[can.general] Our overtaxed country

stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) (08/10/89)

   Well, Michael Wilson's latest tax started me thinking again about how
over-taxed we are, and I have a couple of questions:

1.  Could anyone post the list of tax freedom days for each province for
    1989?  All I can remember is that here in Ontario, as in many (most?)
    other provinces, it's sometime in July (disgusting, isn't it?)

2.  Are there in fact any countries other than Canada where Joe/Josephine
    Average pays more than half his/her income to the various governments?

3.  Other than the usual answer ("because we're Canadians"), why do we only
    make a fuss for a couple of weeks when a tax hike comes along and then sit
    back and take it quietly?
! Stephen M. Dunn              stephen@ziebmef.UUCP ! DISCLAIMER:  Who'd ever !
!---------------------------------------------------! claim such dumb ideas?  !
! I have become comfortably numb ...                ! I sure as heck wouldn't !

Oliver@real.FIDONET.ORG (Oliver McDonald) (08/11/89)

In an article of <9 Aug 89 19:46:54 GMT>, stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:

 SMD>2.  Are there in fact any countries other than Canada where
 SMD>Joe/Josephine Average pays more than half his/her income to the
 SMD>various governments?

Yes, Sweden for one.

Oliver.
--

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (08/11/89)

In article <1989Aug9.154655.4865@ziebmef.uucp> stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>3.  Other than the usual answer ("because we're Canadians"), why do we only
>    make a fuss for a couple of weeks when a tax hike comes along and then sit
>    back and take it quietly?

Because we like having fantastic roads to drive on. We like having 'free'
medical care. We like having UI around for those unexpected layoffs. (What
would you do if someone invented a self-programming computer?) We like all
the benifits that living in Canada gives us.

I agree that the government does have spending problems. (There is something
wrong with a system where you can make more money in government than you can
in the private sector...). But this is no reason to panic.

There are still tons of people clamouring to get into Canada from other
countries (even the almighty US of A!). Maybe this means we have it good?

--
"Wednesdays, I wear a    | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
wet suit with the back   | chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)

stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) (08/14/89)

In article <243.24E2717B@real.FIDONET.ORG> Oliver@real.FIDONET.ORG (Oliver McDonald) writes:
$In an article of <9 Aug 89 19:46:54 GMT>, stephen@ziebmef.uucp (moi) writes:
 SMD>2.  Are there in fact any countries other than Canada where
 SMD>Joe/Josephine Average pays more than half his/her income to the
 SMD>various governments?
$Yes, Sweden for one.

   As I understand it, though, they get something for their tax money.  We,
on the other hand, get to support large numbers of civil servants and
renovations to the dwellings of Sir Brian and friends (okay, I'm being
cynical and sarcastic, but you get the idea).

dave@lsuc.on.ca (David Sherman) (08/14/89)

stephen@ziebmef.uucp (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:

>2.  Are there in fact any countries other than Canada where Joe/Josephine
>    Average pays more than half his/her income to the various governments?

Comparing tax rates between different system is a non-trivial task.
You can't simply answer with a number; there many factors involved.

For those interested in such matters, the Canadian Tax Journal
has a "Fiscal Figures" article, written by David Perry, in EVERY
issue (6 issues a year).  The articles typically compare and analyse
tax rates and expenditures, either among the provinces or among
various countries including Canada.  The Canadian Tax Journal,
which is published by the Canadian Tax Foundation, is available
in any decent law or business library.  Go browse through the past
several years' issues.

David Sherman
--
Moderator, mail.yiddish