[can.general] Seeing everything twice

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (03/24/88)

Everything in the can. groups seems to be coming through here twice.
To you too?  Anyone any ideas why?

Ray Dunn.  ..{philabs,mnetor,musocs)!micomvax!ray

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (03/26/88)

In article <954@micomvax.UUCP> ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
>Everything in the can. groups seems to be coming through here twice.
>To you too?  Anyone any ideas why?
>
>Ray Dunn.  ..{philabs,mnetor,musocs)!micomvax!ray

Yup...  As far as I can figure, your signature says it all: micomvax
gets fed the can groups from both mnetor and philabs.  Normally, that
wouldn't be a problem, except that there is a long propagation delay
between philabs and micomvax (in the order of two weeks from what I
understand).  This means that the can.all messages arrive to micomvax
soon after they're posted, you read them, but then they come back through
philabs but probably after the "history file expiration time" (-E parameter
on expire) has elapsed.  Since inews can't find a trace of the message
in the history file, it assumes it's a new message and reposts it!

This problem can be made to disappear by increasing the value of the -E
parameter on "expire", but that may not be necessary as I understand that
all of these problems will disappear as soon as new hardware is installed
at Philips (the delay from philabs will then be drastically reduced so the
problem will go away).
--
Denis Fortin                            | fortin@zap.UUCP
CAE Electronics Ltd                     | philabs!micomvax!zap!fortin