[can.general] Bills from Europe

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (03/21/89)

In article <1989Mar12.151948.269@tmsoft.uucp>
mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:

> Personally, I don't understand why it bothers Canadians any more to be
> billed from Denmark, Holland or England than from the U.S.A.

Well, I can think of one reason:  Mail from the US gets here more quickly.
Even though I've been living in Canada for seven years, I've continued to
keep my Citibank(USA) Visa card.  (Why?  Because they offered me a credit
limit nearly three times what any other bank, Canadian or American, did.)
Until recently, the bills would be mailed from the US, and took about six
days to arrive here.  For the past several months, though, the bills have
been mailed from Europe (sometimes Denmark, sometimes the Netherlands),
and seem to take an average of two weeks (!!) to arrive.  One bill even
arrived several days after the due date.  I've written to complain, and
to let them know that I have no intention of paying any interest or late
payment charges because of this silliness.

I suspect buggy software.  Some computer, somewhere, has probably been
told that anything outside the US is best handled from Europe.  For a
short while, Canadian members of Usenix were receiving copies of ;login:
that were mailed from Europe.  A quick e-message to Peter Salus, pointing
out that Europe=>Canada postage can't possibly be less than US=>Canada
postage (not to mention the cost of bulk mailing all those Canada-bound
issues to Europe in the first place!), quickly got that problem fixed.

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu