[can.general] Driving

hwt@.uucp (Henry Troup) (08/31/89)

In article <1989Aug30.114349.2899@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Mercer) writes:

>... leaving hordes of space in front of him,
>--
>[ Jim Mercer         jim@lsuc.on.ca   ||   utzoo!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-3378 ]
>[ System Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]

Since when is leaving space bad driving ? :-) The rest of the posting
describes behaviour that _is_ bad driving.

oneill@teecs.UUCP (Sean O'Neill) (09/01/89)

In message <1989Aug30.114349.2899@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer)
writes:

>i actually saw this while driving in this morning.
>the guy was all over the road, not to mention that he was doing 80 km/h
>on the inside lane, leaving hordes of space in front of him, while maintaining
>the same speed as the transport to his right.

>commuting's enough of a hassle without a??holes like this.

Since when do people driving all over the road, doing 80 km/h in the left
lane (the same speed as the guy beside him), leaving hordes of space in
front, have to have a phone before being considered an a!!hole?!?!

Are you saying its alright to drive like this _unless_ you have a phone?
For all we know, the guy could be drunk, or asleep, or fumbling for his
cigarettes.

Use a little defensive driving skills when confronted with a situation
such as this.  Speed up, or slow down, hell, change lanes, just "leave
yourself an out".  (extract from Y.D. of C. drivers ed. book)   Its
the same situation as if the car was a truck hauling an insecure load of
fire wood.  Why stay close to this guy?

BTW, if someone is complaining that the guy next to you is on the phone
while driving, that means you are actually looking at him rather than
the road ahead of you!  What's wrong with this picture? :-\

| Sean O'Neill          ...lsuc!teecs!oneill  |   "I always wanted to be an   |
| Test Equipment Engineering                  |    Engineer.  Now I is one."  |
| Litton Systems Canada Limited    (Toronto)  |                               |
| Phone: (416) 249-1231  Fax: (416) 246-5233  |   Lakehead University Alumni  |

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (09/01/89)

In article <169@bmers58.UUCP> hwt@bmerh490.UUCP () writes:
>In article <2899@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Mercer) writes:
>>
>>... leaving hordes of space in front of him,
>
>Since when is leaving space bad driving ? :-) The rest of the posting
>describes behaviour that _is_ bad driving.

typically, yes, but in context:

In article <2899@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Mercer) writes:
>the guy was all over the road, not to mention that he was doing 80 km/h
>on the inside lane, leaving hordes of space in front of him, while maintaining
>the same speed as the transport to his right.

i doesn't bother me that he had space in front of him, it was the 50 or so cars
riding on my bumper that bothered me about the space he had in front of him.

don't the signs say "slower traffic stay right"?
--
[ Jim Mercer         jim@lsuc.on.ca   ||   utzoo!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-3378 ]
[ System Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]
[ "Have you ever read the instructions on a packet of toothpicks?"           ]
[         - Arcane Jill Watson, wife of Wonko the Sane                       ]