[can.general] Canadian commercials on US radio and tv stations

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (06/23/89)

In article <1989Jun21.200421.9494@mdivax1.uucp>, theriaul@mdivax1.uucp (Roger
Theriault) writes:

> Revenue Canada keeps Molsons (for example) from  placing ads in US magazines
                 ^^^^^
> DIRECTED AT CANADIANS or in US border TV stations

Is this term used loosely, ie do you mean discouraged or what, as I have seen
numerous commercials for Molsons beer on WKBD-TV, channel 50, Detroit , MI.

And the municipalities (well maybe just Metropolitan Toronto)
and provincial governments and federal governments all advertize on US
radio and TV stations.

               Greg Miller

brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (06/23/89)

In article <2365@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
>In article <1989Jun21.200421.9494@mdivax1.uucp>, theriaul@mdivax1.uucp (Roger
>Theriault) writes:
>
>> Revenue Canada keeps Molsons (for example) from  placing ads in US magazines
>                 ^^^^^
>> DIRECTED AT CANADIANS or in US border TV stations
>
>And the municipalities (well maybe just Metropolitan Toronto)
>and provincial governments and federal governments all advertize on US
>radio and TV stations.
>               Greg Miller

A little while ago, I was watching television when I noticed an advertisement
for the Canadian Arthritis Society, followed by an advertisement for the
Canadian Hemophiliacs Society and then an AIDS prevention public service
announcement sponsered by the Ontario Ministry of Health.  Then I clued
in; this was *NOT* the CBC I was watching; it was CNN.

Since that time, I've taken particular note of distinctly Canadian advertising
on this and other US networks.  Some of it is made up of tourist ads obviously
aimed at Americans planning their vacation (and very good ads too, I thought,
from Ontario, B.C. and the Federal Government), but a surprising number were
public service messages aimed directly at the Canadian public.  Interesting.

Just another piece of Cantrivia...

Brian A. Jarvis

   __                         __	Brian A. Jarvis,
  /  )  ...jtsv16!brian      /  )	J.T.S. Computer Systems Ltd.,
 /--<  __  o __.  ____      /--/	Downsview, Ontario
/___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, still says "Hi!"

"Lord, defend me from my friends; I can account for my enemies." - D'Hericault

theriaul@mdivax1.uucp (Roger Theriault) (06/24/89)

In article <2365@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
> [you (Roger Theriault) write:]
>
>> Revenue Canada keeps Molsons (for example) from  placing ads in US magazines
>                 ^^^^^
>> DIRECTED AT CANADIANS or in US border TV stations
>
>Is this term used loosely, ie do you mean discouraged or what, as I have seen
>numerous commercials for Molsons beer on WKBD-TV, channel 50, Detroit , MI.
>
>And the municipalities (well maybe just Metropolitan Toronto)
>and provincial governments and federal governments all advertize on US
>radio and TV stations.

I was certainly using the term loosely.  What I meant was that anybody is
free to advertise in the U.S. (or anywhere else), but that tax writeoffs
for advertising not placed in Canadian magazines (including any Canadian-
published mag with enough circulation) or not placed with Canadian
broadcasters do not get the same treatment Canadian-placed ads would.

I have seen ads on a Washington State TV station that seemed to ONLY be
aimed at Vancouver; however, this station is a small border station
whose viewing audience is primarily Canadian.  I presume they charge
much less for air time (most of their programming is low-cost movies,
very few series) and still make money.  Of course the reduced cost to
advertise makes up for the disadvantage of not getting tax savings, and
so the advertisers (mostly local Vancouver businesses rather than national
contracts) are quite happy.

I suspect WKBD is an independent station as well.

I don't know too much about Revenue Canada's treatment in regard to this
topic, but I do know it is different.  Perhaps someone can elaborate on
their policies.  (Actually, Greg, doesn't Western have a journalism/mass comm
program?)

Roger Theriault
--
Roger Theriault
Internet: theriaul@mdivax1.uucp   UUCP: uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!mdivax1!theriaul

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/26/89)

In article <2365@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
>In article <1989Jun21.200421.9494@mdivax1.uucp>, theriaul@mdivax1.uucp (Roger
>Theriault) writes:
>
>> Revenue Canada keeps Molsons (for example) from  placing ads in US magazines
>                 ^^^^^

Should actually say, "makes it unattractive from a tax point of view"

>> DIRECTED AT CANADIANS or in US border TV stations
>
>Is this term used loosely, ie do you mean discouraged or what, as I have seen
>numerous commercials for Molsons beer on WKBD-TV, channel 50, Detroit , MI.
>
>And the municipalities (well maybe just Metropolitan Toronto)
>and provincial governments and federal governments all advertize on US
>radio and TV stations.

