[can.general] car fone

edlee@gandalf.UUCP (Ed Lee) (08/22/89)

What ever happened to the saying:

     "Do  not converse with the operator of this vehicle while
      its in motion!"

Have   we  become  such  good  drivers   that  we  are  capable  of
multitasking?   I don't think so!  Then why do the government allow
people to have car phones?  Thus:

     "Do  not converse with the operator of this vehicle while
      its in motion!  Converse with the  operator  of  another
      vehicle!!  (Besides, it'll be safer for you!)"

Personally,  I don't have one, don't plan on getting one, can't see
that  I would ever want one.  Besides, I'm not even good at talking
to other  people in the car while  I'm driving; especially when I'm
going through  some heavy  traffic (not  necessarily stop  and go).
However, I'm curious about what the statistics are in phone related
car accidents; someone out there must  have  some  data  this.    I
wonder whether  Bell considered  the consequences  of their  bid to
make more money than the millions they are making aready.

     "Honest  officer, it wasn't my fault!   My wife just told
      me she is pregnant!  That's when I dropped the phone and
      lost control of my car!!"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
EdLee@gandalf.UUCP          e-mail:  lsuc!nrcaer!dgbt!gandalf!edlee
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The opinion  expressed here are mine or  no one's depending on your
implications so you're not allowed  to  blame  me  or  anyone  just
because you don't like it!

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (08/27/89)

In article <2588@gandalf.UUCP> edlee@gandalf.UUCP (Ed Lee) writes:

   Have   we  become  such  good  drivers   that  we  are  capable  of
   multitasking?   I don't think so!  Then why do the government allow
   people to have car phones?

   However, I'm curious about what the statistics are in phone related
   car accidents; someone out there must  have  some  data  this.

   -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
   EdLee@gandalf.UUCP          e-mail:  lsuc!nrcaer!dgbt!gandalf!edlee

I think that if *anyone* is going to be allowed to use a car phone,
then there should be a requirement that those phones be hands-free,
and that dialing be hands-free too (it already exists).  That way, the
!@#$ show-offs will have to shell out more $$$ !!  :-)
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca

ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) (08/28/89)

In article <2588@gandalf.UUCP> edlee@gandalf.UUCP (Ed Lee) writes:
>Have   we  become  such  good  drivers   that  we  are  capable  of
>multitasking?   I don't think so!  Then why do the government allow
>people to have car phones?  Thus:
I guess the car phone idea is another product of our we-want-it-now
society. Considering the incredible number of phone booths that one
can find in any reasonably-sized town or city, a car phone isn't extremely
necessary. I think we managed to live without them before. And, I HIGHLY
DOUBT THAT WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH DRIVERS to be on the road without the
distraction of car phones. If it isn't bad enough that people don't seem
to pay attention as they drive, what happens when they are chatting away
with someone and don't even notice the light they went through or the
crosswalk they were supposed to stop at. I'm not exaggerating either.
I have seen a lot of drivers who just don't pay attention as they drive.
The idea of car phones makes it worse. That's my opinion anyway. I
suppose answering machines will be the next thing to go into the car. :-)
At this rate, there will be so much stuff in the car, there will be no
room for the driver. :-) Not a bad idea maybe.........:-)

--
        Nick Donaldson
Internet: Ndonald@Ccu.UManitoba.CA or Ccm.UManitoba.CA

TMCLELLA@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tim Mclellan) (08/29/89)

In article <2588@gandalf.UUCP>, edlee@gandalf.UUCP (Ed Lee) writes:

>why do the government allow
>people to have car phones?

Are not coffee cups, cigarettes, loose pets also a danger  8{(  ?

--
Tim McLellan                        University of Alberta
                                    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) (08/29/89)

> TMCLELLA writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <662@UALTAVM.BITNET>
>
> Org.  : University of Alberta VM/CMS
> Person: Tim Mclellan
>
> Are not coffee cups, cigarettes, loose pets also a danger  8{(  ?

Yes! and they should all be given tickets for driving with undue care and
attention.

ttul
gm

gerard@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gerard Stafleu) (08/29/89)

In article <662@UALTAVM.BITNET>, TMCLELLA@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tim Mclellan) writes:

> Are not coffee cups, cigarettes, loose pets also a danger  8{(  ?

Yep, and if you cause an accident because you spill hot coffee on your
legs while driving, you get charged with reckless driving.  No doubt the
same will happen if you hit someone while chatting on the phone.  A few
such convictions, and the insurance rates for cars with phones in them
will go up.  Then only the people who can really pay for it will have
car phones.  Ah, the beauty of our free for all capitalistic system!
(Of course in a free for none communistic system car phones aren't be
a problem, because there are no cars.)
Gerard Stafleu
(519) 661-2151 Ext. 6043
Internet: gerard@uwovax.uwo.ca
BITNET:   gerard@uwovax

nollaig@yunexus.UUCP (Nollaig MacKenzie) (08/31/89)

In article <450@mindlink.UUCP> a379@mindlink.UUCP (Gordon Mulcaster) writes:
>> TMCLELLA writes:
>>
>> Msg-ID: <662@UALTAVM.BITNET>
>>
>> Org.  : University of Alberta VM/CMS
>> Person: Tim Mclellan
>>
>> Are not coffee cups, cigarettes, loose pets also a danger  8{(  ?
>
>Yes! and they should all be given tickets for driving with undue care and
>attention.
>
>ttul
>gm

	Nerds should know about negation scope.

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (09/03/89)

In article <662@UALTAVM.BITNET> it's written:
>In article <2588@gandalf.UUCP>, edlee@gandalf.UUCP (Ed Lee) writes:
>
>>why do the government allow
>>people to have car phones?
>
>Are not coffee cups, cigarettes, loose pets also a danger  8{(  ?

Coffee cups contain coffee that helps one wake up in the morning
during the daily 2 hour 100+km commute to work.

Cigarettes are are an addictive substance that some people utilize
with the contents of a coffee cup.

Loose pets are a hazard that only fools would allow in a car.

My coffee cup doesn't move around on me.  A parakeet or a stressed-out
gazelle probably would be distracting, so I'm not about to try it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to posting articles like this one
while driving down the 401 (very_slowly) on my portable connected
to my celular phone (guess I'll have to buy this stuff).  :-)

(I don't have a mobile phone; that would be an expensive distrction)

>Tim McLellan                        University of Alberta

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!