[can.general] Re^2: That F'n Fed. Sales Tax is Gonna *HURT*!!

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (08/20/89)

glee@sunray.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) writes:

>In article <1989Aug14.185256.1260@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle) writes:
>> [That the new tax will encourage bartering]

>Most of the bartering involves the services side of business. Do my tax return
>for me and I will clean your teeth. With the amount of paperwork the government
>has burdened the professional or small business man, I would think that it
>would encourage bartering. You don't have the pay the tax on the service, and
>you save yourself some paperwork!

Again, the government has anticipated you. They were looking for some way
to tax bartering as well. The small time barterer was not seen as a problem
but a number of large corporations were also in the bartering business.
"you send a computer to our loading docks and we'll send two photocopiers
to yours."

In a broad sense, the GST could be made to cover this since the tax is
on Goods and Services not the exchange of money. If the Government auditors
could show proof of a barter trade, it's possible that they could ask
for the GST on it.

At least I think its possible. I'm sure Dave Sherman will correct me
if I am wrong.

-david-
David Haynes			Sequent Computer Systems (Canada) Ltd.
"...and this is true, which is unusual for marketing." -- RG May 1989
...!{utgpu, yunexus, utai}!torsqnt!david -or- david@torsqnt.UUCP