[can.general] Unix Review changes policy

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (07/19/89)

I just received a call from Unix Review. They have decided to change their
policy on Canadian subscribers. For qualified subscribers there will now be
about a $20 US per year fee. This covers their additional mailing and handling
costs.

I got the feeling that if we could get the Canadian subscription base a
little higher that we could get that fee reduced a bit more. Part of the fee
is to cover the overhead of sorting out the *small* number of canadian
subscriptions for processing.

Currently they have a subscriber base of about 50,000, 1500 of which are in
Canada.

Anyhow, it looks like Unix Review is open to suggestions and is willing to
change their policies to encourage us to read their magazine. I'm looking
forward to renewing my subscription under this new policy.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/19/89)

>[ ... ]  Part of the fee
>is to cover the overhead of sorting out the *small* number of canadian

Can you say "COMPUTER?"

Can you say "COUNTRY CODE?"

I didn't think so ...

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/20/89)

In article <193@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>  Part of the fee
>is to cover the overhead of sorting out the *small* number of canadian
>subscriptions for processing.

Gee, I always thought the Post Office did that.  ;-)

We subscribe to several relatively small circulation magazines that'll
accept subscription fees of *exactly* the same amount as the US subscription
cost.  All they do is put "Canada" on the mailing label.

[Probably some basic weenie forgot to put "Country" in the subscriber
database.]
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (07/22/89)

In article <1989Jul20.153529.11737@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <193@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>  Part of the fee
>>is to cover the overhead of sorting out the *small* number of canadian
>>subscriptions for processing.
>
>Gee, I always thought the Post Office did that.  ;-)

Certainly they do. If you want to send it first class mail!

Magazines and other bulk mail users give their stuff to the Post Office
pre-sorted. The post office is very quick to penalize you if you don't. And
in the case of an american magazine sending into Canada they must be in
separate bundles because of the different postal rate.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (07/24/89)

In article <196@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <1989Jul20.153529.11737@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>>Gee, I always thought the Post Office did that.  ;-)
>
>Certainly they do. If you want to send it first class mail!
>
>Magazines and other bulk mail users give their stuff to the Post Office
>pre-sorted. The post office is very quick to penalize you if you don't. And
>in the case of an american magazine sending into Canada they must be in
>separate bundles because of the different postal rate.

=====microsnip=====
:
grep -yn 'CAN' mailfile | {awk script to get std 5 lines}| lp -dlabel_printer
banner Canadian mail_BAG!! > /dev/tty??
=====microsnip=====

Somebody'll have to write the awk script (I'll read the awk man page
someday).  Now that's a tough one, isn't it?

The point being, I suspect the cost of doing so is some what less than
(let me try to remember that $20/annum CDN surcharge...), $20*1500.

		--ed		{edhew@xenitec.uucp}
				{edhew@egvideo.uucp until new maps hit}
>--
>Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

  Ed. A. Hew             Technical Trainer             Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (07/25/89)

In article <1989Jul24.061845.2671@xenitec.uucp> edhew@xenitec.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:

>The point being, I suspect the cost of doing so is some what less than
>(let me try to remember that $20/annum CDN surcharge...), $20*1500.

Yes, probably less than $8 too. That being what's left after the $12 they
pay in extra postage for mail to Canada (their figures, I'm quoting, I find
it a tad hard too believe too).

Anyhow flaming away here isn't going to get you anywhere. Give UW a call and
gripe.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)