[can.general] Canada Day - Observance: Who cares!

tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca (Michel Tremblay) (07/19/89)

In article <568@UALTAVM.BITNET> TMCLELLA@UALTAVM.BITNET writes:
>Saturday, July 1  Canada Day  felt no more a special day than any other
>Saturday.  The only notable difference I found during the day was that
>we expected most downtown stores to be closed, and so spent our shopping
>time at other malls - but not WEM :-{)
>Anyway, if most stores can at least close on Easter and Christmas, would
>it be asking too much to have one more day added to the very short list -
>Canada Day.
I think you are asking too much if you want to make this a Nation Wide
rule. Please keep in mind that most people in Que'bec dont really care
about Canada (Day). It's a non-working day for most people. Isnt'it was
counts?

From  Michel J. Tremblay at :

Phone		: +1 514 744 8200 ext. 2416
Snail Mail	: Philips Electronique, Inc.
		  600 Boulevard Dr. Frederic Philips
		  St-Laurent, Quebec
		  Canada H4M 2S9
Email		: tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca

Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner !

flint@me.utoronto.ca (Kenneth Flint) (07/19/89)

In article <604@philmtl.philips.ca> tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca (Michel Tremblay) writes:
>Please keep in mind that most people in Que'bec dont really care
>about Canada (Day).

If this statement is true, then I guess I shouldn't have been surprised
by the Gallop poll released this week that stated the majority of
english speaking Canada believes it is Que'bec's goal to separate from
the country.

In my opinion we would be losing a vibrant part of our culture.

--
Kenneth Flint	flint@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!flint
		flint@me.utoronto.ca