the land is theirs have joined environmentalists to try and preserve the
woods.
  "We're on stand-by," Walter David, a worker in the Mohawk band office,
said Saturday.  "Our people are willing to lay down in front of the
bulldozers and be arrested and re-arrested until this damn thing is
settled.
  But Oka Mayor Jean Oullette says the town bought the land this year
for $90,000 from a developer and will lease it to the Oka Golf Club.

                  ... The Toronto Star, Monday, July 31, 1989

I would sincerely doubt that the Canadian Press has given release for
these articles to be distributed.  I strongly suspect they are copyrighted.

Do not use USENET for information piracy on this scale.  Keep to short,
attributed excerpts or write your own report.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (08/06/89)

In article <3938@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>I would sincerely doubt that the Canadian Press has given release for
>these articles to be distributed.  I strongly suspect they are copyrighted.

Big bloody deal. One lousy article, out of all the megabytes generated
daily by CP (actually, mostly just ripped off from member newspapers
and re-written). I'm sure their accountants are at this moment
counting all the revenue they've lost because of this posting...

Or is it Brad who is worried? As one who has chosen to sell newswire
services using Usenet mechanisms, I guess he now feels he has to be
the net's newswire copyright watchdog. Sigh.

>Do not use USENET for information piracy on this scale.

On this scale? Hah! You should submit that one to your joke group, Brad.

News gathering bodies, some of which may not be members of CP, routinely
rip each other off in massive amounts daily. Restaurants and producers of
entertainment prominently post favourable reviews without getting
permission all the time. (One of mine, written a dozen years ago, still
sits in the front window of the downtown Toronto Yuk Yuk's. Neither I nor
my paper was asked for permission. Neither cared.)

And, most importantly, political action groups have been known to
spread news reports about themselves as widely as possible to generate
credibility and/or interest in their cause.

I'll take a giant leap here and suggest that the posting was made to
alert people of this issue who had not seen it in their local CP-member
paper (or, whose local CP-member paper chose to kill or bury the story).

This level of 'piracy' as you call it, legal or not, has been tolerated by
the press for decades if not centuries. The only journal I know of which
actively enforces its copyright is Consumers Reports, and it hasn't
always been successful.

>Keep to short,
>attributed excerpts or write your own report.

...or buy Clarinet, eh?

Sheesh.

--
  Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / Director & editor, /usr/group/cdn

ClariNet has only a marginal amount to do with it.  I have made my
living from selling information for over a decade.  I have sent
such notes whenever I have seen people pirate information, the
recent one is just one example.

It's hard to figure out which is worse -- your glib, "everybody does
it" defense, or your accusation that I post such material out of greed.

To clear your mind on the latter, I don't sell CP -- they want too much
money for the smaller market that I can sell it to.  Of course, by your
theory, I should go get it and sell it anyway, without paying, because
"everybody does it."

Indeed, newspapers do scalp stories from other papers -- rewriting them.
Any paper that took a wire item verbatim without paying for it would
hear pretty quickly from the wireservice.   Posting a clipping from a
newspaper on the wall of a restaurant isn't against the will of the
paper, as far as I know, either.

It's not as though I am unaware of the amount of information theft that
goes on.  But the audacity to defend it as an OK thing bothers me far
more.

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473