[can.general] No more bleached kraft pulp mills

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (07/01/89)

The north half of the Province of Alberta is facing a massive instrusion
of pulp mills, some bleached kraft, some CTMP (Chemi-Thermo-Mechanical-Pulp),
and a giveaway of the forest resources from an area twice the size of
New Brunswick to foreign-owned companies.  Five of these mills will be
on the Athabasca river, 2 currently operating, one approved and being built,
2 more proposed.

The one near the town of Athabasca will be the "world's largest single line
pulp mill in the world", and will use the chlorine-bleached kraft
technology.  When we first heard rumors of this in the summer of 1988, we
formed an association, "Friends of the Athabasca Environmental Association"
to try to prevent a bleached kraft mill from going in.  The provincial
government, however, gave an "approval in principle" to the company to
go ahead before an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) had been even started.
The company, Alberta-Pacific (32% owned by Honshu Paper, and 32% by
Mistubishi), has done an EIA, but it is woefully inadequate.

We are trying to promote the idea that NO MORE BLEACHED KRAFT MILLS
should be authorised anywhere in the world.  The process produces over
300 (known) persistent organochlorines which end up in the receiving
waters, in the air, or in the landfill.  There are pulping processes such
as the CTMP, or the Organosolv which do not use the kraft process, and
do not require chlorine to bleach.  They can use hydrogen peroxide to
whiten the pulp and hence cannot produce organochlorine compounds.

We would appreciate anyone from anywhere in the world writing to our
newly appointed Minister of the Environment pointing out that no
newly licensed plants should release persistent organochlorines
into the WORLD's environment.  Emphasize that the environment is
everybody's, not just the Province of Alberta's.  Please use the
following address:

	Hon. Ralph Klein
	Minister of the Environment
	Room 130 Legislature Bldg.
	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
	T5K 2B6

Is there anyone from Japan listening?  Does anyone know the address of
any environmental groups in Japan?

Louis Schmittroth, President
Friends of the Athabasca
Box 1351
Athabasca, Alberta, Canada
T0B 0B0

charlesv@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Charles van Duren) (07/04/89)

In article <659@aurora.AthabascaU.CA>, louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:

> The north half of the Province of Alberta is facing a massive instrusion
> of pulp mills, some bleached kraft, some CTMP (Chemi-Thermo-Mechanical-Pulp),
> and a giveaway of the forest resources from an area twice the size of
> New Brunswick to foreign-owned companies.  Five of these mills will be
> on the Athabasca river, 2 currently operating, one approved and being built,
> 2 more proposed.

The more I follow the environment, particularly Northern Alberta pulp mill,
debate, the more I get the impression that Don Getty wants the development
as a memorial to his tenure as premier. Peter Lougheed got his provincial
park. Don Getty (and the rest of us) will end up with the Don Getty Memorial
Industrial Sewer (formerly known as the Athabasca River). Unless, of course,
the Alberta government can be brought to its senses.

The threat from the local politicians and ALPAC (the developing company) right
now is that further delays (read environmental objections and due process) may
cause abandonment of the Athabasca process. I doubt it. If they want the forest,
they will accept reasonable conditions.  The developing companies must have
been overwhelmed by their good fortune of running into a provincial government
literally willing to give away the family farm, and throw in a few hundred
millions of $$$$s to boot.

There are, of course, economic development objectives, but they need not subject
our environment to this kind of massive assault. The Friends of the Athabasca
have done a great deal to bring the long-term environmental costs of economic
development to the public's attention. Whether they will be successful in
altering the nature of the development remains to be seen. The politicians have
a great deal at stake.

Charles van Duren