[net.music] Spin

allred@AMSAA.ARPA ( RAMD-STU ) (03/18/85)

Does anybody know anything about the new music(rock)
magazine that is coming out on March 23.  It is
a monthly called Spin.  All I know is they are planning
on showing what a terrible magazine Rolling Stone is.
It is supposed to deal with music and not the glamour
and politics developed by the pop stars.  Maybe this
is what we serious music fans are looking for?!?

jeff

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (03/20/85)

> Does anybody know anything about the new music(rock)
> magazine that is coming out on March 23.  It is
> a monthly called Spin.  All I know is they are planning
> on showing what a terrible magazine Rolling Stone is.
> It is supposed to deal with music and not the glamour
> and politics developed by the pop stars.  Maybe this
> is what we serious music fans are looking for?!?
>
> jeff

--guess again.  spin is correctly named, since it's an acutal
"spin-off" of rolling stone magazine.  an age-old trick to reel
in the bucks of the unsuspecting--try to appeal to those who abhor
the original rag.  as for me, i'll stay away from rotting stone and
any or all of its offspring, and use my funds to support the bands i
think are worthwhile by buying their records and attending their shows.

				so there.

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (03/20/85)

In article <> allred@AMSAA.ARPA ( RAMD-STU ) writes:
>Does anybody know anything about the new music(rock)
>magazine that is coming out on March 23.  It is
>a monthly called Spin.  All I know is they are planning
>on showing what a terrible magazine Rolling Stone is.

I do know that Bob Guccione is the publisher. That may mean
women on the cover. I hope it doesn't mean genitals inside.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (03/22/85)

> > Does anybody know anything about the new music(rock)
> > magazine that is coming out on March 23.  It is
> > a monthly called Spin.  All I know is they are planning
> > on showing what a terrible magazine Rolling Stone is.
> > It is supposed to deal with music and not the glamour
> > and politics developed by the pop stars.  Maybe this
> > is what we serious music fans are looking for?!?
> >
> > jeff
>
> --guess again.  spin is correctly named, since it's an acutal
> "spin-off" of rolling stone magazine.  an age-old trick to reel
> in the bucks of the unsuspecting--try to appeal to those who abhor

SPIN is a new production by the son of Bob Guccione (promulgator of
"Penthouse" and Omni"). Rumour has it that the junior Guccione was
not considered bright enough to do anything better. The first issue
features an interview with Madonna (who is on the cover), a 1983
interview with U2 that they are trying to pass of as recent, and a fun
piece about the 10 best drive-in movies of all time by Joe Bob Briggs.

--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (03/27/85)

> > > Does anybody know anything about the new music(rock)
> > > magazine that is coming out on March 23.  It is
> > > a monthly called Spin.  All I know is they are planning
> > > on showing what a terrible magazine Rolling Stone is.
> > > jeff
> >
> > --guess again.  spin is correctly named, since it's an acutal
> > "spin-off" of rolling stone magazine.  an age-old trick to reel
> > in the bucks of the unsuspecting--try to appeal to those who abhor
>
> SPIN is a new production by the son of Bob Guccione (promulgator of
> "Penthouse" and Omni"). Rumour has it that the junior Guccione was
> not considered bright enough to do anything better. The first issue
> features an interview with Madonna (who is on the cover), a 1983
> interview with U2 that they are trying to pass of as recent, and a fun
> piece about the 10 best drive-in movies of all time by Joe Bob Briggs.
> jcpatilla

------whoops, sorry.  crossed wires on that rotting stone spin-off rumor.
	actually, i stole a copy and it isn't as bad as it could be.
	includes a great replacements pic with a vapid article on them
	and the del fuegos.   much back-patting in the intro--we're
	supposed to agree how cool the whole staff is.  retch.  keep
	buying your favorite fanzines for what's really going on.

     >								         <
     >                                     --Shirley                     <
     >                                     ihnp4!cbosgd!sbt              <
     >                                     Bell Labs, Columbus, OH       <
     >                                                                   <
     >         "I'm looking for the joke with a microscope. . "          <
     >                                                                   <

rpk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Robert Krajewski) (03/27/85)

Spin might actually turn out to be a good magazine, if the writers learn to
control themselves.  It looks like it's trying to be a hipper Creem with
more emphasis on the independent scene and less on heavy metal (the only
article on a heavy metal band is about Stryper).  The only writers I
recognised from other mags were Joe Bob and James Truman, who writes for
the Face.

Summary of contents:

	Madonna interview: Very lightweight (what did you expect ?)
	Bono (u2) interview: Pretty good, but it may not be that recent.
	Small features on John Trubee and the Ugly Janitors of AMerica,
		breakdancing in Java, and jabs at certain people (``So
		What'').
	James Truman interviews Bryan Ferry and muses on Roxy Music.  The
		best article.
	Record reviews: New Velvet Underground, Los Lobos, Richard
		Thompson, Linda Thompson, Andreas Vollwender, Husker Du.

I'd say pick up it, it's entertaining.  However, the writers have this
tendency to fly off the handle when writing about something they care for,
in an effort to be wilder and woolier than Rolling Stone, their
whipping-boy.

Give it a few months -- maybe Bob Guccione Jr. will turn out to be more
respectable in the publishing business than his father !
--
``Bob'' (Robert P. Krajewski)
ARPA:		RpK@MC        MIT Local:	RpK@OZ

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (03/27/85)

I went and checked the first copy of the magazine out, and would have
to say that it's a mixed bag. The initial thing about it that strikes you
is that there's a either a lack of focus (which I wouldn't mind *all* that
much), or a lack of editorial cohesion. So far, the pros outweigh the cons.
Give it time. Here are some nice things about it:

PRO:
A *nice* roster of writers...or at least interesting. We get a great review
by Mick Farren, whose brand of journalism (in Trouser Press of old) was one
of my favorite periodical workouts-he's a bit like Simon "Youth, Leisure,
and the Politics of Rock and Roll" Frith, but he *knows* more music than
Marxist analysis. Robert Fripp contributes an intriguing but ultimately
disassociative piece on guitars. And they got Andrea 'Nthal to do their
underground/indie stuff. A'N is one of THE most knowledgeable folks in the
field, having run programming at one of the first indie college stations
in the country. You get to sit through a fiew things you've *never* heard
of...always a plus.

They also got John Schaefer, who runs a decent, non-wimpy alternative
music program on WNYC in New York. He can write about experimental music
without sounding cosmic or otherwise inarticulately imcapacitated.

CAVEAT:they appear to have stitched together and copped a few articles from British
sources (a rehash of a 3 month old NME article by NME staff guy Barney Hoskins
on Bronski Beat), and a positively primitive U2 interview with Bono Vox. It
*isn't* bad because it doesn't cover the latest album, though....merely because
it doesn't cover ANY different ground, or cover any ground DIFFERENTLY. One
hopes they will change this.

Oh, yeah, forgot.
Some decent attention is paid to HuskerDu BHSrfrs, etc...even if it
is in the underground section.

Nice article on doom and gloom.

Nice article on Fela Anikulapo Kuti's trials and music.

CON:
I get the very definite impression that the magazine is interesting precisely
BECAUSE the editorial criteria aren't firmly placed, and that it will get
boring once they get on their feet. Guccione Jr. comes across as a real twit
on the "slap ourselves on the back" editorial page. I don't hold out much
hope for him (no genitals in the publication, though).