[can.general] X-10 Remote Control Modules

ttims@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Tracy Tims) (02/19/88)

Does anyone know a good source for the X-10 wireless remote control equipment
in Canada?  I know that Radio Shaft sells them, but I was hoping to get them
cheaper.

Has anyone ever mail ordered these from the States?  If so, what were your
experiences like?

Does anyone use them?  Do you like them?

Tracy Tims

dudek@ai.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (02/19/88)

I have bought several types of X-10 controller from "Arkon" in Toronto.
I think they're very neat.  Some people of the net have referred to
having their whole house wired up, including the thermostat.  Infra-red
controllers & receivers were available at some time & they sound handy
if they're affordable.

--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Reasonable mailers:  dudek@ai.toronto.edu

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (02/20/88)

In article <4434@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> ttims@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Tracy Tims) writes:
>Does anyone know a good source for the X-10 wireless remote control equipment
>in Canada?  I know that Radio Shaft sells them, but I was hoping to get them
>cheaper.
>
>Has anyone ever mail ordered these from the States?  If so, what were your
>experiences like?

DAK in the US seems to have a perennial close out sale on X-10 stuff.
Typically less then 35% of the Canadian Rad Shack or Heath price.

I bought two of the computer control modules a year back for about $55 Cdn.
At that time Heath wanted $90 for one!

Unfortunately I don't know if DAK still carries X-10, and if they do you
will have problems ordering from them. They have a policy of *NOT* selling
anything into Canada. I don't know why. They will however ship anywhere
within the US, so if you're near a border you might be able to get it
shipped to a friend or customs broker across the border.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532