[can.general] postal code database

hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) (01/10/89)

Does anyone know if a machine readable version of Canadian Postal
Codes is available at low cost?  I am aware Canada Post will supply
some EBCDIC tapes at high cost.  I have no facilities to read
EBCDIC tapes.  I would prefer ASCII and maybe even some indexing
information, but I can't be too picky.  Ideally it would be nice
to have some sort of database system that one could query or perhaps
even integrate into existing packages for automated coding.

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (01/11/89)

hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) writes:
>Does anyone know if a machine readable version of Canadian Postal
>Codes is available at low cost?

Glad you asked.  I clipped this from a computer rag a few months
ago and have been trying to figure out what to do with it :-)

	Computer Postal Code Finder

	PostLink, by ProMark Software, will automatically
	look up and insert Canadian Postal Codes from within
	your dBase, C or Basic programs as well as with ASCII
	files.  Call toll-free for more information:
		1-800-663-4687
	[giant letters] $99

	[fine print] Western Canada, Ontario or Quebec for
	only $99 each.  Atlantic Canada $49.  All Canada $249.

	ProMark Software Inc.
	#404-935 Marine Drive
	North Vancouver, BC
	V7P 1S3

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

eastick@hammer.me.toronto.edu (Doug Eastick) (01/11/89)

While it sounds like a great idea/product, I read in the latest
official postal code directory that something like 15% of the codes
are changed every year, and many new ones are added.  I'm not too sure
of that percentage.

I guess that this would outdate a database unless updates were
supplied. I would check how much the codes actually change, and if
updates are supplied, before purchasing any package.

--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.toronto.edu

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (01/11/89)

:
:Glad you asked.  I clipped this from a computer rag a few months
:ago and have been trying to figure out what to do with it :-)
:
:	Computer Postal Code Finder
:
:	PostLink, by ProMark Software, will automatically
:	look up and insert Canadian Postal Codes from within
:	your dBase, C or Basic programs as well as with ASCII
:	files.  Call toll-free for more information:
:		1-800-663-4687
:	[giant letters] $99

 Last time I looked at this package (about 6 months ago) the
 database was encrypted so that you could not gain access to
 their actual data. You had to use their programs to access
 the database of directories. Naturally, this was PC support
 only.

-david-

hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (01/11/89)

Remember that postal codes are not absolute. I recently moved to a new
house and was shocked to discover that I have TWO valid postal codes. The
reason being that my house, and the supermailbox are on opposite sides
of the street (thus the postal code for either is good).

Hans Jespersen          UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.          or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arrakis!hans

PS. I still don't understand what all the fuss is/was about supermailboxes.
    When I lived in the country I had to walk farther to get to my own
    mailbox