[can.general] The Weston Empire.

carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (11/02/88)

On the way in to work this morning, my wife and I got into a discussion
about wealth, farmers, and grocery stores.  In this discussion, she stated that:

	a) the Weston family owns most of the chain grocery stores in North
		America, and
	b) they own over 200 big-name companies.

Now I can sort of believe the latter (although I am wary of the 200 figure) but
I really don't buy the former.  Does anyone have any idea about the validity of
these statements?  What companies do they own, anyway?

--

Carlo Sgro                              NET POLICE WARNING:  .signatures that
watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo            are too long will be trunc

soley@ontenv.UUCP (soley) (11/03/88)

In article <164@electro.UUCP>, carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:

> What companies do they own, anyway?

Loblaws, Gordons, Zehrs in Canada. Bells and National Supermarkets in the US
probably more too. The Weston empire has nowhere near the ubiquity that
the Thompson family has in other retail sectors, there are only three large
retailers in the country Eatons, Sears, and the Thompson empire (Bay, Simpsons
Zellers, and many more)

36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) (11/03/88)

In article <164@electro.UUCP>, carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:

> On the way in to work this morning, my wife and I got into a discussion
> about wealth, farmers, and grocery stores.  In this discussion, she stated that:
>
> 	a) the Weston family owns most of the chain grocery stores in North
> 		America, and
> 	b) they own over 200 big-name companies.
>
> Now I can sort of believe the latter (although I am wary of the 200 figure) but
> I really don't buy the former.  Does anyone have any idea about the validity of
> these statements?  What companies do they own, anyway?
>
> --
>
> Carlo Sgro                              NET POLICE WARNING:  .signatures that
> watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo            are too long will be trunc

WARNING RUMOR MILL STARTING -@#$%^&*():)

I heard that G. Weston makes a buck a minute 60 min/hour 24 hr/day 365
days/yr. Nothing substantial to back that up but it would not supprise
me at all!

Dave Kinchlea             Kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca

stewartw@neptune.UUCP (Stewart Winter ) (11/05/88)

In article <250@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (soley) writes:
>the Thompson family has in other retail sectors, there are only three large
>retailers in the country Eatons, Sears, and the Thompson empire (Bay, Simpsons
>Zellers, and many more)

   Are we ignoring Dialex and Comark because they aren't Canadian owned?  They
certainly are getting lots of our money!

--
Stewart Winter             Cognos Incorporated               P.O. Box 9707
VOICE:  (613) 738-1440     FAX:  (613) 738-0002              3755 Riverside Dr.

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/05/88)

In article <164@electro.UUCP> carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:
>On the way in to work this morning, my wife and I got into a discussion
>about wealth, farmers, and grocery stores.  In this discussion, she stated that:
>	a) the Weston family owns most of the chain grocery stores in North
>		America, and
>	b) they own over 200 big-name companies.
>Now I can sort of believe the latter (although I am wary of the 200 figure) but
>I really don't buy the former.  Does anyone have any idea about the validity of
>these statements?  What companies do they own, anyway?

Loblaws Corp is enormous, but I thing that "most" is a bit overstated (as
might be "own" as well....).  They have by far the largest part of the
Canadian market (eg: Mr. Grocer and several of the larger Quebec chains).
They also own quite a number of big US chains - interestingly enough, most
of the employees of the US chains don't know it - unamerican you know.  Wish
I could remember the other major names I heard.
--
Chris Lewis
{uunet!attcan,uunet,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (11/06/88)

In article <164@electro.UUCP> carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:

>	a) the Weston family owns most of the chain grocery stores in North
>		America, and
>	b) they own over 200 big-name companies.
>
>Now I can sort of believe the latter (although I am wary of the 200 figure) but
>I really don't buy the former.  Does anyone have any idea about the validity of
>these statements?  What companies do they own, anyway?

They do own/control a lot of stores and make a lot of money:

(from the 1986 annual report for Loblaw Companies Ltd.):
	USA: 35 % of Loblaw Companies' sales ($2.74 billion)
	Western CANADA: 25.9 % of sales (2.03 billion)
	Eastern CANADA: 39.1 % of sales (3.07 billion)

	Total income: $7.839 billion.
	Total net earnings: $74 million.
	Total assets: $1.978 billion.

	258 stores in Eastern CANADA
	 53 stores in Western CANADA
	130 stores in the USA
	171 franchises of Peter J. Schmitt Co., Inc. in the USA
	 21 corporate Peter J. Schmitt Co., Inc. stores in the USA

(Peter J. Schmitt Co., Inc. is, I believe, owned entirely by Loblaw's.)

(There were 380 retail stores, 62 cash & carry units, 1,483 franchised
accounts, and 19,803 unaffiliated accounts at the end of 1986.)

I've not seen an annual report for George Weston Ltd.  I'm not sure of
the relationship between George Weston and Wittington Investments, Ltd.,
which I believe, is at the top of the pyramid.

Under Loblaw Companies Ltd. there are seven "big name" companies, of
which one is Central Canada Grocers Inc., which in turn controls five more
well known companies.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!ontmoh!woods, lsuc!gate!woods
VOICE: (416)443-1734 [h], (416)595-5425 [w]  LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (11/10/88)

In article <885@uwovax.uwo.ca> 36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) writes:
>I heard that G. Weston makes a buck a minute 60 min/hour 24 hr/day 365
>days/yr. Nothing substantial to back that up but it would not supprise
>me at all!

It would surprise me.  That's only about $500,000 a year.

(Occasionally useful mnemonic:  there are about pi * 10**7 seconds in a year.)
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (11/11/88)

>I heard that G. Weston makes a buck a minute 60 min/hour 24 hr/day 365
>days/yr. Nothing substantial to back that up but it would not supprise
>me at all!
>
>Dave Kinchlea             Kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca

That's $525,600 per year.  For the CEO of a large organization,
it's certainly not out of line.  There are plenty of executives
around who make more.

Ever wonder where the money comes from to pay for all the houses
in the Toronto area that cost $800,000 or $1.2 million?  There's
a *lot* of money floating around.  (Even professionals with what
I used to think were "reasonable" professional incomes can't
afford houses any more.)

Followups to can.politix.

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

kornellm@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Kornell) (11/11/88)

In article <885@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 36_5130@uwovax.uwo.ca (Kinch) writes:
> I heard that G. Weston makes a buck a minute 60 min/hour 24 hr/day 365
> days/yr. Nothing substantial to back that up but it would not supprise
> me at all!
>
> Dave Kinchlea             Kinch@uwovax.uwo.ca

If you do your math (use your calculator :-)  and multiply 60 x 24 x 365
you get just over half a million.  ($525600)

This seems quite a bit low if the man owns 200 stores, let alone a "financial"
empire.

Mark