[can.general] American media in Canada

cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (06/27/89)

In article x clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>On the other hand, one might say TIME is simply trying to sell its magazines.
>As does MacLeans.  The fact that TIME came out with a Canadianized (though,
>perhaps not most wonderful thing) version .. is credit to them.
>
>Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.

Actually, I think it's just business.

It USED to be that Time was the sole exception to the magazine rules that
stated that if you were Canadian, you got reduced postal rates. Time Inc
managed to create itself a loophole with the "Canada" section right up front.

Some time in the late seventies, the whining about this exceptional case got
to the Feds, so they deleted the loophole. In response, Time started shipping
the US version and closed its Canada office. Time figured that since they
weren't getting preferential rates, they needn't pay the expense of the
big office in Toronto (or wherever).

However, you'll probably notice now that the ads in Time vary province by
province. My Alberta Time is different from my Father's Ontario Time.
Interesting.
--
Chris Shaw    cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (or via watmath or ubc-vision)
University of Alberta