[can.general] Canada -- One or two cultures

lesperan@ai.toronto.edu (Yves Lesperance) (08/04/89)

I don't know if a rational discussion on this topic can be held in this
forum, but let me try...

First, one should try to keep the issue of regional alienation and lack of
influence separate from that of linguistic policies.  Failure to devise
an adequate constitutional agreement between Quebec and the rest of the
country that includes adequate linguistic provisions will not aleviate
alienation in the western and atlantic provinces, it will only break up
the country and leave Ontario as dominant as ever.  Let proposals
to resolve that problem be discussed independently (say under regional
representation).

Portions of Bill 101, 158, and various provisions of the Meech Lake Accord
have been largely viewed in English Canada as arbitrary restrictions on
individual rights.  What need to be recognized in Canadian political
culture, are the rights of linguistic communities.  Both communities
associated with Canada's official languages currently have some geographical
area where it is possible to largely lead one's public as well as private life
in that official language.  Each linguistic community is large enough to
generate a lively cultural environment.  It should be part of the Canadian
raison d'etre that this state of affairs should continue in the future.
But the situation of each community in this respect is widely different.
Assimilation has decimated the French community throughout the course of
Canadian history.  Immigrants come to Canada looking largely for a less
imperialistic version of the American way of life and culture.  Unless
they speak French before they arrive, they will chose to integrate into
the English community in the absence of measures to incite them to do
otherwise.  Therefore, if the survival of each linguistic community is
to be assured, the legitimacy of taking such measures must be recognized.

Now, there may be disagreement about the extent of the threats to the French
community's continued viability and about what incitative measures
are reasonable and appropriate, but not on the goal itself, nor on the
principle that individual rights must sometime be traded off against
collective linguistic rights.  If you don't think collectivities can have
rights think of them as the rights of future generations to be able to
live in their official language (and as the rights of their currently living
parents to have that be the case).

To me (and most French Canadians I would think) the goal of ensuring
continued viability of the French community is more important than the
right to education or other government services in one's language in areas
of the country where the other linguistic community is dominant.  The
provision of these services is commendable, but the level of services
provided should not interfere with the continued viability of the communities.
Similarly, I think it is reasonable to resrict the rights of immigrants
to chose which language they will be educated in because immigrants
should be required to support the purposes of the country to which they
freely chose to immigrate.

I am not sure how these views should be implemented into linguistic
policies and constitutional provisions.  I do not like the Meech Lake
Accord much because it is too vague on collective linguistic rights
and probably too restrictive with regards to constitutional change
in non-linguistic matters.  But I think criticisms of it and Bill 158
that focus on individual rights to services in one's language are
misguided.  The Trudeau vision of a unitary bilingual Canada is a recipe
for conflict and dissapearance of the French community.

Yves Lesperance       lesperan@ai.toronto.edu

rwwetmore@grand.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (08/04/89)

In article <89Aug3.145600edt.10404@neat.cs.toronto.edu> lesperan@ai.toronto.edu (Yves Lesperance) writes:
>I don't know if a rational discussion on this topic can be held in this
>forum, but let me try...
  A commendable try ... I think my disagreements with some of the
following arise from the degree of emphasis that you place on the linguistic
aspect to culture from the many other ways in which culture can be defined
(no one would accuse those from India of being English, though that is in
fact the lingua franca of the country), and from the implications in several
statements that there is a Canadian nation and a French Canadian nation which
are simply defined and separated by language and geography. I would hope that
there are French Canadians that view themselves first as Canadians, just as
there are many non-francophones that view themselves as Canadians before
they append their ethnic background.
  But a difference in degree can be resolved rationally if there is willingness
to compromise on both sides, and compromise is a *very* Canadian trait.

>Portions of Bill 101, 158, and various provisions of the Meech Lake Accord
>have been largely viewed in English Canada as arbitrary restrictions on
>individual rights.  What need to be recognized in Canadian political
>culture, are the rights of linguistic communities.
  The danger of enshrining rights in linguistic *communities* is one of
falling into a tribal philosophy where as with visible markings of race
or creed the identification and partitionning of the groups into
competing communities is enhanced rather than diffused. Furthermore, the
lack of communication is made even more difficult.
  There have to be strong *individual* rights to preserve the minority
elements in such communities, since it is through the minority elements on
each side who experience both cultures that most of the interaction must
take place. It is also the presence of minority elements that give the
young child the first experience of differences that can later grow into
real tolerance. Uni-cultural melting pots like the US do not really
understand other peoples, while the more intensely one concentrates on
ones own culture, the more one misses of the lessons and experiences of
others.
  However, the strong attachment of the French around the world to the
French language, and their view of it in relation to their culture is a
fact that I agree must be brought into the equation.

