[can.general] Canadians apathetic?

kevin@client1.DRETOR.UUCP (Socrates) (08/16/89)

In article <1989Aug13.220446.2604@ziebmef.uucp> stephen@ziebmef.UUCP (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>Is this likely to happen?  No.  Why?  We're
>Canadians, prone to a life of peacefully accepting whatever the government
>choses to do to us, complaining a little and then sitting back and taking
>it.

Actually this has less to do with the fact that we are Canadians and more
to do with the fact that we are apathetic.  The government does these
things to us because we let them, not vice versa.  I would be willing to
bet that somewhere along the line unpopular policies are run through the
question "can we force them to do it for a short period?".

I for one would rather state the situation as "Is this likely to happen?
Yes, but it's going to take a lot of work to shake the apathy from
Canadians who are used to peacefully accepting...".  Then again, I'm an
eternal optimist.

--
--- Kevin Picott   NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
    "There can be no offense where none is taken" - Japanese Proverb

    kevin@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, or on some sites kevin@zorac.ARPA

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (08/17/89)

In article <2408@client1.DRETOR.UUCP> kevin@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Socrates) writes:
>Actually this has less to do with the fact that we are Canadians and more
>to do with the fact that we are apathetic.  The government does these
>things to us because we let them, not vice versa.

But why are we apathetic? perhaps because a so many of us 'Canadians'
are first (or second) generation immigrants, and we have it much better here
than we ever had anywhere else in the world...

[ Hmm, I think I just tied two can.general threads together... ]

--
"Wednesdays, I wear a    | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
wet suit with the back   | chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)