[can.general] income tax: what's this nonsense?

greg@sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) (03/27/89)

One thing about these stupid new forms has been bothering me.  Revune
Canada has their nice big computer computing away.  It's going to
compute how much they owe me, so why do I have to go through the
nonsense of computing 17% of this and 26% of that, fold mutliate and
spindle.  I'm going to get it wrong anyway - their computer has said
that they owe me more than I thought they did for the last couple of
years running.  So, why should I go throug the aggravation of filling
in the bottom line when they're going to ignore it?

Inquiring minds want to know...

--
Greg Franks                  Systems and Computer Engineering,
utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!sce!greg  Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) (03/27/89)

Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
you disagree it doesn't matter since they can just take your money without a
court order.
Hardly seems worth all the hassle to try and figure it out for oneself.
Steve Miller

--
Steve_Miller@Mindlink.uucp

   We come and go  like comets

      We are wanderers

         Are you anymore...

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (03/29/89)

In article <582@sce.carleton.ca>, greg@sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) writes:
> ....  So, why should I go throug the aggravation of filling
> in the bottom line when they're going to ignore it?

They want you to *work* for your money. If they just gave it to you
it would be too easy. :-)

--

"You should not drink and bake."
				- Arnold Schwarzenegger, _Raw Deal_

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (03/29/89)

In article <582@sce.carleton.ca> greg@sce.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>It's going to
>compute how much they owe me, so why do I have to go through the
>nonsense of computing 17% of this and 26% of that, fold mutliate and
>spindle.  [ ... ]
>So, why should I go throug the aggravation of filling
>in the bottom line when they're going to ignore it?

Note that this only applies to people who expect refunds.  For those of
us who owe the receiver general even more money, Revenue Canada is not
going to be happy if you miscalculate and underpay them.  And who wants
to overpay?

kocic@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Miroslav Kocic) (03/29/89)

In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:

>Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
>computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
>you disagree it doesn't matter since they can just take your money without a
>court order.
>Hardly seems worth all the hassle to try and figure it out for oneself.
>Steve Miller

The man raises a valid point.  RevCan gets all documentation from other sources
anyway -- ie. employers, financial institutions -- so filing a personal return
seems to be a duplication of effort, and a wasteful one considering that most
personal return filers aren't taxation experts.  Why not just have the
government do all calculations, mail you a bill/refund, and let you file an
appeal if you disagree with their figures?

Miki Kocic

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (03/29/89)

In article <1989Mar29.002321.5939@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
>In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>
>>Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
>>computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
>
>The man raises a valid point.  RevCan gets all documentation from other sources
>anyway -- ie. employers, financial institutions -- so filing a personal return
>seems to be a duplication of effort, and a wasteful one considering that most

The idea behind having both sides of the transaction report is to
provide a system of checks and balances so that (for example) if the
bank keep witholding tax when they pay you some interest they can't
just pocket it, because you'll send the government your T5 or whatever
which will show a discrepancy.  (Of course it also works the other way
if YOU're the one trying to avoid tax).
	../Dave

sph@apss.ab.ca (Shaun Hammond) (03/30/89)

In article <1989Mar29.002321.5939@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, kocic@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
> In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>
> >Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
> >computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
> government do all calculations, mail you a bill/refund, and let you file an
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> appeal if you disagree with their figures?
>
> Miki Kocic
Remarkably like the UK tax system of the early 80's (I haven't lived there
since '81 so I can't comment on any "reforms" instituted since then.)
Basically one filled out one form giving all your income (expectations) etc
sent it off, and the Tax office did the rest. The only hassle I had was
my mortgage interest payments (tax deductible) which varied (ususally upwards)
during that time. However, the mortgage company did all the hard work.
The form filling ocurred usually only at the start of employment and
your employer kept the tax office updated on any changes. In this way
they took only what they had to each month, never any more or less. At the
end of the year (as I recall it) you got details of tax paid etc etc.
I never filed a tax return in 4 years, but then again I really did
not know anything about the tax system as the above probably shows.
It was reputed that if you underreported, you paid, if they ( the tax office)
screwed up, they paid. I'm guessing that I had a very simple "return" at
that time. The system was great for the individual, and from the look of the
UK budget surplus, the Chancellor of the Exchequer thought so too.

