[can.general] Somebody inform me on the error of my ways...

fare@.ucalgary.ca (Michael David Farebrother) (08/16/89)

	I just wonder if someone could shoot some holes in my theory.
Apart from the fact that no-one would elect people planning to do this,
what is wrong with throwing out the income tax act, and replacing it with
a "30(?)% income tax" , no exclusions, no deductions, just report your
income and pay 30% of it.
	Maybe the number is not enough, but what about the basic idea?

							Mycroft Farebrother

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (08/16/89)

In article <1713@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> fare@enelg.UUCP (Michael David Farebrother) writes:

>	I just wonder if someone could shoot some holes in my theory.
>Apart from the fact that no-one would elect people planning to do this,
>what is wrong with throwing out the income tax act, and replacing it with
>a "30(?)% income tax" , no exclusions, no deductions, just report your
>income and pay 30% of it.
>	Maybe the number is not enough, but what about the basic idea?
>
>							Mycroft Farebrother

The idea is called flat rate tax.  It is the true Zen of the tax
reform attempts carried out in the US and Canada.  Unfortunately,
these attempts were severely watered down:  instead of one tax
bracket, there are three; instead of no deductions and a low rate,
there are many deductions (fewer than before, but still many) and a
higher rate.  In short, they wimped out.

To actually put it into effect, there would still have to be some
fudging.  For instance, when you say 'income', you usually mean after
paying all of your costs.  What are allowable costs?  Employee
salaries definately, but what about sales trips?  Taking a client to
lunch?  Taking a client to a three-martini lunch?  Installing a pool
in your back yard so you can entertain clients at home?  Where to draw
the line.

A second issue is the poor, who in general need every cent they can
get.  This is relatively simple; just apply a flat-rate tax of (say)
20% to all income above (say) $20,000.  Thus, a person with only
$20,000 pays no tax, a person with $30,000 would pay $2000, and a
person with $60,000 would pay $8000.  Sounds pretty good to me.

It's detractors complain that it is 'regressive', which means that it
does not explicitly attack the rich in an attempt to get them to pay a
greater share.  I dispute this, because the rich don't pay a large
enough share now, due to the many loop holes that only work for the
rich.  If it was implemented as I (roughly) describe above, it would
proably bring in a bit more money, cost almost nothing to collect, and
probably get a much larger share from the rich.  Sounds good to me.

In summary, someone who proposed this was elected, his name was
Michael Wilson, but the special interest whiners got to him, and so he
was not allowed to actually do it.

Crispin
Login name:	sccowan			In real life: S. Crispin Cowan
Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"Everything to excess.  Moderation is for monks."
	-Lazarus Long

ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) (08/17/89)

A flat-rate rax wouldn't be such a bad idea. At least then, you know
exactly what you have to pay (in relation to how much you make).
--
        Nick Donaldson
Internet: Ndonald@Ccu.UManitoba.CA or Ccm.UManitoba.CA

pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) (08/23/89)

In article <1713@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> fare@enelg.UUCP (Michael David Farebrother) writes:

>	I just wonder if someone could shoot some holes in my theory.
>Apart from the fact that no-one would elect people planning to do this,
>what is wrong with throwing out the income tax act, and replacing it with
>a "30(?)% income tax" , no exclusions, no deductions, just report your
>income and pay 30% of it.
>	Maybe the number is not enough, but what about the basic idea?

The problem with that basic idea is that the Canadian Government has had the
idea for decades that the Income Tax Act is a social program, not an
instrument to generate revenue.  If we could overcome that obstacle, we
would only then have to contend with the thousands of irate tax lawyers,
accountants, civil servants, and other assorted chiselers.  It would also be
hard on people whos income is kind of ambiguous.  For instance, I'm a
computer consultant part-time.  I want to buy a 386.  Does this get
subtracted from my net income?  What about the trips and phone calls I had
to make to get my first contract?

(Just my $0.02 contribution to can.taxlaw)
--
Paul Tomblin,  First Officer, Golgafrinchan B Ark       | ADA was invented
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision!pt ??               | because  Vogon

TMCLELLA@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tim Mclellan) (08/25/89)

In article <723@geovision.UUCP>, pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) writes:

>the Income Tax Act is a social program, not an
>instrument to generate revenue.  If we could overcome that obstacle, we
>would only then have to contend with the thousands of irate tax lawyers,
>accountants, civil servants, and other assorted chiselers.

Aren't there hundreds of thousands of irate tax payers?  Whose running
this country anyway  8{)  ?

>I'm a
>computer consultant part-time.  I want to buy a 386.  Does this get
>subtracted from my net income?  What about the trips and phone calls I had
>to make to get my first contract?

How do you pay taxes on that now?  The definition of income won't change,
just the way you pay taxes on it.

--
Tim McLellan                        University of Alberta
                                    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada