[can.general] TELEBIT Usenet/UUCP Program

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (10/15/87)

See the referenced article in comp.newprod for details, but basically
Telebit is offering the version of their 14,000 bit/sec modem that
understands UUCP g protocol (the one everyone uses) to REGISTERED uucp
sites at half price (~US$670 - CAN$900) (maximum 2/site).

Currently it is only listed as being for the U.S.A.  If the offer was
extended to Canada, how many sites would take them up on the deal?  If
you would, send me mail, and after I have some measure of the demand,
I will approach Telebit & see if they will extend the offer.

My feeling is that with this kind of deal, Telebit will become the
defacto standard in high-speed modems in the UUCP world.  rick@seismo
also posted a report that the Telebit can get 16000+ bits/sec measured
on real UUCP traffic.  Now this is from uunet, which has a fair amount
of horsepower (although it only handles about 8500+ bps inbound), so
your mileage may vary, but this seems to me like an exciting offer.

(For an example, this 14,000bps equates to about 1 Megabyte in 12 minutes.)
(Also note that the modem does LZ data compression (compress(1)) on
the fly for the data.  This means your processor doesn't have to
compress/uncompress news....more useful horsepower.)

Brought to you as a service of /usr/group/cdn.
	../Dave

sl@van-bc.UUCP (10/15/87)

In article <186@tmsoft.UUCP> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>Telebit is offering the version of their 14,000 bit/sec modem that
>understands UUCP g protocol (the one everyone uses) to REGISTERED uucp
>sites at half price (~US$670 - CAN$900) (maximum 2/site).
>
>Currently it is only listed as being for the U.S.A.  If the offer was
>extended to Canada, how many sites would take them up on the deal?  If
>you would, send me mail, and after I have some measure of the demand,
>I will approach Telebit & see if they will extend the offer.

I have already done so. So far they are offerring a 40% discount, with a
limit of one per Usenet site. That works out to $1265 CDN.

>also posted a report that the Telebit can get 16000+ bits/sec measured

I'm currently getting about 650 cps (chars per sec) throughput to UUNET on a
Trailblazer. This will improve when I get swapped for a Trailblazer Plus
which has the data compression as well.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

sl@van-bc.UUCP (10/15/87)

In article <1446@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> In article <186@tmsoft.UUCP> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
> >Telebit is offering the version of their 14,000 bit/sec modem that
> >understands UUCP g protocol (the one everyone uses) to REGISTERED uucp
> >sites at half price (~US$670 - CAN$900) (maximum 2/site).
> >
> >Currently it is only listed as being for the U.S.A.  If the offer was
> >extended to Canada, how many sites would take them up on the deal?  If
> >you would, send me mail, and after I have some measure of the demand,
> >I will approach Telebit & see if they will extend the offer.
>
> I have already done so. So far they are offerring a 40% discount, with a
> limit of one per Usenet site. That works out to $1265 CDN.

Late breaking news (rumour)!

Telebit Canada is still evaluating their policy on the Usenet offer. There
is some indication that the price may end up being in the $1100 range, and
that each Usenet site would be able to be able to buy two at this price.

This price would be COD. They hope to have the Trailblazer Plus modems in
stock within two weeks.

*DISCLAIMER*

This is still an unsubstantiated rumour. I hope to have more information in
one or two weeks.

*END DISCLAIMER*

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532