My feeling is that by going through the tax return in detail, you (sometimes)
get an idea of how the system works. You may not agree with it, but
at least you get an idea of how to formulate your own personal "tax
strategy".

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (03/30/89)

In article <1989Mar29.002321.5939@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
>In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>
>>Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
>>computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
>
>The man raises a valid point.  RevCan gets all documentation from other sources
>anyway -- ie. employers, financial institutions -- so filing a personal return
>seems to be a duplication of effort, and a wasteful one considering that most

A great problem with this is that RevCan, in its infinite wisdom, will charge
you late penalties (assuming that you owe them something).

-david-

kocic@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Miroslav Kocic) (03/30/89)

In article <1107@apss.apss.ab.ca> sph@apss.ab.ca (Shaun Hammond) writes:

>My feeling is that by going through the tax return in detail, you (sometimes)
>get an idea of how the system works. You may not agree with it, but
>at least you get an idea of how to formulate your own personal "tax
>strategy".

Probably, but the formulation of tax strategies is what eventually enables
loopholes and all sorts of other time- and resource-wasting nonsense.  Unless
the point of knowing tax laws is to cheat, or to protect yourself from a
corrupt or klutzy government, I'm not sure why Joe Blow needs to know the Tax
Laws at all, CONSIDERING HOW COMPLICATED THEY ARE.  I'd think differently if
they were simple.
	Please note that I'm largely a taxation ignoramus (although I help all
my close relatives with their tax returns, being the only fully literate person
among them).  Any knowledgeable person who wants to enlighten me is warmly
invited to do so.

Miki Kocic

cebly@ai.toronto.edu (Craig Boutilier) (03/30/89)

>In article <1989Mar29.002321.5939@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
>>In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>>
>>>Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
>>>computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway...
>>
>>The man raises a valid point. RevCan gets all documentation from other sources
>>anyway -- ie. employers, financial institutions -- so filing a personal return
>>seems to be a duplication of effort, and a wasteful one considering that most

Aside from all the good arguments already posted regarding the importance of
the populace having some idea of what's going on (what deductions exist,
how the system works, etc.), there is also the point that RevCanTax does NOT
have all relevant documentation, nor can it obtain it. Consider things like
moving expenses, medical expenses, charitable donations, and all the other
things I know nothing about. How, for instance, are they going to estimate
your moving expenses (or even know ...) if you are eligible
for such a deduction?

Craig Boutilier
Dept. of Comp. Sci.
Univ. of Toronto

cebly@ai.toronto.edu

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (03/30/89)

In article <1989Mar29.212532.22054@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
>In article <1107@apss.apss.ab.ca> sph@apss.ab.ca (Shaun Hammond) writes:
>>
>>My feeling is that by going through the tax return in detail, you (sometimes)
>>get an idea of how the system works. You may not agree with it, but
>>at least you get an idea of how to formulate your own personal "tax
>>strategy".
>
>Probably, but the formulation of tax strategies is what eventually enables
>loopholes and all sorts of other time- and resource-wasting nonsense.  Unless
>the point of knowing tax laws is to cheat, or to protect yourself from a
>corrupt or klutzy government, I'm not sure why Joe Blow needs to know the Tax
>Laws at all, CONSIDERING HOW COMPLICATED THEY ARE.  I'd think differently if
>they were simple.

Simple or not, I think Shaun's right.  I worked in Britain for a year in
1976-77, and I agree with his impressions:  it's easy to have the government
calculate your taxes, but it doesn't give you the feeling you know what's
going on.  The tax return isn't *that* complicated, and working through it
-- and reading about the deductions other people can use but you can't --
gives you a better idea about what's costing you and how you're doing
relative to the rest of the world.

