[can.general] IEEE/ACM life insurance available in Canada?

kuldip@rohini.uucp (Kuldip Pathak) (08/13/89)

Recently, quite a few readers in misc.consumers pointed that IEEE
life insurance is a good deal. Is it available to canadian members?

How about the ACM plan? Is it same as IEEE's, and available in Canada?

Thanks

Kuldip Pathak               |   ...!{utzoo,utgpu}!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!kuldip%rohini
Ma Bell: (613) 765 4614     |  Bell Northern Research, Ottawa.

gh@ai.toronto.edu (Graeme Hirst) (08/16/89)

In article <1429@bnr-fos.UUCP> kuldip@rohini.uucp (Kuldip Pathak) writes:
>Recently, quite a few readers in misc.consumers pointed that IEEE
>life insurance is a good deal. Is it available to canadian members?
>How about the ACM plan? Is it same as IEEE's, and available in Canada?

I have had IEEE life insurance for years.  The main problem is only that
you have to pay in U.S. dollars, which means buying a money order every
six months.  (A cheque on a U.S. dollar account at a Canadian bank
cannot be processed by the U.S. Federal Reserve cheque-clearing system.)

It is essentially the same plan as ACM's, I understand.  But since the
pass-on discounts depend on the exact claim history of each group, the
final costs are likely to be different.  (I'd expect ACM to be be a
younger, healthier group!)

--
\\\\   Graeme Hirst    University of Toronto	Computer Science Department
////   uunet!utai!gh  /  gh@ai.toronto.edu  /  416-978-8747