>Both communities
>associated with Canada's official languages currently have some geographical
>area where it is possible to largely lead one's public as well as private life
>in that official language.  Each linguistic community is large enough to
>generate a lively cultural environment.  It should be part of the Canadian
>raison d'etre that this state of affairs should continue in the future.
  It is not clear that the presence of minorities in both of those communities
have inhibited in any way such environments. And in many ways I think they
have enhanced them. Shoul it not be part of the raison d'etre to insure that
these elements should continue as well, as I believe was the original
definition of the two distinct societies which formed the Canadian identity?

>But the situation of each community in this respect is widely different.
>Assimilation has decimated the French community throughout the course of
>Canadian history.
  But as an English speaking Canadian, I feel that the original British
culture that was part of the founding of Canada, has also been largely
decimated. And it is more difficult to define and arrest the cultural
erosion when it is not strongly associated with language. Some of it lies
in the philosophical and emotional foundation that comes when a mother
tells fairy stories or instills other cultural values into a small child.
As more non-British immigrants have arrived and later marriages have mixed
other cultures into the people it has made English speaking Canadians a
far different people than any Briton in merry old England.
  However, the Canadian culture that has grown up in its place is not
really so bad, nor has the original totally disappeared. I do not think
French culture in Canada will fair much differently, unless it were to
return to the isolation of its rural past before the Quiet Revolution.

>Unless
>they speak French before they arrive, they will chose to integrate into
>the English community in the absence of measures to incite them to do
>otherwise.  Therefore, if the survival of each linguistic community is
>to be assured, the legitimacy of taking such measures must be recognized.
  I do not believe that French communities are that unpalatable compared
to the English ones that other aspects such as job possibilities, locale
and other factors are so overwhelmed as to require such strong coercion.
  But I think the basic objection I have to this is fact that it *is*
coercion, and a repudiation of free choice, rather than being an incentive
driven approach which would draw converts to the French community because
of obvious advantages.
  There is something wrong if you have to use such tactics, and I simply
do not think there is that much wrong with Quebec to justify such claims.

>Now, there may be disagreement about the extent of the threats to the French
>community's continued viability and about what incitative measures
>are reasonable and appropriate, but not on the goal itself, nor on the
>principle that individual rights must sometime be traded off against
>collective linguistic rights.
  This is a general enough precept that it allows a virtually unlimited
spectrum of interpretation. Would you agree that the preservation of the
linguistic rights of the minority falls under this, and thus the
individual rights of francophone Quebecers must sometimes be traded off
against those of its Inuit and native communities?

>To me (and most French Canadians I would think) the goal of ensuring
>continued viability of the French community is more important than the
>right to education or other government services in one's language in areas
>of the country where the other linguistic community is dominant.  The
>provision of these services is commendable, but the level of services
>provided should not interfere with the continued viability of the communities.
  My disagreement with this is the degree of tribal behaviour this suggests
to me. I don't think one can cut oneself off from the outside world to quite
the extent of not caring what happens outside ones own community, or to
members of that community outside certain demographic bounds.
  But I agree that complete service in the language of choice anywhere in
the country is not a practical scenario. There has to be sufficient local
populace that they can support such services themselves, and it is still
their responsibility to interact with the majority culture outside their
community on terms acceptable to the majority.
  The provision of such services by the majority is commendable, but the
denial of the minority the right to provide such services for themselves
when they are willing and able to support it is reprehensible, not so?

>Similarly, I think it is reasonable to resrict the rights of immigrants
>to chose which language they will be educated in because immigrants
>should be required to support the purposes of the country to which they
>freely chose to immigrate.
  I think the restriction of rights should be used as a last and temporary
resort, not as a fundamental vehicle of policy. Surely there are other
alternatives which have not been exhausted, and there is no imminent
threat such as occurred in WWII, or the FLQ crisis to justify panic
reactions to protect ones *country*. On the downside, the impact of such
negative measures on the psyches of both the oppressor and the oppressed,
not to mention other civilized peoples with whom one must deal will have
long term repercussions.

>I am not sure how these views should be implemented into linguistic
>policies and constitutional provisions.  I do not like the Meech Lake
>Accord much because it is too vague on collective linguistic rights
>and probably too restrictive with regards to constitutional change
>in non-linguistic matters.  But I think criticisms of it and Bill 158
>that focus on individual rights to services in one's language are
>misguided.
  Over reacting, maybe.

>The Trudeau vision of a unitary bilingual Canada is a recipe
>for conflict and dissapearance of the French community.
  It might work if it did not force the integration of the two communities
but instead worked to expose each to the others culture (most particularly
the anglophone populations in this regard), protected the minorities from
gross domination and assisted the channels of communication between the
two. Time would presumably solve the remaining difficulties, though I
doubt that total integration would ever occur, nor should it really be a
desired goal.

