me.  To repeat,

                      WE ARE LOOKING FOR DIRECTORS.

On a related note, it is becoming clear that there is much more work to be
done, more than some of the (elected) (volunteer) directors are able to do.
And there really aren't enough members who help.  The solution seems to be
to hire a full-time (or at least half-time) administrator.  Ideally, such
a person would have effective, high-level organizational talent,
recognizing problems before they become painful, and, perhaps, even know
UNIX.  (Isn't there an under-employed Colonel somewhere?)  To repeat,

                 WE ARE LOOKING FOR A PAID ADMINISTRATOR

+How are we doing

/usr/group/cdn is just two years old.  Per capita, we have almost as many
members as /usr/group in the US.  We have put on two conferences and
shows, and we have excellent corporate support.  All this with volunteer
directors, who have always done their best, but whose time, ability, and
motivation has been constrained.  And a part-time clerical person.

So, what are our problems?  (Non-members, please stop reading :-)

1. Trade Association or User Network

   The name and logo, as well as our charter and noncommercial status sug-
   gest that we are a "user network".  There are also those who use UNIX
   to make money, and who would like to use the organization as a market-
   ing vehicle.  USENIX, /usr/group, and X/OPEN (or COS), are a profes-
   sional organization, a (semi-technical, semi-commercial) user group,
   and a trade association.  In Canada, /usr/group/cdn contains all those
   elements.  Some people think that directors represent their companies,
   others remember that they are elected by the members.  Users and
   vendors can benefit each other, but this is sometimes overlooked.

2. Mutual benefit association or consumer product supplier

   There has been little member participation.  Many members pay their $50
   or $100, and expect other people to contribute their time.  UNIX users
   do help out other UNIX users, but that's simply a trait of UNIX users.
   Some members may feel that the directors should do all the work.

3. Can volunteers be expected to keep their promises?

   Speaking of directors.  If programmers are hopelessly optimistic,
   then /usr/group/cdn directors are notoriously overcommitted.
   The Board is a microcosm of applied idealism, bureaucratic efficiency,
   democratic wisdom, and marketing ethics.

/usr/group/cdn has grown quickly and unevenly.  In the past it's been too
much work for volunteers, and there hasn't been enough money for paid
staff.  And elected volunteers may outreach their grasp.  Too often the
choice has been between doing things badly and not at all.

So, all things considered, /usr/group/cdn hasn't done badly in two years.
And, remarkably, most if what has happened is due to the work of a few
volunteers on the Board, and a lot of corporate support.  Members, thus
far, have been a net liability.  Membership fees do not cover the cost of
member services.  This is true even for remote members that don't have any
local activities.  (A general member is automatically a /usr/group associ-
ate member and receives Communixations and a product catalog in addition.
Membership fees barely cover the cost of providing these two items.  Now
add administrative costs, postage, printing of notices, newsletter, meet-
ing rooms, and refreshments.  And remember that all of the skilled labour
is unpaid volunteer type.)  So, the corporate sponsors and show exhibitors
pay for a good part of the costs.  These resources can be used to provide
better member services, especially if the financial support of the vendors
is enhanced by active member involvement.  With or without member involve-
ment, UNIX users will *benefit* indirectly from the trade-association type
efforts, such as shows, conferences, and trade press articles.  Members
have a chance to influence these efforts towards quality and substance.

+/usr/group/CDN

The power of negative tinkering, when applied to /usr/group/cdn, yields:

	/usr/group/cda,   /vdr/group/cdn,   /usr/group/tor

The first one is a minor nuisance, and it's conceivable that everything
will be alright when people stop saying "User Group Canada".  Or perhaps
the name should be changed to /usr/group/can.  (or /etc/group ?)
BTW, (trivia question) do you know what "/usr" stands for?

The other two are more serious, and we must be sure to address them boldly.

Whereas /usr/group/cdn was started by people who were not exactly what you
might call UNIX system users, most members now are, and several directors
on the current Board have a UUCP address.  At first there were no meetings,
then there were a few sales presentations, and for the last year there have
been presentations of quality and content.  (Henry Spencer, Chris Lewis).
There is now a good balance between technical and non-technical orientation.

