[can.general] Canada: one or many cultures?

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (07/27/89)

In article <1989Jul24.220904.22318@tmsoft.uucp> ead@tmsoft.UUCP (Elizabeth Doucette) writes:

>Canada is a multi-cultural country.  There should be French, English,
>Ukrainian, etc. schools where there is a need.  But we are still
>Canadian first.  I do not think that all government services should be
>French/English bilingual, and I prefer my French ancestry.  There are
>not French speaking people everywhere.  Just because they might visit
>that place, so what!  What do they do in England?  I like going to
>Amsterdam, for example and learning a few words in Dutch.  I like
>going to Western Canada (or some of my friends in Toronto) and
>learning a few words in other languages.  But English is the
>international language.  I am not married to English.  I don't care if
>someone invents a language and the whole world adopts it.  But at the
>moment, English is used most frequently in North America and parts of
>Europe and other parts of the world.  If you don't like Canada, leave.

I must agree with your multicultural sentiments.   They (IMHO) convey
in aggregate much more weight today than the BNA (British North America)
Act does at this same time.  The "bilingual" heritage was something
legislated well over a century ago, and may reflect the aspirations of
a minority culture in the Canada of the mid-1800's, but totally ignores
the reality of the many large groups of immigrants since.  The major
difference appears to be the extent to which one particular minority group
dominates the sphere of political clout and media rhetoric.

>I'm all for trying to make a country better.  I always try to be a
>better person.  But it is necessary to appreciate what you have, first.

Ah, that's certainly one of the problems.  One of the reasons that other
minority groups don't engage in "ban English" provincial laws may just
be that they recognize that it is expedient for them to accept English
as part of their dues for that "better life".  Many in Quebec (according
to media reports) would prefer to reject these advantages, in the belief
that they would be showered on them by some magical means in the future....

.... I recently heard on a talk show (unverifiable), that something like
26% of Quebec residents would like to secceed (sp?) from Canada and join
the U.S.  I imagine the Americans will be most tolerent of Quebec language
laws while pouring the money in, now won't they?	:-)	--ed

  Ed. A. Hew             Technical Trainer             Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!