[can.general] A Good Idea From Dr. David Suzuki

john@yunccn.UUCP (John Hummel) (10/21/88)

   Here is a quote from Dr. David Suzuki which is apropriate for
these uncertain times. Dr. Suzuki is a journalist,scientist,author,
and famous T.V.personality here in Canada.

     "Native peoples have an attitude in which the humans
      are a part of a much greater picture. They know that
      you don't kick the shit out of nature because you know
      nature is going to bounce back and hit you in the face.
      If we environmentalists care about saving anything, we
      have to throw our lot in totally with native land claims.
      If we succeed, we will save the last vestiges of our
      wilderness, and in the process we will come to realize
      that there is a radically different way of looking at
      the world"-David Suzuki

In article <536@yunccn.UUCP> john@yunccn.UUCP (John Hummel) writes:
>   Here is a quote from Dr. David Suzuki...
>     "Native peoples have an attitude in which the humans
>      are a part of a much greater picture...

Such a pity that even David Suzuki has been taken in by this.  The fact
is, native peoples varied widely, and more than a few had the same sort of
whatever-we-can-get-away-with attitude that we do.  They just didn't have
the power to do real damage, by and large.  Of course, you don't hear much
about this today:  the environmentalists want to present the native peoples
as squeaky-clean good examples, the native groups (only the least "civilized"
of which still retain a pro-nature attitude, even among groups that once had
one) find a pose of ecological sainthood useful for political purposes, and
miscellaneous do-gooders find romantic appeal in the semi-myth of the
ecologically aware native.  I'm not saying that the belief is completely
baseless -- it's not -- but one should distinguish facts from hype.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

paul@geac.UUCP (Paul Gooderham) (10/24/88)

In article <1988Oct22....> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <536@yunccn.UUCP> john@yunccn.UUCP (John Hummel) writes:
>>   Here is a quote from Dr. David Suzuki...
>>     "Native peoples have an attitude in which the humans
>>      are a part of a much greater picture...
>
>Such a pity that even David Suzuki has been taken in by this.  The fact
>is, native peoples varied widely, and more than a few had the same sort of
>whatever-we-can-get-away-with attitude that we do.

In support of this statement is a story on the front page of
The Globe and Mail several days ago. It described a Cree band
that bought (part of?) an airline that serves northern Ontatio.
Draw what conclusions you will, but it doesn't look like they
intend to live off the land.

--
Paul J. Gooderham, Geac Computer Corporation, Markham, Ontario
paul@geac OR {uunet!mnetor,utgpu,yunexus}!geac!paul

felix@geaclib.UUCP (Felix the Cat) (10/27/88)

In article <3501@geac.UUCP> paul@geac.UUCP (Paul Gooderham) writes:
>It described a Cree band that bought (part of?) an airline that
>serves northern Ontatio.

>Draw what conclusions you will, but it doesn't look like they
>intend to live off the land.

... well, I can't think of a better way to live *off* the land,
than by owning an *air*line ... heh heh heh

(sorry, couldn't resist ... so flame me :-)

meow