But these are supposedly aimed at American viewers, Molson's sells a lot of
beer to our American neighbours, I don't know how true this is but I've been
told that the Molson's plant here on Fleet Street brews exclusively for
the US export market and Molson's supplies the Toronto Market out of the Barrie
plant.

A better example of the kind of thing they're trying to pressure against is
companies which do not sell to the US at all advertising on US border stations,
a number of Toronto businesses advertise on WUTV from Grand Island, New York
because it's cheap. US TV is less regulated than ours so they have an unfair
advantage over Canadian stations (WUTV is a good example of this, they have
no news, no community affairs programming, and loads of paid programming).
--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/28/89)

In article <422@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:

>A better example of the kind of thing they're trying to pressure against is
>companies which do not sell to the US at all advertising on US border stations,
>a number of Toronto businesses advertise on WUTV from Grand Island, New York
>because it's cheap. US TV is less regulated than ours so they have an unfair
>advantage over Canadian stations (WUTV is a good example of this, they have
>no news, no community affairs programming, and loads of paid programming).

On KCTS from Bellingham it's almost rare to see add's that *ARE NOT*
directed to Canadian viewers.

KCTS runs old syndicated shows, lost of movies etc.

There's even a fair amount of BC Government advertising (directed of course
to people in BC).

Bellingham is a small community about thirty miles south of the border with
a population of perhaps 50,000. It makes a lot of sense for KCTS to seek
advertising revenue for their much large audience in the lower mainland (say
about 2 million).

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (06/28/89)

In article <155@van-bc.UUCP> sl@.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>On KCTS from Bellingham it's almost rare to see add's that *ARE NOT*
>directed to Canadian viewers.
>
>KCTS runs old syndicated shows, lost of movies etc.

Oops! Stuart gives the call letters wrong. He's speaking of KVOS-12
(KCTS-9 is the Seattle PBS affiliate). KVOS is also the only
commercial station in North America running `Doctor Who' (KCTS is one
of the few PBS stations which refuses to run it, on the grounds that
the program director doesn't like it. But that's another newsgroup).

KVOS maintains offices in both Bellingham and Vancouver, and in many
ways acts as a Canadian station. On the other hand, it is not
regulated by the CRTC, but by the FCC. Its responsibilities about
content are American ones, rather than Canadian. Although it was once
a CBS affiliate in Bellingham (back when there wasn't much in the way
of cable, so KIRO-7 Seattle wasn't the competition) it has long since
targeted its audience in the Lower Mainland. If that audience did not
exist, KVOS would have a much harder row to hoe.

I violently object to any form of censorship (which is how such things
as tax advantages are sometimes presented). Still, encouraging
Canadian advertisers to use Canadian media strikes me as a reasonable
response to the fact that the FCC's regulation is quite a bit looser
(if that can be imagined) than the CRTC's.
____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
____ \  ____  Department of Computer Science   | manis%cs.ubc@relay.cs.net
___  /\  ___  University of British Columbia   | uunet!ubc-cs!manis
__  /  \  __  Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5    | (604) 228-2394
_  / __ \  _  "There is no law that vulgarity and literary excellence cannot
____________   coexist."               -- A. Trevor Hodge

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/29/89)

In article <2360@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) writes:
>In article <155@van-bc.UUCP> sl@.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>On KCTS from Bellingham it's almost rare to see add's that *ARE NOT*
>>directed to Canadian viewers.
>>
>>KCTS runs old syndicated shows, lost of movies etc.

>Oops! Stuart gives the call letters wrong. He's speaking of KVOS-12
>(KCTS-9 is the Seattle PBS affiliate). KVOS is also the only
>commercial station in North America running `Doctor Who' (KCTS is one
>of the few PBS stations which refuses to run it, on the grounds that
>the program director doesn't like it. But that's another newsgroup).

Keyboard in mouth syndrome again.

Shows how much TV I watch.

Yes indeed, KVOS was what I was talking about. KCTS is the PBS station in
Seatle (which we do watch quite a bit).

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)