[can.general] SLIP/streams module ?

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/17/89)

I heard a rumour that someone at UofT has built a SLIP driver
on top of streams for SVr3. Can anyone confirm this? Is the
code available outside of UofT?

larry@hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) (04/20/89)

In article <526@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@nexus.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>I heard a rumour that someone at UofT has built a SLIP driver
>on top of streams for SVr3. Can anyone confirm this? Is the
>code available outside of UofT?

As I mentioned in another group a month or so ago, Rayan did this for the
SUN under os 4.x which has a STREAMS based tty subsystem.  The sun does
not have STREAMS based TCP/IP, so further changes will be required to get
it working in a SVR3 system that uses that incarnation of TCP/IP.

Someday I mean to do this work myself, but if you are eager, you can get
Rayan's code by anonymous ftp from neat.ai.toronto.edu and go hack.  Actually
the distributed 4.3 code is probably closer to what you will need if your
SVR3 does not have a STREAMS tty subsystem.

BTW, if you do this before I do, please feel free to send me the code :-)

Larry Philps                             HCR Corporation
130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor           Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
(416) 922-1937                           {utzoo,utcsri,uunet}!hcr!larry

lyndon@aurora.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/21/89)

In article <338@hcr.UUCP>, larry@hcr (Larry Philps) writes:
>Someday I mean to do this work myself, but if you are eager, you can get
>Rayan's code by anonymous ftp from neat.ai.toronto.edu and go hack.  Actually
>the distributed 4.3 code is probably closer to what you will need if your
>SVR3 does not have a STREAMS tty subsystem.

I picked it up and, yes indeed, it's for SunOS 4.0.

>BTW, if you do this before I do, please feel free to send me the code :-)

Ya think so, eh?  We decided to wimp out and pick up a pair of fire sale
3/50's to run INR on instead of beating up the poor System V boxes :-)
(Something about "supported" software ...)