[can.general] Canada Day - Observance

TMCLELLA@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tim Mclellan) (07/06/89)

If I may, I would like to offer you my observation of the Canada Day
weekend.

Saturday, July 1  Canada Day  felt no more a special day than any other
Saturday.  The only notable difference I found during the day was that
we expected most downtown stores to be closed, and so spent our shopping
time at other malls - but not WEM :-{)

I realize that a celebration is what you make it.  That's not my concern.
My concern is that the DAY was no different than any other day.

Then came Monday.  A holiday, in lieu of Canada Day falling on a
Saturday.  But the whole point of Monday being a holiday had been
forgotten.  After all, the celebrating took place on Saturday.  Or
was that the post shopping sales parties?  I can't remember now.

Anyway, if most stores can at least close on Easter and Christmas, would
it be asking too much to have one more day added to the very short list -
Canada Day.

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (07/06/89)

In article <615662921.9256@myrias.uucp> dbf@myrias.uucp (David Ferrier) writes:
>This year most Edmonton business, civil service, and crown corporation
>management elected to observe Canada Day on Monday, July 3. Stores,
>restaurants, and municipal and provincial government offices were
>closed, and there was no mail delivery.

Alberta must have different rules than Ontario. Here in Ottawa, everything was
closed on Saturday, July 1. On July 3, establishments that are normally open on
Saturday were open, and offices, which are normally closed on Saturday, were
closed. Restaurants are always open. Banks and government always close for
the maximum number of days (i.e. both days).

>The Canada Day holiday is supposed to be observed, and is
>legally a statutory holiday, only on the day it falls.

Well, the rule should be that if Canada Day falls on a working day (for you),
then you get it off, otherwise, you get the next work day off.
--
Godfrey Lee                                            P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                                    3755 Riverside Dr.