[can.general] Canada: Minority rights - CORRECTION

ead@tmsoft.uucp (Elizabeth Doucette) (08/03/89)

In article <632@philmtl.philips.ca> tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca (Michel J. Tremblay) writes:
>Many individuals on the net are claiming that rights are denied
>to minorities in Que'bec. This is false.
>According to D'Iberville-Fortier, Federal Official Languages Commisionner,
>Keit Speicer, former Federal Official Language Commisionner, and of
>Brian Mulroney, Que'bec is the province where the minorities are best
>treated.

Not true.  Immigrants in Toronto can choose to send their children to
French or English schools.  This is true in Ottawa as well.  In
smaller communities I think it depends on the demand.  In Quebec,
at least one of the parents must be educated in English, or your
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
**   "parents must have been educated in Quebec, in English".    **
**    If you were educated in English, in Ontario, your children **
**    are not allowed to attend English school in Quebec.        **

children are not allowed to attend English schools.  This is true even
if you were born in Canada.  This is not only directed at immigrants.
There may be an exception, if your company transfers you to Quebec,
but I'm not positive about this.

> Anglophones in Que'bec (less that 5%) had, have and will keep
>full control over their schools and Universities. Can we say the same
>about Francophones in other provinces?.

Yes, Ontario and New Brunswick.  Although in New Brunswick the french
are now about 40%.

>                                      Anywhere in Canada, minorities
>should be respected, not only in Que'bec.

We agree that minorites should be respected.

>One note about immigrants in Que'bec is reqired here.
>Immigrants in Que'bec  FREELY
>chose to join the English speaking or the French speaking community.
>Their choice is usually influenced by their cultural background.
>They have access  French/English courses.

They are not free to educate their children in English.  Yes they can
``join'' whatever community they prefer.  I would be VERY concerned if
the Quebec government tried to tell people where they could and could
not live.  If by ``access to French/English courses'' you mean,
French/English as a second language, I cannot comment on this.  But
this is NOT the same as free choice to send children to whatever
school the parent chooses.

>Michel J. Tremblay,
>tremblay@ca.philips.philmtl  or uunet!philmtl!tremblay
>
>La patience a ses limites...