[can.general] car phone - its real advantage

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (08/30/89)

In article <331@ccu.UManitoba.CA>, ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
> Considering the incredible number of phone booths that one
> can find in any reasonably-sized town or city, a car phone
> isn't extremely necessary.

I thought that the biggest advantage/disadvantage (depending on
your perspective) was not the ability to phone out, but that
people could get in touch with you while you were on the move.

Is this not especially important to those whose jobs are in
sales or servicing and thus need to hear from their customers
as soon as possible?

++++++++:  J G Miller              mail: Room 024, Chemistry Building
InterNet: <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA>          University of Western Ontario
NetNorth: <A4346@UWOCC1.BITNET>          LONDON, Ontario, N6A 5B7
  UseNet: <a4346@julian.UUCP>     phone: (519) 679-2111 ext 6325

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (08/30/89)

In article <3713@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:

> people could get in touch with you while you were on the move.
> Is this not especially important to those whose jobs are in
> sales or servicing and thus need to hear from their customers
> as soon as possible?

Oh, great.  Not only do we have people holding telephones while they
try to pilot their oversize tin cans, but we can expect to see them
consulting their daytimers, writing notes to themselves, ...  If this
trend continues, I think I'll start spending more time underground.

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (08/30/89)

  > Oh, great.  Not only do we have people holding telephones while they
  > try to pilot their oversize tin cans, but we can expect to see them
  > consulting their daytimers, writing notes to themselves, ...  If this
  > trend continues, I think I'll start spending more time underground.
  >
  > Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark

i actually saw this while driving in this morning.
the guy was all over the road, not to mention that he was doing 80 km/h
on the inside lane, leaving hordes of space in front of him, while maintaining
the same speed as the transport to his right.

commuting's enough of a hassle without a??holes like this.

--
[ Jim Mercer         jim@lsuc.on.ca   ||   utzoo!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-3378 ]
[ System Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]