Many of our (~200) members live far away from Toronto, and (to the extent
of the abilities of past boards) are getting at least their money's worth,
in terms of /usr/group benefits, as I've already explained.  However, some
may say, there are 2 meetings a month in Toronto, but we are far from
Toronto.  The show, the conference, and the board meetings are in Toronto.
The newsletter (what newsletter?) mentions mainly Toronto activities.

Then there are several UNIX user groups, (BCUUG, /usr/group/edmonton) that
have been around a while, and don't see much benefit in /usr/group/cdn.

Even members in Toronto did not get any local benefit for a long time.  It
took a lot of work from a few members to arrange such things as meetings
and a members' newsletter.  There is going to be a show in Ottawa, there
is a newsletter exchange with other UNIX groups (thanks George, Lyndon).

***MY VIEW ON***
We'd love to hear from and assist members (and other UNIX users and
groups!) across the country.  The past efforts at a franchise-style affil-
iation program have (in my *personal* view) been pre-mature and un-
enlightened.  Set a good example first.  Shun administrative vapour-ware.
***MY VIEW OFF***

Perhaps some of the new Director positions can be filled by able candidates
from other provinces.  Send nominations to usrgroup@utgpu, or phone the
office, or phone Tom Vassos (nominations committee chair) at 416/758-3354.
+Disaster strikes at ontmoh

On July 29th, ontmoh was crippled by a total disk failure.  This has had
adverse effects on ontmoh's various activities, not to mention the quality
of my life.  To the degree that /usr/group/cdn work had resided at ontmoh,
and that I had become somewhat pre-occupied with ontmoh's revival, this has
retarded /usr/group/cdn's progress.

Until our admin work, and semi-public access has been set up properly at
utgpu, (and eventually until we get our own system), the GOMIG BBS invites
people interested in UNIX to call 416/965-9290, 7 bits, even parity.

+Calendar of Events

WED Sep  9 1630 /usr/group/cdn BOARD meeting (open to members RSVP 259-8122)
WED Sep  9 1815 /usr/group/cdn meeting -- Cail Systems (HDS terminals)
		Metro TORONTO Board of Trade 3rd Floor, 1st Canadian Place
		(Adelaide/Bay) Refreshments.  Non-members welcome.  Free
MON Sep 14 2000 TVOntario Vista: Computer Graphics Special
TUE Sep 15 1815 CIPS UNIX SIG meeting: Unix on 80386; also IDC president
		Metro TORONTO Board of Trade 3rd Floor, 1st Canadian Place
		(Adelaide/Bay) Refreshments.  Non-members welcome.  Free
WED Sep 23 1815 /usr/group/cdn Unix Unanimous meeting (RSVP peter@ontmoh)
		UofT FLIS, Rm 212, 140 St George, TORONTO
TUE Oct 27 - 29	UNIX Expo, NEW YORK 212/391-9111
MON Nov 16 - 19 Canadian Computer Show, TORONTO 416/252-7791
TUE Jan 12 - 13 UNIX in Government, OTTAWA Congress Centre
MON Feb 08 - 12 USENIX, DALLAS (MON Feb 08 - 11 UniForum)
TUE May 17 - 19 UNIX 88/etc, Metro TORONTO Convention Centre

Recurring events:
2nd WED 1815	TORONTO Board of Trade /usr/group/cdn meeting
3rd TUE 1815	TORONTO Board of Trade CIPS UNIX SIG meeting
4th WED 1815	TORONTO UofT /usr/group/cdn Unix Unanimous meeting

(please send calendar items to usrgroup@utgpu)
+UNIX Unanimous Update

UNIX Unanimous has moved in space and time.  We now meet every 4th WED,
1815 at FLIS, Rm 212, 140 St George St, TORONTO.  We are grateful to our
accommodating host, George Bacon, for providing such excellent facilities.
(complete with multi-monitor system access).  These informal technical
workshops have been a great success.  There are always real experts, real
problems, and real solutions.  A lot of the discussion revolves around
UUCP communications.  Recently there's been some discussion of ways to im-
prove cross-Canada communications for UNIX sites.  Much of the distant
transmission is paid for by universities.  There is a steady stream of
new sites that want to have UUCP connections.  Connect charges to UUNET
(or wherever) from Canada are a bit expensive.  Proposals included:

