[can.general] STOP vs ARRET

Stewart.Clamen@CLAMEN.AVALON.CS.CMU.EDU (08/31/89)

From: "Stewart M. Clamen" <clamen@CS.CMU.EDU>

Actually, the reason why ARRET looks silly to me is because it is the
wrong part of speech.  Most of the other signs are in the imperative
(Yield, Do Not Enter) and I've always assumed that the "Stop" on
international STOP signs was an imperative verb, as opposed to the
noun, which "Arret" implies.

I have actually seen one ARRETEZ sign.  If anyone is in Montreal and
is interested, it is in Ville St. Pierre, on the 20 Service road, a
block south of St. Jacques.

Stewart M. Clamen
School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890

INTERNET: clamen@CS.CMU.EDU
USENET:   ...!uunet!"clamen@cs.cmu.edu"

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) (08/31/89)

In article <28782@watmath.waterloo.edu> Stewart.Clamen%CLAMEN.AVALON.CS.CMU.EDU@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
>Actually, the reason why ARRET looks silly to me is because it is the
>wrong part of speech.  Most of the other signs are in the imperative
>(Yield, Do Not Enter) and I've always assumed that the "Stop" on
>international STOP signs was an imperative verb, as opposed to the
>noun, which "Arret" implies.

While the imperative verb is definitely used more frequently, you see the
occasional nouns.  These are mostly in pictorial form, though, such as the
sign indicating a railway crossing.  "Arret" just denotes "un arret".  The
problem with "Arretez" is that it is longer than "Arret".

They avoid this problem at the Universite de Sherbrooke by using a pictogram
for the stop sign (the palm of a hand inside a red octagon).

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

Stewart.Clamen@CLAMEN.AVALON.CS.CMU.EDU (09/03/89)

From: "Stewart M. Clamen" <clamen@CS.CMU.EDU>

In article <428@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) writes:

   In article <28782@watmath.waterloo.edu> Stewart.Clamen%CLAMEN.AVALON.CS.CMU.EDU@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
   >Actually, the reason why ARRET looks silly to me is because it is the
   >wrong part of speech.  Most of the other signs are in the imperative
   >(Yield, Do Not Enter) and I've always assumed that the "Stop" on
   >international STOP signs was an imperative verb, as opposed to the
   >noun, which "Arret" implies.

   While the imperative verb is definitely used more frequently, you see the
   occasional nouns.  These are mostly in pictorial form, though, such as the
   sign indicating a railway crossing.  "Arret" just denotes "un arret".  The
   problem with "Arretez" is that it is longer than "Arret".

   They avoid this problem at the Universite de Sherbrooke by using a pictogram
   for the stop sign (the palm of a hand inside a red octagon).

I've seen the white palm STOP signs in Israel and like them a lot.  I
think that the red octagon IS the international symbol for a STOP sign
(so any text within is redundant), but I still like seeing pictograms
in signs.

Here's one of my favourites: (You can see it on the Laurentian
Autoroute (Quebec 15) north of Montreal)

 -----------
|  /        |
| | |       |  <--- looks like a can
|  |  |==== |  <--- judge's gavel