[can.general] CIPS Congress '89

jonathan@alberta.UUCP (Jonathan Schaeffer) (02/22/89)

                  C O N G R E S S   ' 8 9   P R O G R A M

Congress '89 is the annual Cips National Congress.  This year's event
is being held in Edmonton, May 31 to June 2nd.  The conference has an
outstanding line-up of speakers, including:

	Ray Bradbury - Futurist & Author
	Bill Joy - Founder & V.P. - Sun Microsystems
	Pierre Ducros - CEO, DMR INC.
	Donald Michie, Turing Institute
	John McCarthy, Stanford University
	Fraser Mustard, Head - CIAR
	Dr. John Grace, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
	Dr. V. Arlazarov,  Moscow Institute Systems Studies
	Wirt Cook, Director Strategic Dev. - IBM

As well, Congress '89 will be host to the triennial World Computer Chess
Championship (May 28-31).

PROGRAM

MAY 31, 1989:
	Opening Keynote Address -  Pierre Ducros - CEO, DMR INC.
	"Beach Head Canada - Winning World Markets?"

	Roy Lindseth, CEO - TECHNICA
	"Maybe we won't freeze in the dark - Oil patch prospect in the '90's"

	Don Michie, Turing Institute, Glasgow
	Robotic Expert Systems & the Application of Machine Intelligence

	John McCarthy, Stanford University
	"Chess as the Drosophila of Artificial Intelligence"

	T. Marsland, University of Alberta
	"Network Multi-Proc.OB"

	Jean-Marc Proulx, VP, DMR
	"Project Management in a JAD & Prototyping world"

	P. Sorenson,  University of Saskatoon
	"System Dev. in Hazardous Env."

	M. Walker, Myrias Corporation
	"Parallel Computing in the 90's"

	Mike Strenbitsky, SUPT., E.P.S.B.
	"Dare to be Better"

	M. Bass, Arthur Andersen
	"The Information Worker:  Will Life be Better or Worse?"

	Dr. Doug Wright
	Pres., University of Winnipeg
	"Human Resource Requirements for the 90's"

	Geraldine Kenny-Wallace, Chairman, Science Council
	"Advanced Technology for Canada"

	Fraser Mustard, Head - CIAR
	"Innovation and Canada's Prosperity"

	Denzil Doyle, CEO, Doyletech
	"The Last Decade - Did We make Any Progress?"

JUNE 1, 1989:

	Keynote Address:  Bill Joy - Founder & V.P. - Sun Microsystems
	"The Future of Computing.  The Open Systems Imperative"

	S. Isloor, SHL
	"Collective Memory"

	Carl Hamacher, Head CSRI, University of Toronto
	"LAN's for the 90's"

	Ursula Maydell, University of Alberta
	"Integrated Online Image Management"

	Peter McLean, V.P., AGT
	"Voice, Data, Text & Image Integration on a Commercial Scale"

	John Kramenburg, GM - Northern Telecom

	Dr. David Erbach, Great-West Life
	"Expert Systems in Commercial Practice-Point & Counterpoint"

	David Malmberg, Dir., McKesson Corp
	"Changing the Rules of the Game - McKessons Economost System"

	Bill Grace, Partner, Price Waterhouse
	"The Future of the CCB - Did we Learn Anything?"

	G. McMaster, Brandon
	"Exciting Literature"

	George Fierheller, Pres. CANTEL,
	"Chips, Bits & a Speck of Spectrum"

	Bill Buxton, University of Toronto
	"The Human as Multi-Media Technology"

	Keynote Address:  Joe Martin - Senior Partner, Touche Ross
	"Beyond Canada to the International Scene"

	Carl Pitasi, Director, Gartner
	"5 Year Plan for Corp. Network Communications"

	Dr. John Grace, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
	"Technology - The Privacy Issue of the 90's"

	Dr. V. Arlazarov,  Moscow Institute Systems Studies
	"Computing in the Soviet Union"

	J. Umbach, Calgary
	"Tapping New Energy"

	Don Hao, Harbin,
	"Prospects for Technology & Education in China"

	Dr. Harold Highland, Sponsored by:  CIPS  National Security SIG
	"Viruses"

	Malcolm MacTaggert, General Manager, Microsoft
	"Tools & Strategies for the 90's"

	Debbie Harris, Gelman Hayward
	Breaking Through With Relational Technology"

	Burry Foss,  Gelman Hayward
	"Fast Tracking the Results"

JUNE 2, 1989:

	Keynote Address, Wirt Cook, Director Strategic Dev. - IBM
	"The Information Processing Industry in the 1990's"