1. set up a Great Canadian Network (aka TCNET, CANUNET)
2. set up a central site (a` la UUNET, administered by /usr/group/cdn)
3. set up a chain of regional sites (commercial, a` la mnetor)
4. lobby for improved telecommunications rates during off-hours

My view is that (1) is too ambitious for now, (3) rather than (2) is more
suitable to linear Canada, and (4) is worth doing in any case.  I would
also like to encourage those Canadian sites that have no easy UUCP neigh-
bours to patronize UUNET, and I would like to make the information on how
to contact UUNET from Canada available to our members.  Somebody please
send me details.  BTW, thanks to all the people who've contributed to the
net discussion on this (Stuart, Lyndon, Henry, Dale, ...).  I'm afraid I
was rather incapacitated during the past month (as was ontmoh's disk), and
unable to participate)
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
/usr/group/cdn  The Canadian Network of UNIX Users
Peter Renzland  416/964-9141  VP,  (User Services)             ontmoh!peter
utgpu!usrgroup  (send mail to receive /usr/group/cdn Information Kit)
Administrative  Office  416/259-8122  241 Gamma St  ETOBICOKE  Ont  M8W 4G7

sl@van-bc.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <1987Sep8.024504.12276@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, usrgroup@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Peter Renzland) writes:
> bours to patronize UUNET, and I would like to make the information on how
> to contact UUNET from Canada available to our members.  Somebody please
> send me details.  BTW, thanks to all the people who've contributed to the

You can access via Tymnet if you have a local connection. This will
cost you about $12.50 / hr (Cdn) from 7:00PM to 6:00AM.

You can also access via a long distance call. Depending on your rates and
the time of day this may be more or less than Tymnet.

On Tymnet you can use 2400 bps, and typically get about 450 kbs/hr
throughput.

On a direct call you can use 2400 bps, OR a Trailblazer at about 14kbps.
Even if you are *only* using 2400 bps, you will still get much better
throughput (presumably) than Tymnet because you won't have:

	- increased end to end ack delays due to network (this can be helped if
	you have a seven window uucico)
	- to compete with any other users for use of the one 19.2 kbps line from
	Tymnet to UUNET

Telebit is offering the Trailblazers at a 50% discount to all Usenet sites
in the US. They may do the same for Canadian sites. It might be worth
bugging them or Telebit Canada if we're interested. Means getting it for
about $1000 Cdn. You can try Mike Ballard at 1-408-996-8000.

These modems will probably represent the absolute cheapest method of shipping
data to or from UUNET (and probably anywhere else).

UUNET claims to be getting effective throughputs equivalent to 14kbps.

They have at least two of these modems installed, one on a normal phone
line, and one on their (US) 800 number phone line. They will install as many
as they perceive a need for. Of course if they are getting effectively six
or seven times as much data pumped through them, they probably *won't* need
to get to many :-)

BTW reduced Tymnet charges seems to be a dead issue. Tymnet has basically
refused to budge and is being *very* secretive about why. I gather it has
something to do with not wanting to get the phone companies upset.

Also, someone suggested at one point that the CRTC would need to ok rates
for services like Tymnet. This is apparantly not true. The CRTC only
regulates the primary carriers (Datapac, CNCP, etc). They don't do much with
second level carriers like Tymnet and Telenet. Also there is apparantly a
significant problem in the the CRTC is effectively only regulating the phone
networks in BC, Ont, and Que. Apparently the provincially owned phone
companies in the other provinces are not playing along.

This means for example that although the CRTC says that the primary carriers
MUST provide service to secondary carriers, Tymnet has been unable to get a
phone line installed in Winnipeg.

Tymnet access in the US is likely to become passe as well. UUNET is now
offering 800 number service which is slightly more for access at night, but
far cheaper for access during the day ($15/hr I think). And they feel that
the costs might go down when alternative 800 number service is available
from other long distance carriers (late this fall). Also if the FCC access
fee gets put into place, the Tymnet fee for nightime access would more than
double.

Also if you have a Trailblazer you can pump a lot more data through a direct
call in an hour than you can over Tymnet.

I think that the Trailblazer modems might be an interesting way to set up a
mail and news network in Canada. I'm ordering at least three for use at
van-bc and two other local sites, as soon as I can convince them to give me
the same price as US sites.

Anyone else out there interested?

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532