>Yves Lesperance       lesperan@ai.toronto.edu

Ross W. Wetmore                 | rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo          | rwwetmore@math.Uwaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1       | {uunet, ubc-vision, utcsri}
(519) 885-1211 ext 4719         |   !watmath!rwwetmore

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (08/05/89)

In article <89Aug3.145600edt.10404@neat.cs.toronto.edu> lesperan@ai.toronto.edu (Yves Lesperance) writes:
>Portions of Bill 101, 158, and various provisions of the Meech Lake Accord
>have been largely viewed in English Canada as arbitrary restrictions on
>individual rights.  What need to be recognized in Canadian political
>culture, are the rights of linguistic communities.  Both communities
>associated with Canada's official languages currently have some geographical
>area where it is possible to largely lead one's public as well as private life
>in that official language.  Each linguistic community is large enough to
>generate a lively cultural environment.  It should be part of the Canadian
>raison d'etre that this state of affairs should continue in the future.
>But the situation of each community in this respect is widely different.
>Assimilation has decimated the French community throughout the course of
>Canadian history.  Immigrants come to Canada looking largely for a less
>imperialistic version of the American way of life and culture.  Unless
>they speak French before they arrive, they will chose to integrate into
>the English community in the absence of measures to incite them to do
>otherwise.  Therefore, if the survival of each linguistic community is
>to be assured, the legitimacy of taking such measures must be recognized.

I have come to the conclusion the the terms 'community rights' and
'individual rights' are mis-named; in fact, they are backwards.

The rights that we call 'individual rights,' such as freedom of
speech, assembly, non-discrimination on the basis of race, sex, etc.
are really community rights.  Why?  Because they apply equally to
everyone under the law.  Read my lips:  APPLY EQUALLY TO EVERYONE.
How much more community-oriented can you get?

So-called 'community rights', as spelled out by Yves, are really
individual rights.  Why?  Because they are really privileges demanded
by small-but-vocal groups of people, who insist on getting their way
'for the good of the community.'  Yves claims that the 'community
right' of the Francophone community to push immigrants around and
sucker them into investing their lives in the Quebec French community
(instead of the much larger and more economically viable North
American English community) for the good of future generations of
Francophones, so they will be able to live in their own community.
BUNK!  Anyone who does not emmigrate (with a few exceptions) gets to
live in their own community.  Just don't leave your community, and you
get it.  Whatever the language of future generations of Quebecers is,
they will, by definition, get to live in their own community.  What
Yves is crying for is the right to impose his idea of what that
community should be like; Yves' individual right to push other people
around.

All attempts to define 'linguistic community rights' are really
attempts by certain individuals to impose their preference for a
particular language on groups of other people.  If everyone is given
freedom of speech (read, write, post signs in whatever language), and
freedom of association (associage (read work for, employ, party with),
then everyone will get what they want in their life, and the community
will be happy.  If individuals get to push other people around, then
there will continue to be strife (@*$&^*@ XXXphones won't let me post
my sigh in YYY; I hate those XXXphones), and the community will be
unhappy.

>Now, there may be disagreement about the extent of the threats to the French
>community's continued viability and about what incitative measures
>are reasonable and appropriate, but not on the goal itself, nor on the
>principle that individual rights must sometime be traded off against
>collective linguistic rights.  If you don't think collectivities can have
>rights think of them as the rights of future generations to be able to
>live in their official language (and as the rights of their currently living
>parents to have that be the case).

Future generations will always get to live in their language of
choice, if the likes of 178 are defeated.  Only if it succeeds will
people be forced to live with the tyranny of a language that they did
not choose.

>To me (and most French Canadians I would think) the goal of ensuring
>continued viability of the French community is more important than the
>right to education or other government services in one's language in areas
>of the country where the other linguistic community is dominant.
Does it perhaps tell you something that you're having to use the big
government club to get people to stop drifting away from your
community?  To get people to join your community?  Do you really
believe that FORCING people to partake of the French culture is for
their benefit?  The people ARE the community, and when you force the
people to do something, you are OPRESSING the community.

>Yves Lesperance       lesperan@ai.toronto.edu

Login name:	sccowan			In real life: S. Crispin Cowan
Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"Everything to excess.  Moderation is for monks."
	-Lazarus Long

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (08/06/89)

In article <28168@watmath.waterloo.edu> sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) writes:

   In article <89Aug3.145600edt.10404@neat.cs.toronto.edu> lesperan@ai.toronto.edu (Yves Lesperance) writes:
   >To me (and most French Canadians I would think) the goal of ensuring
   >continued viability of the French community is more important than the
   >right to education or other government services in one's language in areas
   >of the country where the other linguistic community is dominant.