It's not Joe Blow who uses loopholes; it's Joseph Bleaugh, Esq.  (-- I just
made that up! --)  And do you imagine Joseph's British relatives don't find
loopholes, just because Joe's don't see the tax calculation?
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

ebspencer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Bruce Spencer) (03/30/89)

I've just found a new twist that seems, well - I'll let you guess how
fair I think it is.

I pay tax by quarterly installments because I don't get enough deducted from
source. There are two ways to calculate the installment - go by last
year's earnings, or guess what you will be making. I'm a PhD student
whose funds are dwindling so that this year I expect to make less than last.
So I want to pay by my expected earnings for 1989. Ok so far.

Here's the twist. If I get really industrious, finish up, and start
earning real money, say, in September, I will end up not giving enough
for my first three installment. RevCan wants the installments to be
equal so I will owe interest, calculated at usurous rates, for the first
installments.

Or, in a few words, I'll owe income tax on income I hadn't earned yet!

Yep, sounds fair to me.

ebspencer@watdragon.waterloo.cdn  Bruce Spencer
                                  CS Dept, University of Waterloo,
(519) 885-1211, x3626             Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L-3G1.

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/31/89)

kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
>The man raises a valid point.  RevCan gets all documentation from other sources
>anyway -- ie. employers, financial institutions -- so filing a personal return
>seems to be a duplication of effort, and a wasteful one considering that most
>personal return filers aren't taxation experts.  Why not just have the
>government do all calculations, mail you a bill/refund, and let you file an
>appeal if you disagree with their figures?

As other posters have pointed out, that's approximately what happens
in some countries, such as the U.K.  In Canada, we have a self-assessment
system.  That is, each taxpayer computes their own income and tax payable.

Revenue Canada does not get documentation from other sources for
the purpose of computing your tax payable.  It gets that documentation
for verification and audit purposes only.  Your statements on your
income tax return are the starting point.  And, as has been pointed
out, many tax items don't show up neatly on information slips.  Some
of them can't.  Capital gains calculations, for example, can't possibly
be calculated by a broker unless you deal with only one broker.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (03/31/89)

In article <144@mindlink.UUCP> a283@mindlink.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>Yes I agree! Why don't we all just send in blank signed returns and let their
>computer assess what is owed to whom. In the end it's up to them anyway and if
>you disagree it doesn't matter since they can just take your money without a
>court order.

This is utterly and fundamentally misleading.  While it is true
that garnishment of bank accounts by Revenue Canada requires
no court order if an assessment has been issued and the time for
filing a notice of objection has expired, there are many many steps
you can take long before that stage is reached.

1. You can have your say (on paper) when filing your return.
2. You may send in additional information at any time.
3. You may meet with District Taxation Office representatives to
   discuss your return.
4. You will, as a matter of departmental policy, be contacted before
   a reassessment is issued and be given a chance to state your case.
5. You can file a Notice of Objection to any assessment or reassessment.
6. You can state your case to independent Appeals Officers who deal
   with every Notice of Objection filed.
7. You can take the case to the Tax Court of Canada, which has
   informal procedures that do not require a lawyer.
8. You can appeal further to the Federal Court of Canada, Trial Division.
9. You can appeal further to the Federal Court of Appeal.
10.You can appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, if leave to appeal
   is granted by either that Court or the Federal Court of Appeal.

Rather a different picture than the one painted by Mr. Miller.
It is not "up to them".

David Sherman
--

In article <296@torsqnt.UUCP> david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>A great problem with this is that RevCan, in its infinite wisdom, will charge
>you late penalties (assuming that you owe them something).

First of all, don't blame Revenue Canada for the rules.  Parliament
makes the rules, as proposed by the Minister of Finance.  Revenue Canada
enforces and administers the Income Tax Act, whose provisions were
enacted by vote of your Member of Parliament.