	G. McMaster, Brandon
	"Knowledge Bases"

	Wayne Davis, University of Alberta
	"The Use of Artificial Intelligence in Spatial Systems"

	Tamer Ozsu, University of Alberta
	"From Data Management to Knowledge Management"

	Glover Ferguson, Arthur Andersen
	"Of Tools, Temples & Cathedrals"

	Jacques Malo, LGS Group
	"National Acceptance of EDI - Canada's Manifesto for the 1990's"

	Chris Trump, VP, Spar Aero
	"The Space Station - Eye in the Sky or Tomorrow's Workplace"

	Mike Ozerkevich, President, SNHS,
	"Emerging Technology & the Competitive Edge"

	Ian Rose, I.B. Rose & Assoc.
	"Changing Roles:  Training the IS Professional of the 1990's"

	Ian Wilson, Asst. Supt. EPSB
	"Computer Literacy - Let the Children Speak?"

	Closing Keynote Address  Ray Bradbury - Futurist & Author
	"The Great Years Ahead"

REGISTRATION FORM:

CONGRESS '89  -  "PROSPECT FOR THE 90'S" - MAY 29 - JUNE 2, 1989

Last Name __________________________ First Name ____________________
Company ____________________________ Office Telephone ______________
Title_______________________________ Res Phone _____________________
Street Address _____________________________________________________
City _______________________________________________________________
CIPS # __________  Cips Home Section _______________________________

(Yes/No)_______ Are you a student interested in attending the conference?
The conference committee will attempt to arrange sponsorship.

PROGRAM FEE STRUCTURE          MEMBER      NON-MEMBER      TOTAL

CONF. & TUTORIALS  EARLY **     $695               $825              $_____
                   LATE  **     $750               $875              $_____

CONFERENCE ONLY    EARLY **     $395               $525              $_____
                   LATE  **     $450               $575              $_____

SINGLE DAYS:                    $200               $300              $_____
                                Please Circle Choice(s)...
                               May 31/89 June 1/89 June 2/89

TUTORIAL (Indicate)             $225               $250              $_____

FACULTY DISCOUNT  ***           DEDUCT 30 %                         ($_____)

COMPANIONS PROGRAM (Name to Appear on Badge)____________________

Additional "Northern Telecom ISDN Goldrush" tickets______ @ $35      $_____
Ray Bradbury Theatre Tickets                       ______ @ $15      $_____

MAKE CHEQUE PAYABLE TO "CIPS Congress '89"

T O T A L   C O S T .................................................$_____

TUTORIAL CHOICES -
Indicate 1(one) per day on days you plan to attend
(May 29)  _______ Workstations I         _______ Data Base Strategies
          _______ Project Management     _______ Surviving in the 90's

(May 30)  _______ Workstations II        _______ Data Modelling
          _______ Free trade             _______ Security
*     Excludes Sales Taxes
**    Deadline for early registration:  postmarked prior to April 15, 1989
***   Requires covering letter verifying full-time academic faculty status
       at a post-secondary educational institution
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Refunds will be made to registrants ONLY if requested in writing and
  postmarked by May 15, 1989.  A $25 handling charge will be deducted
  from the refund.
- Attendance substitutions are encouraged.
- For any additional information please phone (403)  420-7440

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (02/22/89)

In article <2063@pembina.UUCP> jonathan@alberta.UUCP (Jonathan Schaeffer) writes:
> [...from list of speakers for CIPS Congress '89...]
>
>	Dr. Doug Wright
>	Pres., University of Winnipeg
>	"Human Resource Requirements for the 90's"

Is this correct and a coincidence that the U of Winnipeg's president
is named Dr. Doug Wright too?  U of Waterloo's president is
Dr. Doug Wright.
--
Andy Toy, Department of Computing Services,      | andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.CA
  University of Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA        | andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

jonathan@alberta.UUCP (Jonathan Schaeffer) (02/23/89)

In article <5579@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> Andy Toy writes
 > In article <2063@pembina.UUCP> Jonathan Schaeffer writes:
 > > [...from list of speakers for CIPS Congress '89...]
 > >	Dr. Doug Wright
 > >	Pres., University of Winnipeg
 >
 > Is this correct and a coincidence that the U of Winnipeg's president
 > is named Dr. Doug Wright too?  U of Waterloo's president is Dr. Wright.
 > Andy Toy, Department of Computing Service

Thanks for the correction.  The program listed Doug Wright's affiliation
as "U of W".  When the secretary put it into e-mail form, she expanded
U of W to U of Winnepeg.  As a former Waterloo'er myself, I should have
caught it.