   Does it perhaps tell you something that you're having to use the big
   government club to get people to stop drifting away from your
   community?  To get people to join your community?  Do you really
   believe that FORCING people to partake of the French culture is for
   their benefit?  The people ARE the community, and when you force the
   people to do something, you are OPRESSING the community.

Hallelujah.  It seems to me that if the French community in Quebec, or
any community anywhere, wishes to perpetuate its existence and
culture, then it is its MEMBERS' responsibility, not that of
immigrants.

Admittedly, these immigrants may have a choice in where
they eventually live in Canada (although I believe that Quebec has
some sort of special privilege that allows it to "claim" X percent of
the immigrants to Canada), they should be allowed to exercise every
human being's freedom of choice concerning their language and
education.  Of course, this must be somewhat constrained so that they
can function effectively within their new country -- so maybe THIS is
some justification for imposing French on immigrants to Quebec.  But
not this "oh my gosh save our culture" cry!  If your culture is worth
saving, then it will be saved without the need for compulsion.

Just look at the French in France.  You don't see them worrying overly
much about the "intrusion" of English terms into their language.  In
fact, those terms are officially recognized by l'Academie Francaise.
If there's one things that p***es me off, it's Quebecers wanting to be
more French than the French.

Thank god my parents chose to send me to English school.  At least *I*
will be able to send my children to the school I feel is best for
them.
--
Kim Nguyen 					kim@watsup.waterloo.edu
Systems Design Engineering  --  University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

gerard@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gerard Stafleu) (08/11/89)

In article <KIM.89Aug5134544@watsup.waterloo.edu>, kim@watsup.waterloo.edu
(T. Kim Nguyen) writes:
> Just look at the French in France.  You don't see them worrying overly
> much about the "intrusion" of English terms into their language.

If  you believe that, I have some nices bridges accross the Seine for
sale...

In the late sixties the French government had ALGOL-60 officially
translated into French (meaning that keywords like BEGIN, END, PROCEDURE
and so on got translated to French equivalents).  Then there was a
strong drive to use the French version in schools, universities and so
on.  I'm not sure how successful this exercise was in the end, or
whether they repeated it with other languages.

This is just one example, but it is representative.  Not only do (many
of) the French think that their culture (and language) is just great
(they may have a point here), they often also think it is far superior
to the feeble attempts of the rest of humanity (and they are definitely
getting carried away there).  In France, after all, culture is not just
culture, c'est culture.

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (08/12/89)

In article <3521@uwovax.uwo.ca> gerard@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gerard Stafleu) writes:

   In the late sixties the French government had ALGOL-60 officially
   translated into French (meaning that keywords like BEGIN, END, PROCEDURE
   and so on got translated to French equivalents).  Then there was a
   strong drive to use the French version in schools, universities and so
   on.  I'm not sure how successful this exercise was in the end, or
   whether they repeated it with other languages.

I once got a close look at the French-ized version of Logo.  It was
absolutely incomprehensible.  From the major French computing
magazines that I saw, programs were written in the normal "English"
computer languages.

Perhaps the French have gone on with their language conversion, but if
they have, they are simply heading for a dead end, because no one else
in the world will use that language but them, not when even the
Japanese use the English versions.
--

gilles@alberta.uucp (Gilles Simon Dionne) (08/14/89)

In article <KIM.89Aug12020709@watsup.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) writes:
>In article <3521@uwovax.uwo.ca> gerard@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gerard Stafleu) writes:
>
>   In the late sixties the French government had ALGOL-60 officially
>   translated into French (meaning that keywords like BEGIN, END, PROCEDURE
>   and so on got translated to French equivalents).  Then there was a
>   strong drive to use the French version in schools, universities and so
>   on.  I'm not sure how successful this exercise was in the end, or
>   whether they repeated it with other languages.
>
>I once got a close look at the French-ized version of Logo.  It was
>absolutely incomprehensible.

Perhaps, you can't understand French ? This does make it much harder to
comprehend!! :-)

>Perhaps the French have gone on with their language conversion, but if
>they have, they are simply heading for a dead end, because no one else
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>in the world will use that language but them, not when even the
>Japanese use the English versions.
>--
  Why? Do you care if your favorite software package is written in C, Pascal
or Modula II or directly in assembler ? You don't see what's inside so
what is the difference to you? I believe it is the same for "French" or
"English" programming languages. If they write the "best" software on the
market, why should they have problems selling it? Maintenance by local
people you say? Well, do remember that translating an English computer
language into a French computer language mostly only involves changing the
table of keywords recognized by the compiler. It is not very hard to make
a translator available. When I did my Bachelors degree at the University
of Sherbrooke in Quebec, we had both a "French Pascal", an "English Pascal"
and a "French to English translator". I found that I could work with either
pretty much interchangeably.

                               Gilles