[can.general] Ladybugs

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (06/19/89)

My garden has a serious aphid problem, so I'd like to saturate it with
ladybugs.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any Canadian source.  Before
moving to Canada, I used to know of several sources in the US, but I'm
not sure what Canadian customs (and immigration? :-) would think about
my transporting live insects into the country, even friendly ones.

So if anyone out there knows of a source for live ladybugs anywhere in
Canada (and, preferably, somewhere close to Toronto, though this isn't
crucial), I'd appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (06/20/89)

In article <272@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>So if anyone out there knows of a source for live ladybugs anywhere in
>Canada (and, preferably, somewhere close to Toronto, though this isn't
>crucial), I'd appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.
Contact Richter's Gardens in Goodwood, Ontario. They sell different
beneficial insects. I don't know the number offhand but any good
nursery in Toronto should know. Richter's has one of the largest
selection of herbs in Ontario (most nurseries in Ont. stock Richter's
herbs)

Anthony
//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////
"I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" -U2

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (06/26/89)

[ hey, that's me! ] writes:

>    if anyone out there knows of a source for live ladybugs
>  [ ... ]  I'd appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.

Since I received a couple requests to post any information I got, here's the
latest on the ladybug scene ...

I got two replies (one posted by Anthony Scian <afscian@violet.waterloo.edu>,
and one via e-mail from Barbara Brunson <barb@ai.toronto.edu>; thanks, folks!),
both pointing me to Richter's Gardens in Goodwood (416/640-6677).  Their price
is $20 for a half-pint (approximately 4500 ladybugs), or $100 for a gallon.

I phoned my order in last Wednesday, and it arrived the following afternoon.
They even pay shipping.  I've put out half of the little critters, and they're
now happily munching away at my aphids.

pdbain@bnr-public.uucp (Peter Bain) (06/27/89)

In article <276@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>Since I received a couple requests to post any information I got, here's the
>latest on the ladybug scene ...
>
>I phoned my order in last Wednesday, and it arrived the following afternoon.
>They even pay shipping.  I've put out half of the little critters, and they're
>now happily munching away at my aphids.

How did they arrive? By air? :-)
    -peter