Second, what you are describing is not penalties.
Penalties apply only in cases of fraud, misrepresentation
or gross negligence.  What you are referring to is interest,
and it goes both ways.  Interest is calculated at a rate
which approximates the Bank of Canada rate and changes quarterly.
It is compounded daily.  It is paid either to you or by you at
the same rate.  When you get a refund, for example, interest is
calculated from the later of April 30 and the date on which you
actually filed your return.  Similarly, if you miscalculate and
end up owing more than you enclosed by cheque on April 30,
interest will apply at the same rate.  Hardly unfair.

David Sherman
--

In article <12872@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ebspencer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Bruce Spencer) writes:
>I pay tax by quarterly installments because I don't get enough deducted from
>source. There are two ways to calculate the installment - go by last
>year's earnings, or guess what you will be making. I'm a PhD student
>whose funds are dwindling so that this year I expect to make less than last.
>So I want to pay by my expected earnings for 1989. Ok so far.
>
>Here's the twist. If I get really industrious, finish up, and start
>earning real money, say, in September, I will end up not giving enough
>for my first three installment. RevCan wants the installments to be
>equal so I will owe interest, calculated at usurious rates, for the first
>installments.
>
>Or, in a few words, I'll owe income tax on income I hadn't earned yet!

Offsetting interest within the year is allowed.  So if you find
in September that you haven't been paying enough, you can make up
for it by paying your December instalment early.  To take a simple
example, if you pay 1/4 on March 31, skip June 30 entirely and
pay the remaining 3/4 on September 30 you'll have no interest owing --
the prepayment of the last quarter offsets the interest which
would apply on the late payment from the second quarter.

Whether the system you describe is unfair is hard to say.
Specifically, designing a system which doesn't penalize you
in the example you give would be difficult, without opening
up all sorts of tax avoidance possibilities.  The problem is
that income is fundamentally calculated on the year as a whole,
so the concept of "hadn't earned yet" which you raise is
nonexistent.  There's no distinction between a dollar earned
in January and a dollar earned in December.

Then again, if the reason you have to pay instalments is that
some or all of your income comes from self-employment, there
are all kinds of other possibilities open to you.  Consult a
tax professional.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish
{ uunet!attcan  att  utzoo }!lsuc!dave          dave%lsuc@ai.toronto.edu

In article <12872@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ebspencer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Bruce Spencer) writes:
>Or, in a few words, I'll owe income tax on income I hadn't earned yet!
>
>Yep, sounds fair to me.

Using the words "fair" and "tax" in the same article is inappropriate.
The government is not interested in being fair, it is interested in
extracting as much money as possible.  It finds the *appearance* of
fairness useful, in that this helps prevent the peasants from rising
in revolt, but one should not be surprised if this facade breaks down
in unusual situations.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (04/03/89)

In article <8903301453.AA07596@russell.csri.toronto.edu> clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) writes:

>The tax return isn't *that* complicated, and working through it
>-- and reading about the deductions other people can use but you can't --
>gives you a better idea about what's costing you and how you're doing
>relative to the rest of the world.

I haven't had a problem going through the tax return myself for about
20 years now, both my own, my spouse's, my parent's ....
What I again dread is that 3 weekend dead loss when I have to make about
47 phone calls to get the missing numbers, and wade through a minimum of
2 *feet* (oops, make that .5 meters!) of old bills and misc statements
just so that I can *begin* that relatively simple 1/2 hour task of
completing and verifying my return.

Perhaps (since Revenue Canada is all powerful) they might compel all
parties involved to simply email me the info automatically by the end
of February, and I could then spend a couple of hours hacking a little
script to shuffle it all for me.	:-) [at least 'till I dig the
paleozoic paper stack out!]		--ed	{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

>Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
>clarke@csri.toronto.edu     or    clarke@csri.utoronto.ca

  Ed. A. Hew        Technical Marketing Director        Xeni/Con Corporation
  UUCP@bus: ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew  Internet: edhew@xenicon.uucp
  UUCP@res: ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew    Internet: edhew@egvideo.uucp