[can.general] /usr/group/cdn & creation of can.usrgroup

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (10/20/88)

As Secretary & Director in charge of national affairs of
/usr/group/cdn I would like to propose the creation of a news group
called can.usrgroup.

At the most recent meeting of Unix Unanimous, the local Toronto
technical user's meeting which is sponsored by /usr/group/cdn, it was
suggested that the current unix-unanimous mailing list (ably run by
Paul Maclauchlan <paul@moore.UUCP>) would be useful to more people if
it was gatewayed to a newgroup.  As several people on that mailing list
do not receive news, the mailing list would remain and the gateway
would be bidirectional which is considerably simplified if it is a
separate news group (rather than dumping the articles into (say)
can.general).

The Board of Directors of /usr/group/cdn is most interested in
promoting the use & image of Unix throughout the country and I, as
Director responsible for National Affairs feel that one step in that
direction would be if all (affiliated or not) unix groups across the
country had available (and used) a forum to describe what they are
doing.  This would of course include meeting announcements, and I'm
sure a lot of us would find reports of those meetings useful as well.

The only remaining point that comes to mind is: 'Why not use
comp.org.usrgroup with a Canadian distribution?' to which my response
is that sometimes people would forget the distribution and 'our
affairs' would leak across the border.  (I had a political comment here
but I think the resulting flamage would divert attention from the
proposal at hand.:-)

I propose to create this group in a week or so unless there is violent
(or reasoned :-) opposition.  Feel free to discuss this in this group,
but if you want to tally a vote (for whatever reason) send me mail.

Thank you for your time & patience.

	../Dave Mason

P.S. If you have other ideas about how to raise the national profile
of Unix and/or /usr/group/cdn, or ideas on how /usr/group/cdn could
help the Unix community, please feel free to mail me or:
Peter Renzland <peter@ontmoh>: Director - Technical Programs
Dan Tomlinson <dan@compus>   : Director - Member Services, Operations & Finance

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (10/20/88)

In article <1988Oct20.012434.11103@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>As Secretary & Director in charge of national affairs of
>/usr/group/cdn I would like to propose the creation of a news group
>called can.usrgroup.

[stuff about Unix-Unanimous mailing-list and distribution deleted]

>I propose to create this group in a week or so unless there is violent
>(or reasoned :-) opposition.  Feel free to discuss this in this group,
>but if you want to tally a vote (for whatever reason) send me mail.

Sounds like a good idea to have a UNIX newsgroup.  Will this be a group
dedicated to /usr/group/cdn discussion or all user groups discussion or
UNIX discussion in general?  If it is for discussion regarding UNIX
then I suggest that the name be "can.unix".  We have a "uw.unix"
newsgroup and it is an extremely helpful forum for UNIX questions,
answers and other discussion.  I hesitate to call the newsgroup
can.usrgroup unless it's dedicated to User Group discussion, but I may
be out of line since I don't subscribe to comp.org.usrgroup and thus am
unable to base my conclusions on the content of that group.  It just
seems to me that can.unix sounds more inclusive.
--
Andy Toy, Applications Support Group, Department of Computing Services (DCS),
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1, 519/885-1211 x3417

smeg@bigsur.uucp (Maarten Koning) (10/21/88)

Not being a member of unix-unanimous, I don't have a feel for
the volume and content of its postings.  Could someone please summarize this?

In article <5182@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy,
Applications Support Group) *very intelligently* (hi Andy!) writes:

>Sounds like a good idea to have a UNIX newsgroup....
>...then I suggest that the name be "can.unix".

Assuming the mailing list is a forum for all of general, beginner, and guru
topics then it would seem that can.unix would be more appropriate a name.

Maarten Koning (Bell-Northern Research)		Phone: (613) 763-8796
USENET:	utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!bigsur!smeg	(bigsur!smeg@bnr-rsc.uucp)
Surface: P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7