[can.general] Phone rates falling!

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/24/89)

Don't know if it makes a huge difference to anyone but it seems that long
distance phone rates are coming down a little faster for intra provincial
calls than for international calls.

The last time I checked it was cheaper to call anywhere in the US from BC
than anywhere in Canada outside of BC. And it was cheaper to call anywhere
in Washington state than anywhere in BC.

The progression was.

	WA < BC < US < Canada

The progression is now:

	BC < WA < AL < US < Canada

This seems to make a lot more sense than the previous billing rates.

Also in BC you can get an offerring called Teleplus which allow you to
purchase a 15% discount for the first $100 of long distance charges for $4,
or the first $400 for $10.

So anyone in BC or Alberta who has been getting news or mail from the US
might want to check if they can get a less expensive feed from up here.

Long distance plus Trailblazers seems to be getting cheaper all the time!
Does anyone know if X.25 rates are coming down? Or X.25 international rates?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/27/89)

In article <153@unifax.UUCP> sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>Long distance plus Trailblazers seems to be getting cheaper all the time!
>Does anyone know if X.25 rates are coming down? Or X.25 international rates?

Datapac at any rate is getting more expensive, the CRTC has ordered Bell to
hike the prices of a whole range of data services, Datapac included, to ensure
that they paid for themselves, the CRTC is very emphatic that charges for local
exchange service should not be used to subsidize any of Bell's other services.

I'm just filing the relevant tarriff updates now and have'nt seen the new
Datapac rates yet but inet2000 has gone up 40% (inet text features used to cost
$6.00/hr now it's $8.40) if that's any indication.
--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

That's a joke.  Datapac rates rising!  While they were not bad 10 years
ago, today they are a joke.

In the USA, the cost of long distance data links 9600 bps and under had
fallen by a factor of TEN in the last few years.  In Canada it has gone
up.  The US x.25 companies like Telenet & Tymnet all now sell off their
off-peak time for peanuts -- $1/hour in quanity.  This has caused a
whole new industry in consumer computing to spring up.

The cost for high-speed links in the US is reportedly much lower, too.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (06/28/89)

In article <153@unifax.UUCP>, sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

> Long distance plus Trailblazers seems to be getting cheaper all the time!

I go through my phone bill carefully, to pick out the uucp related calls
(oh what I would give for a dedicated modem line :-), and I noticed a
very strange occurance. On 05/13/89 the phone rate (after midnight)
from Regina to Toronto went from .33/min to .37/min and from Regina to
Edmonton went from .31/min to .33/min. The rates stayed like that until
05/17/89 when they went back to what they were before. Can any one
out there explain this? It's got me curious.

-stacy

--
"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a women?" - Gene Wilder _See No Evil Hear No Evil_

S. L. Millions            Millions Computing Ltd.            tmsoft!mcl!stacy