[can.general] why both d.can.? and d.can.??.?

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (08/24/88)

Why does there exist a separate d.can.1 map file, even though there are
d.can.??.1 files for each province (which has subdomains)?

Is there a special reason to keep the members of the .CA domain separate
from the files listing Canadian members of .EDU, .COM, .ORG, etc.? Certainly
one wants to keep a distinction between the d.* and u.* files, but what
logical reason is there to keep .CA in a different file?

I understand that .CA is maintained in the Great White North (utai, to be
precise), while the others are registered thorugh stargate (I think). Still,
Canadians can send UUCP map entries to rutgers OR utai and both make it into
the u.can.??.? map files. Is this political? :-)

This came up because I'm writing a map-unpacking program in which the
country/province/state code in the filename is significant.

---
Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
            evan@telly.UUCP / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan
The advantage of the incomprehensible is that it never loses its freshness.

dan@maccs.McMaster.CA (Dan Trottier) (08/26/88)

In article <316@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>Why does there exist a separate d.can.1 map file, even though there are
>d.can.??.1 files for each province (which has subdomains)?

I'm not absolutely sure about this but there are sites that are not
registered under the provincial domains. For example the universities
are listed as second level domains (also some large companies). Other
smaller sites are usually fourth level domains beneath .city.prov.ca.

>Is there a special reason to keep the members of the .CA domain separate
>from the files listing Canadian members of .EDU, .COM, .ORG, etc.? Certainly
>one wants to keep a distinction between the d.* and u.* files, but what
>logical reason is there to keep .CA in a different file?

I'm not sure what the problem is here but the .CA domain is not the same
as the .COM, .EDU, .ORG, ... domains. These domains are part of the ARPA
net and CA is not. I expect the new .US domain will have a file similar
to the d.can.*.[123] files.

>I understand that .CA is maintained in the Great White North (utai, to be
>precise), while the others are registered thorugh stargate (I think). Still,
>Canadians can send UUCP map entries to rutgers OR utai and both make it into
>the u.can.??.? map files. Is this political? :-)

No actually you should never send your map entries to Stargate! I believe
that utai!path is the maintainer of the Canadian maps and is solely
responsible (along with rutger and others??) for map distribution.

Dan Trottier
--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan@mcmaster.BITNET

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/27/88)

In article <1385@maccs.McMaster.CA> dan@maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) writes:

>I'm not sure what the problem is here but the .CA domain is not the same
>as the .COM, .EDU, .ORG, ... domains. These domains are part of the ARPA
>net and CA is not. I expect the new .US domain will have a file similar
>to the d.can.*.[123] files.

Not true. COM, EDU, and ORG are not restricted to ARPA or the Internet
(look at the entry for sq.com). The U.S. went with several top level
domains due to the large number of sub-domains they expected to register.
Canada doesn't warrant multiple top level domains (despite what the
CDNNet people think) due to the relatively low number of sites in the
country. The CA domain is no better than, or in any way inferior to,
domains such as COM, etc...

As for d.can.1 vs d.can.xx.1, it appears Rayan is trying to simplify
things from an administrative viewpoint by maintaining seperate files
for the second level provincial "park" domains. Anyone who registers
under a provincial domain (e.g. .apss.ab.ca) is listed in d.can.ab.1,
while those directly registering a second level domain (e.g. .nexus.ca)
are listed in d.can.1. This convention could change as the name space
fills up.

--
VE6BBM   {alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA
--

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (08/27/88)

In article <316@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
# Why does there exist a separate d.can.1 map file, even though there are
# d.can.??.1 files for each province (which has subdomains)?

Because there had to be a place to keep global routing information and keeping
this data in the file associated with a specific province would not be
appropriate.  Since a d.can.1 then exists, it was natural to put the foo.Ca
domain info there, and the foo.Province.Ca (and below) info in a file associated
with the province.

# Is there a special reason to keep the members of the .CA domain separate
# from the files listing Canadian members of .EDU, .COM, .ORG, etc.? Certainly
# one wants to keep a distinction between the d.* and u.* files, but what
# logical reason is there to keep .CA in a different file?

I didn't think they were... look at sq.com, unicus.com and uofo.edu for
their location in the d.* files.  If they appear to be in a separate file,
its because there aren't any subdomains under .On.Ca yet...

# I understand that .CA is maintained in the Great White North (utai, to be
# precise), while the others are registered thorugh stargate (I think). Still,
# Canadians can send UUCP map entries to rutgers OR utai and both make it into
# the u.can.??.? map files. Is this political? :-)

Its them yanks.  rutgers!uucpmap just forwards (by manual intervention)
to utai!path.  Don't send to both, or I'll get 2 copies!

In fact, rutgers has been quite erratic lately in terms of being reachable
for map updates and processing them (as in, it seems to drop updates).  I
think I'll start posting from here again.  The disadvantage to this is that
you'll see 2 copies in comp.mail.maps, the one from here not having gone
through the sanity filters at rutgers.  2 months without maps is reason enough
I think.

rayan